Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have just bought an ampera MY2013 with 43k on board, with a 15 plate reg.

When I have tested the car 2 weeks ago at the car dealer, the screen was showing the batterry as fully cahrged and with an EV range of 21 miles. The dealer said that this is low due to the previous owner driving it in petrol mode only - hence the lifetime MPG at 50 MPG, and if I will drive it in EV mode the range in Ev mode will increase as the car will recalculate the range based on EV driving only.

The dealer has an MY2012 ampera and he was getting 40 miles in EV mode and after I have told him about driving in L mode he is getting 47 miles per charge now.
Now I have driven the car with a full charge from the dealership and again it was showing 21 miles on EV mode, and I have drive the car in L mode everytime with a very light foot and the climate on Eco mode, and keeping the green ball as centered as posible and teh car achieved 22 miles only.

The car has been charged at the dealer on a Rolec charging station with Rolec cable.

Now I have fuly charged the car at home set up on 6A from a normal socket, and in the morning the car was fully charged and pre-conditioning was used twice while it was plugged in.

I understand that the heating was draining about 3-4 KW, and teh current going into the car was lower due to charging at 6A.

The battery after the second pre-conditioning process was showing full charge and 21 miles range in EV mode.

I have driven the car at maximum 55 miles per hour for 24.1 miles and the remaining range at the destination was 2 miles with 10.1 kWh used, and on normal mode.

The heating was set at 27 degrees for 90% of the time on Eco mode showing 54% on the climate settings and for the remaining 10% I have used Eco mode with set at 22 degrees with the climate showing around 18%.

So my query is - does the car has a problem on only showing 21 miles of EV range and not going to around 30 miles at full charge ?

I think the reason for going 24 miles and having 2 miles left based on a 21 miles range estimated after charging is due to using only a maximum speed of 55 miles /h even on motorway segments and using the regen brake efficiently at 95% of the time.

Based on all the cars I have seen when doing research about the Ampera, the cars have been showing an EV range of 30 to 40 miles.

Many thanks for your feedback, replies and recommendations.

Image.jpg Image1.jpg

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It is possible that the battery has degraded over time. I would suggest getting a good OBD2 adapter - I have Vgate WiFi and then using PHEV watchdog or similar app. This should be able to get information from the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have just bought an ampera MY2013 with 43k on board, with a 15 plate reg.

When I have tested the car 2 weeks ago at the car dealer, the screen was showing the batterry as fully cahrged and with an EV range of 21 miles. The dealer said that this is low due to the previous owner driving it in petrol mode only - hence the lifetime MPG at 50 MPG, and if I will drive it in EV mode the range in Ev mode will increase as the car will recalculate the range based on EV driving only.

The dealer has an MY2012 ampera and he was getting 40 miles in EV mode and after I have told him about driving in L mode he is getting 47 miles per charge now.
Now I have driven the car with a full charge from the dealership and again it was showing 21 miles on EV mode, and I have drive the car in L mode everytime with a very light foot and the climate on Eco mode, and keeping the green ball as centered as posible and teh car achieved 22 miles only.

The car has been charged at the dealer on a Rolec charging station with Rolec cable.

Now I have fuly charged the car at home set up on 6A from a normal socket, and in the morning the car was fully charged and pre-conditioning was used twice while it was plugged in.

I understand that the heating was draining about 3-4 KW, and teh current going into the car was lower due to charging at 6A.

The battery after the second pre-conditioning process was showing full charge and 21 miles range in EV mode.

I have driven the car at maximum 55 miles per hour for 24.1 miles and the remaining range at the destination was 2 miles with 10.1 kWh used, and on normal mode.

The heating was set at 27 degrees for 90% of the time on Eco mode showing 54% on the climate settings and for the remaining 10% I have used Eco mode with set at 22 degrees with the climate showing around 18%.

So my query is - does the car has a problem on only showing 21 miles of EV range and not going to around 30 miles at full charge ?

I think the reason for going 24 miles and having 2 miles left based on a 21 miles range estimated after charging is due to using only a maximum speed of 55 miles /h even on motorway segments and using the regen brake efficiently at 95% of the time.

Based on all the cars I have seen when doing research about the Ampera, the cars have been showing an EV range of 30 to 40 miles.

Many thanks for your feedback, replies and recommendations.

View attachment 106500 View attachment 106502
something not right here, my wife has a RHD MY 2012 Chevy Volt and even with a lead foot and full heating on high in Winter can get 25 miles EV only. Mind you she one did manage to use it all up in just 19 miles, a record never beaten since. In Summer I can squeezes 40 miles out of it driven carefully.

Driving averagely in winter with heating around 25 you should be doing at least 30 miles.

But preconditioning twice on a 6 amp granny charger will eat loads of the battery range as the car cant replace what it is drawing to precondition so uses battery. As a minimum you should precondition on the 10 amp setting and ideally use a dedicated type 1 16amp wall charger. That will precondition the car and keep it fully charged at the same time.

I would try fully charging the battery and then driving later in the day when it's about 10 degrees or more, preferably above 112 as below 12 degrees the car uses battery power to keep the battery pack warm killing range.

At 12 degrees or more no preconditioning with temp set to 18 degrees (dress for outdoors!) you driven normally /carefully you should get at least 3 miles / kwh , 30 miles EV range from it.

Mind you my wife's "driven normally" is so much more battery zapping than mine, I can get 40 miles EV out of it in summer, she can only manage 35 on the very, very best of days with lots of traffic keeping her speed down.

We always drive everywhere in "L" mode too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for your quick replies and feedback.

I will buy the Vgate WiFi and will arrive by tomorrow and see what the report from the car is.

In regards of the pre-conditioning of the car on the 6A setting, twice, I did not think that will eat so much range from the battery - but now it makes sense on draining the battery in the process, so I will test again with a full charge and a 1 pre-condition on 10 A this time and compare with today. Today I had -1 to 1 degree C for the entire trip.

On Friday will be able to test the car again and I will keep you posted with the report from the OBD and the achieved mileage.

The Rolec wall charger order is in mind.

So if I will charge the car from the 16A wall charger the pre-conditioning will not affect the energy stored at the time in the battery ?

And the 16A wall charger will charge more than the usefull range ? the buffer ?

Many thanks for your help :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,904 Posts
After you have used the preheating leave the car plugged in for a further 10 - 15 minutes to allow the battery to fully recharge, dash top light will start to flash. The preheating takes a bit more power than any charger (home or public) can supply. Another check is to make sure that the brakes are not binding.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Rolec wall charger order is in mind.

So if I will charge the car from the 16A wall charger the pre-conditioning will not affect the energy stored at the time in the battery ?

And the 16A wall charger will charge more than the usefull range ? the buffer ?

Many thanks for your help :)
Pretty much, I preconditioned twice this morning, 7am and 7.30am , was -3 @ 7am. Best to precon in 1/2hr slots, on 16amp precon takes around 20 mins, and after 30 mins you will be leaving with a 100% full battery again.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Hi @AlKpone
As your car is registering 10.1kWh used, I would discount a problem with the battery as if the car has only been used ion the ICE, the battery will have had a very easy life.
10.2kWh is generally a full battery to empty so the energy is going somewhere.

More likely is that the brakes may be dragging and you may be enjoying a very warm car.
What true pressure are the tyres?

I have never seen 21 miles on the range display, more like 25 miles when it is cold and 30 at the moment. Saw 50 regularly during the summer.

Edit. I see you have a 2013 model. Pull up the energy display and record the kW it takes at 30mph on a flat road. Mine doesn't have one but others here do.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Mind you my wife's "driven normally" is so much more battery zapping than mine, I can get 40 miles EV out of it in summer, she can only manage 35 on the very, very best of days with lots of traffic keeping her speed down.
We always drive everywhere in "L" mode too.
:eek::eek::eek: How does she keep her licence? I get 50 miles range with a steady 50mph through the country and well over 40 in "Lewis Hamilton" mode! :LOL:

·
Registered
255 Posts
:eek::eek::eek: How does she keep her licence? I get 50 miles range with a steady 50mph through the country and well over 40 in "Lewis Hamilton" mode! :LOL:
Ours is a MY 2012 so doesn't have the slightly bigger battery, now way it's ever getting 50 miles in summer unless at 20mph the whole way.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Even with a pre-heat in the morning, I'm only getting about 24 miles at the moment on a fairly steady trip into work, as I like the heating set to 23C with the climate set to Max. I don't think there's anything wrong as such, as the electric cost of heating everything when the weather's cold, combined with pre-heating via a 6A charger. When you've got the proper wall charger you'll find a few more miles appear, and if you turn the temp down to (say) 16C and the climate to "Off" or "Min", you'll find that adds quite a lot.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's 2 degrees out, I only just managed 29 miles the other day and that was with the heating on 21 and on eco with the fan barely running...

·
Ampera Advocate
313 Posts
The garage is correct to say that the GOM estimate reflects the most recent driving but if you've been driving it 'lightly' as you suggest, then it ought to be fully reflecting that now. Apart from being heavy-footed, the other things that (in my experience) have a dramatic effect on range are the ambient temperature, the gradients you're travelling over and whether it's raining. Can you find a flattish route and report back on the number of miles per kWh that you're getting?

Mine's an MY13 and this morning the GOM started at 34 but due to having some good gradients, I got up to over 40 (adding together the battery miles travelled and the GOM estimate) despite it being only 2 degrees temp.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
Ours is a MY 2012 so doesn't have the slightly bigger battery,
Myth. All Ampera have the 16.5kWh battery. It was ready when the car was launched in UK (what we call MY12) but not available in USA until the MY13 Volt.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
For the Ampera I recommend MyGreenVolt (aka MGV) which works with a low cost Bluetooth dongle on Android phone or the expensive WIFI one with an iPhone.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
The heating was set at 27 degrees
Ha. No wonder you got so few miles! In temps such as these I could get at least 35 miles but avoided cabin heating. Instead, I used electric seats, gloves and a hat! Remember the electric seats use far less power than cabin heating. For SWMBO I purchased a 12V electric blanket so she could keep her legs warm :LOL:

In cold weather I used two preheat from a 16A charger and then allowed time for car to charge back up again - wait for light to flash. The problem with a granny charger is the car cools down significantly in the time it takes to top the battery back up again.

On my work commute, once preheat had worn off I would engage hold for a few miles and get some waste ICE cabin heat. When leaving work (no charging there) I would use hold again for a few miles. This way I would often get 40 miles on EV even in winter and use very little petrol on my 47 mile commute.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts