Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there who has found a universal dog guard/barrier that works well in the Ampera? Our dog has grown up enough to learn the velcro pocket is optional and it would be nice to know someone else has got something to fit nicely before buying.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Bump.
Looking to get one to allow me to load the boot tot the top.

·
EREV owner
205 Posts
Bump.
Looking to get one to allow me to load the boot tot the top.
With dogs? lol

I was thinking of making one from mesh out of a DIY store, like the front grill for the rad.
A way to anchor it at the bottom to stop the dog pushing it forward in a crash would need to be found, but it should be possible.
Anyone else try this yet?

Peter

·
EREV owner
205 Posts
dog.jpg

Please try not to get too excited by the stunning art work!!!!
If the mesh was hinged at the bottom another piece (solid metal or wood) could fit in the bottom of the boot and wedge the mesh between the seats and the rear boot lip.
The support in this fantastic artwork (ahem) could locate into the armrest mounting to hold the mesh in place.
Another option would be to use support arms (like for the bonnet) from the mesh at each side to the floor section in the boot to achieve the same thing.
The whole thing could be folded up when not in use and either left in the boot upside down (solid side up as the new floor) or stored at home.

Thoughts guys?

·
EREV owner
205 Posts
dog2.jpg
Version 2.
Wood sheet on boot floor, mesh hinged at bottom. Two bonnet mount type arms either side.Mseh would not be this large in practise, just easier to draw.
Again, try not to get over excited by the stunning artwork lol

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
How about a leash round the dogs neck, and the other end shackled to one of those steel loops in the boot-space where you can fasten luggage-ties/bungees etc? Keep it short enough & dog won't be able to climb over seats maybe?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Dog guard worked out fine.
As it clamps the centre leather bag thingy in place I actually can't see any dog getting out.
As out dog is rather small he tends to come in the front seat

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,362 Posts
When I read the title to this thread I read it as "Ampera Guard Dog"... why on Earth would anyone want an Ampera guard dog....
To protect the convertible Ampera pictured in post #5?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I purchased the dog guard that @Marli recommended and it looks ideal (thanks @Marli), we will shortly have the dog (puppy) to go with it (knew there was something missing)! He is a Golden Retriever and I wondered when he is fully grown if it will have enough room in the boot space, or can the guard be used with the rear seats down to give the dog more room, has anyone experience of carrying a large dog in the car please? Also I notice that there are now dog car seat/hammocks which cover the back seat, has anyone used these and it they will protect the rear seat.(Golden Retrievers are known for finding the muddiest puddles).
I am trying to get this right as a few years ago I had a rescue dog and took him to the woods in an estate car with a dog guard. As we drove there I could see him in my mirror destroying the dog guard in order to sit next to me. He was really pleased with his achievement when he sat on the passenger seat, and it must have looked very funny to people I passed to see this dog fighting his way through the car and the driver remonstrating with the dog.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts