Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve long been a fan of the Ampera as a car that gets Hybrid “right” - the drive is always electric and the engine is purely a generator (except in a very specific set of rare circumstances where the engine is clutched in).

Every other hybrid on the market has gone for the approach of EV drive below 20mph then above that it’s just electric assistance for the ICE to smooth out gear changes etc, which always seemed a real shame.

Looking at the specs for the 2020 Jazz, it seems to follow the Ampera paradigm - the drive is always electric and the ICE is used only as a generator to charge the battery (occasionally clutched in like the Ampera).

The only “missing” feature in the Jazz is the ability to plug in and drive in pure EV for 40-odd miles without using the generator. But I’d like to hear the thoughts of Ampera owners - for myself, I’ve always loved the idea of an Ampera (and driving @Spiny’s was a pleasure) but they’re just too damn old.

Perhaps the Jazz will suit those who want the Ampera experience in a new car?

Disclaimer: I’ve never worked for Honda but my old man drives a Jazz 😂

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d be curious to know which one :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
They don't get it, underpowered electric motors and tiny buffer battery.
The Amp is far in advance of this, good size battery, a plug to use mains power and a powerful electric motor.
It's no replacement in my book.

There are Nissan's with a similar power train, not here yet though I think.
Mine's still going well though the petrol in the tank is going stale.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Nissan e-power

epower

coming soon

All have the same problem, the need to burn petrol to move, the Amp only needs petrol once the battery is out and that is more than most folks daily drive.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. My only real reservation with the Jazz is that it’s the same price as an MG ZS EV for a decent spec.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They don't get it, underpowered electric motors and tiny buffer battery.
The Amp is far in advance of this, good size battery, a plug to use mains power and a powerful electric motor.
It's no replacement in my book.
Yep, I agree with this. Having owned a Volt for 5 years there is still nothing to touch it in terms of it's design. It's just so well thought out. A pure EV experience with the backup of a petrol rex. So useful that I sold our old Leaf and bought a second Volt.

However, I would never buy another, as the only thing I would replace it with would be a full BEV with 200 miles range and no public charging issues. So basically a Tesla M3. I'm hoping the Volts will last us until a TM3 depreciates to £20k. Which may be some time.

The Volt/Ampera (and i3 rex) is the best gateway drug to full BEV.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The Volt/Ampera (and i3 rex) is the best gateway drug to full BEV.
Its also the worst, becuase every other car is either not as good or way more expensive.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed, I wish more PHEVs had followed the Ampera model.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Its also the worst, becuase every other car is either not as good or way more expensive.
So true. I'm looking at our £7k 100k miles 2012 Volt, designed back in 2007, and there is nothing I would want to replace it with apart from a £40k Tesla! It's barmy!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,849 Posts
I’ve long been a fan of the Ampera as a car that gets Hybrid “right” - the drive is always electric and the engine is purely a generator (except in a very specific set of rare circumstances where the engine is clutched in).

Every other hybrid on the market has gone for the approach of EV drive below 20mph then above that it’s just electric assistance for the ICE to smooth out gear changes etc, which always seemed a real shame.

Looking at the specs for the 2020 Jazz, it seems to follow the Ampera paradigm - the drive is always electric and the ICE is used only as a generator to charge the battery (occasionally clutched in like the Ampera).

The only “missing” feature in the Jazz is the ability to plug in and drive in pure EV for 40-odd miles without using the generator. But I’d like to hear the thoughts of Ampera owners - for myself, I’ve always loved the idea of an Ampera (and driving @Spiny’s was a pleasure) but they’re just too damn old.

Perhaps the Jazz will suit those who want the Ampera experience in a new car?

Disclaimer: I’ve never worked for Honda but my old man drives a Jazz 😂
Sorry, don't mean to kill this one so harshly but ... nothing like the Ampera.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How so? It’s the only hybrid since the Ampera to use the ICE as generator only. Only difference I see is the smaller battery and lack of plug in ability?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, yes... but the drive itself is an electric motor using energy from the battery pack (which is charged using an ICE)... just like an Ampera in Battery Hold or Mountain mode?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,849 Posts
I never liked the Ampera much when the engine was running. It was merely a necessary evil, being its party-piece to deliver long distance trips that allows the same car to do EV for 90% of the time.

An Ampera just run as a non-plugin hybrid, nah, not nice.

Sorry.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back when I didn’t have home charging, the Ampera in EV drive / battery hold mode would have been perfect for me.

I guess what I’m saying is there is a market out there for people who want (actual) electric drive but for whom it’s more convenient to chuck fuel in a tank, and the Jazz is the only car since the Ampera to offer that :)

But yes of course, given the choice, you’d plug the Ampera in and use the ICE as a range extender.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

1. Yes, yes... but the drive itself is an electric motor using energy from the battery pack (which is charged using an ICE)... just like an Ampera in Battery Hold or Mountain mode?
    So the Jazz is exactly the same as a Note.

There doesn't seem very much Noteworthy about Honda's latest attempt at all that Jazz.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The Nissan Note is the no 1 selling car in Japan and 2/3rds are epower. Series hybrid connection between engine and drive transmission.

The Jazz really is yawn, a bit passe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts