Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with the Summer being a spectacular fail this year I found myself putting up the heating in the Prius (Ampera arrives in a couple of weeks).. and that got me wondering.. where does the heat come from in a battery only (principally) car ..

I mean, in a petrol car the engine warms the air, so there must be a heating element or some such in the Ampera.

At speed in cold weather the vehicle must cool rapidly so the heating must have to be man enough for the job.. which makes me question the effect on it's range (in addition to the effect of cold on the battery)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There are three ways to heat the Ampera:
Pre-heat on Mains.
Battery Electric Heating.
ICE Heating.

When it is very cold the Pre-heat can be set to start the engine purely for heating purposes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Parax said:
There are three ways to heat the Ampera:
Pre-heat on Mains.
Battery Electric Heating.
ICE Heating.

When it is very cold the Pre-heat can be set to start the engine purely for heating purposes.
The ICE heating we (gm-volt.com) sometime refer to ERDTLT (Engine Running Due To Low Temp).

If not moving you will use about 0.03 gal of gas or if moving you will use about 0.07 gal of gas when the ICE turns on below 26F (or 14F if you have a 2012 with the Config Very Cold option).

I did a thread/post about how using the 'COMFORT' will keep the ICE in the heat loop and limit the number of times the ERDTLT happens on a drive. HTH!

COMFORT-setting-limiting-quot-Engine-Running-due-to-low-temperature-quot-ERDTLT
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php ... uot-ERDTLT

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is primarily handled by an electric heater coil in the ducts, but can get enhanced by the heat from the ICE (when it is running.)

It uses quite a bit of juice, & and therefore hurts mileage noticeably.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The Renault ZOE has a small heatpump. I am surprised that electric cars don't used heatpumps. They are a great way to cut down on power use for heating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts