Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my 1st post. I don't yet own an Ampera, but hope to after this lockdown. My question is about the white, or red inserts on the seats, door cards & dashboard. Can they be changed for something different, like gunmetal, for instance?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
For the seat you could probably dye them, the white might be easier. The other accents could be wrapped. The White was just plain white on the doors whereas the Red had a bit of a pattern/design on it. With the red, you get used to the pattern very quickly if it was something that was putting you off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither colour bothers me, but my wife doesn't like the red, I find it quite funky & she will just about put up with white. My other thought was to match the doors & dash strip to the centre console colour

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Personally I would have a go at wrapping it then. A for the seats you don't really see them when you are sitting inside. I know that the US Volt has different single colour interior trim but I think the UK Volt had a white centre console trim as well as the doors and seats.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think the red inserts brighten up what would otherwise be a drab and cluttered interior. You do get used to it though!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't mind the volt, although they are as rare as hen's teeth. I believe they come fully equipped, like the ampera electron. The hdd is a nice feature, but would be nice if they could be upgraded to android auto

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Android Auto has been done by a guy in mainland Europe (can't quite recall the country, possibly France) but have a rake on YouTube and you will find it. Basically plug a box of tricks into the back of the current display, add a swap over button and connect your phone. You can then switch between the box of tricks display (phone) and the standard display.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Always struck me as being OTT, you'd need to be very insistent on using Android Auto to go to the lengths of that guy in Europe. Just use a phone holder - far easier.

On the subject of the interior, the red pattern is a bit weird in photos, but after a few days ownership you really don't notice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't mind the volt, although they are as rare as hen's teeth. I believe they come fully equipped, like the ampera electron. The hdd is a nice feature, but would be nice if they could be upgraded to android auto
Is the HDD any different/easier than a decent USB stick in the centre cubby for music storage?
In the past, I’ve always tried to buy the top model to get all the toys but when I bought the Ampera, the limits and lack of updates on the satnav made me buy a positiv and a USB stick and pocket the change.
On the used market I would say condition & battery warranty are the first things to consider. After that milage colour etc.
wrapping the inserts should be too difficult I would think. You will need to share photos once it’s done. 👍😊.
Do buy one though, only problem I’ve had is that I can’t find anything that it makes sense to replace it. Had mine nearly six years and no plans to sell it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just pointing out that the centre console and door trims etc match on the Volt as the inserts and console are all white.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
Just pointing out that the centre console and door trims etc match on the Volt as the inserts and console are all white.
Aye now you mention it I seem to recall all the Volts coming with white and the red was Vauxhall only. I think nearer the end of the Ampera selling period there were one or two 'literally' (same as the Earth spec trim level) that came with the white on the centre console trim.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree originally in the photo when I looked at the car I disliked the red trim it’s unobtrusive and offsets a very dark interior and I dont notice it now. Apart from the sat nav and lack of car play /distance base Cruze it feels bang up to date in terms of kit , the surround sound Bose is great. I recently updated the front spoiler to the new shorter one and the car is now very quiet. Defiantly ahead of its time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was considering a positiv & just using a USB stick. I quess my wife will just have to get used to the white, or red inserts, but i do have a few ideas what to do with them. Can't wait for the lockdown to end so i can find 1 & enjoy it 😊

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I thought the (red) inserts were bad, but worth the savings, however after reading this thread I've realised I've totally forgotten they were there

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yep, had to go out and double check my memory of the interior.

I remember initially feeling the red gave it the plush feeling of my Gentlemen's Club.

Although still not sure what the design/doodle is?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you are going to mess with the interior, may I suggest that you put soundproofing under the rear seats and in the boot - it makes a considerable difference - gets rid of most of the rear tyre noise. You just have to take a bit of care when doing the boot so that you don't block any of the kit ventilation - or cover anything that needs to breath.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts