Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old Ampera 3200 miles. I have just returned from a trip to Devon and after a top up charge on the M5 motorway on came the old engine light fault but no problem as it reset after a couple of charges, on the way back to the midlands had another top up charge on the M5 then all sorts of faults appeared, No charge showing on battery gauge, service front camera, service suspension. top up screen wash, caution ice detected drive carefully. Dash cluster. It now displays ice warning all the time. I have just checked this morning its fully charged but faults still showing. So it of to Lookers Birmingham on Tuesday, Other than that a nice car.,...
LL63WPV-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
eek! that doesn't sound too good :( was it all the same M5 charger?
Hopefully it'll just be a bunch of spurious fault codes, rather than many broken bits.
If so should be easy to fix by a reset (Do you know anyone with an OBD2 dongle?)

I've never had any issue with my Ampera at motorway services but I rarely stay long enough to make charging worth while..

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Sounds like the computer has its knickers in a knot. If it was a laptop you would just reboot to clear it, hope that it gets sorted quickly for you !

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hope you didn't have to pay too much (to Ch.......ter ) for the recharge. That would really add insult to injury!

I'm assuming you don't have problems charging at home

Big Paul

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've had a fair number of faults with mine, particularly "service steering column lock", "service high voltage charging system" and "engine fault". It's been into Vauxhall half a dozen times, and their best guess is water ingress into the charge port is causing error messages. I was skeptical, but they replaced it with a whole new design of charge port + door and it's not had a single error message in the last 4 months or so...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 5 month old Ampera 3200 miles. I have just returned from a trip to Devon and after a top up charge on the M5 motorway on came the old engine light fault but no problem as it reset after a couple of charges, on the way back to the midlands had another top up charge on the M5 then all sorts of faults appeared, No charge showing on battery gauge, service front camera, service suspension. top up screen wash, caution ice detected drive carefully. Dash cluster. It now displays ice warning all the time. I have just checked this morning its fully charged but faults still showing. So it of to Lookers Birmingham on Tuesday, Other than that a nice car.,...
View attachment 1003
mmm GM electrics on any vehicle never been a strong point IMO !

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Never had electrical problems on any of the 7 Vauxhalls our family have had over the last 30 years. French cars are the electrical bad boys - the gremlins even have a part number ;-)
What colour is that, never seen one that colour?
Hope it gets sorted soon, it does sound like water in the works somewhere...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
Ditto here for the 14 Vauxhalls I have owned, any problems were my doing or not down to faulty electrics. Though I have had the Service steering column lock, tyre pressure warning and the engine fault light on the Ampera but all have cleared themselves. I've been told that even if they clear themselves the ECU still has them recorded for the next inspection.

Hopefully it is down to one fault @Gerald.Tomson , as mentioned with the charging port or a faulty earth.

Like the colour too, I have never seen that in the flesh.

·
Registered
705 Posts
We have just returned from Scotland. Stopped at Michaelwood services. Plugged in to Ecotricity post and the first attempt failed. On trying again worked fine but on leaving the engine management light came on. This cleared after two recharges. We stayed on Arran using ZCW post at Kinloch Hotel with no problems. Coming home yesterday we plugged in to Ecotricity post at Charnock services and again the first attempt failed and now the warning light has come on again. It seems that there is a software issue with the Ecotricity posts. We stopped at both services each way and lugging in to the second post worked first time but this was with the warning light on.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Seems to be a recurring theme with Ecotricity charging stations. I've used a Pod Point one once and it was fine, but to be honest I don't really bother looking for charging points unless they happen to be convenient. That's what I love about the Ampera, no need to worry overly about such things :)

Reactions: happy_red

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Mine too, this just seems to be a "feature" of the design. Can't be bothered to get it replaced as it'll only come back, I suspect...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yup, I got the water in the taillight about 2 weeks ago. It doesn't seem to ever go away now....
Might be tempted to take it off and dry it out one day soon....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had mine for two weeks, the salesman assured me the water in the rear lights dries out. I was skeptical as they all seem to suffer. I've found that the ecotricity chargers motorway chargers near me don't work on my car, wrong type of chargers.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I've had mine for two weeks, the salesman assured me the water in the rear lights dries out. I was skeptical as they all seem to suffer. I've found that the ecotricity chargers motorway chargers near me don't work on my car, wrong type of chargers.
In my experience they won't dry out. Mine are still misted up....
Motorway chargers are largely pointless for the Ampera anyway , as it takes so long to charge.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dosed anyone else have the fault were the reversing camera is black but the warning icons still appear when reversing close to something?

Like the camera feed doesn't make it to the screen but the overlays do.

This occurs 25% of the time on mine.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Dosed anyone else have the fault were the reversing camera is black but the warning icons still appear when reversing close to something?

Like the camera feed doesn't make it to the screen but the overlays do.

This occurs 25% of the time on mine.
Not had that one yet. Maybe it's getting moisture in it somehow ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Vince mine had condensation in the lens and I forgot to mention it when it went in for a service but they saw it and fitted a new lamp, I found that some motorway services have a separate charger to the rapids so you can plug your own lead in, but as some say it takes a long time to charge but you can get a little top up.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've been able to trigger the "check engine" light coming on with the Volt here by connecting the charging station and then preventing the charge from happening. In other words, the car sees the connection from the charging station and then switches to "charging" mode, but I then deliberately prevent the charging station from delivering a charge (starting the current). If I do that a couple of times the "check engine" light will come on for a full trip. It will clear after the next full charge and trip.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts