Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a lapsed petrol head and now EV nut, I sold my once loved 2002 M3 and replaced it with an Ampera a month ago.
I also have two home brew EV's so the driving experience wasn't the surprise but the available power off the line still is.

I decided to compare the Ampera's torque with the 3.2 litre M3's and surprise surprise, the Ampera is slightly more powerful with 370Nm from 250rpm compared to the M3's 365Nm (269ftIb) at 4900rpm.

In a straight line race the M3 is very likely to beat it but the mid range power of the Ampera is certainly better.

One up for the EV then. No wonder we all have silly grins.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I keep hearing that the i3 is the fastest car in BMW's entire range for the 0-30 sprint (beating the M3). Not sure if that's true or not as it seems to be around 3.5 secs (7.2 to 60 for the BEV).

The point is that the instant torque makes a huge difference :D

Derek

Reactions: Paul

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Being a lapsed petrol head and now EV nut, I sold my once loved 2002 M3 and replaced it with an Ampera a month ago.
I also have two home brew EV's so the driving experience wasn't the surprise but the available power off the line still is.

I decided to compare the Ampera's torque with the 3.2 litre M3's and surprise surprise, the Ampera is slightly more powerful with 370Nm from 250rpm compared to the M3's 365Nm (269ftIb) at 4900rpm.

In a straight line race the M3 is very likely to beat it but the mid range power of the Ampera is certainly better.

One up for the EV then. No wonder we all have silly grins.
I have read that sport mode offers 20% more power draw but kills the range, and I wondered if that also meant the quoted 0-60 of 9 seconds was in Normal mode and Sport mode was 20% faster, 7.2 seconds?

Most ICE car manuals give various "in gear" acceleration figures from 0-60mph, 30-50mph , 40-70mph etc. I haven't spotted anything like that in the Volt's manual. I would love to know.

For me the Volt will be available weekends only, so it will take a while to get any decent traffic light races won. The 4 way traffic lights outside my estate have two lanes into one over 200ish yards both directions on the main road streach, so in my Honda Civic 2.2 Dtec I get at least 4-5 races a week. Most are not serious and I win 90% of the time but occasionally a hot hatch or powerful saloon beats me.
So looking forward to my first square up in the Volt against a hot hatch in sport mode is it will be all about the 0-35/40 sprint before the loser runs out of road and has to yeild.

Was thinking of starting a "today I beat of the lights a..............." for the worthy scalps. ;)

M

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I keep hearing that the i3 is the fastest car in BMW's entire range for the 0-30 sprint (beating the M3). Not sure if that's true or not as it seems to be around 3.5 secs (7.2 to 60 for the BEV).

The point is that the instant torque makes a huge difference :D

Derek
I found this on the net from the USA.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?69665-8-higher-power-in-Hold-(CS)-mode.

It has been tested that you get 8% more power running the ICE in a 0-60 dash than pure EV. So Hold or Mountain mode are 0.7 secs quicker to 60 than pure EV sport mode. 0-45kph (0-28 mph) both pure EV sport mode and ICE modes are the same, but 28-60 mph the additional power from the ICE in series makes it that bit quicker.

Interesting. if anyone finds anymore stats about how fast the Ampera / Volt is please add.

M

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
There's no extra torque available in Sport over Drive, that's a fallacy - it just changes how the system reacts to the accelerator pedal by basically moving "full power" to be from halfway pressed and beyond, instead of only when fully pressed. I have seen that the ICE can contribute a bit in flat-out sprints, but that seems like a pointless waste of petrol ;) Pulling away from traffic lights and off roundabouts onto dual carriageways is great fun :)

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
On a Sport/L fun run today I got our Volt to top out @ 105mph. I thought 99 was the limit so I was impressed. On a private road of course ;)

M

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
In pretty sure 105mph is what they published as the 'capped' top speed, but I would hate to see the range at that speed .....

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
That'll be indicated 105mph then, which would be about 99mph in real terms :) Mine reads 76mph when it's actually doing 70mph, for instance...

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Bored at work today I tried to do web research on 0-30 times. Found Volt (Ampera) vs Leaf data on a USA website that rated the Volt (Ampera) @ 3.1 secs 0-30 and the Leaf 3.0 secs. Found other data that rated the BMW i3 @ 2.7 secs 0-30.

Data here ; http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/data/CT_2011-Chevrolet-Volt-vs-2011-Nissan-Leaf-SL-E_data.pdf

However had real trouble finding any comparable ICE data, even hot hatches. Everywhere is only listed the usual 0-60 times. After my Sport/L play session on Sunday i'm more interested in ICE cars 0-30 times (especialy manuals, rather than DSG or Sports Auto's).

As around 3 seconds is 10mph for every second I have a feeling on traffic light races you will beat most warm and hot hatches, but not high end "R" versions or supercars.

For sure we have the big advantage of being very quick 0-30 but without wheel spin or gear selection / change errors, so I also expect it's possible to catch out performance hatch drivers in manuals who get thier launch and / or gear changes wrong.

If anyone knows a good online UK based car speed database listing 0-30 times for ICE models please can you post a link. Could be a fun little topic for ex-petrolheads to know what ICE cars you can best off the lights 0-30 even with the ICE driver doing everything perfectly!

M

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
This discussion reminds me about the Smart EV advert I'm sure @Paul posted a while ago.

Relevant part is at 1:00 onwards.

:D
Derek

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Bored at work today I tried to do web research on 0-30 times. Found Volt (Ampera) vs Leaf data on a USA website that rated the Volt (Ampera) @ 3.1 secs 0-30 and the Leaf 3.0 secs. Found other data that rated the BMW i3 @ 2.7 secs 0-30.

Data here ; http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roadandtrack/data/CT_2011-Chevrolet-Volt-vs-2011-Nissan-Leaf-SL-E_data.pdf

However had real trouble finding any comparable ICE data, even hot hatches. Everywhere is only listed the usual 0-60 times. After my Sport/L play session on Sunday i'm more interested in ICE cars 0-30 times (especialy manuals, rather than DSG or Sports Auto's).

As around 3 seconds is 10mph for every second I have a feeling on traffic light races you will beat most warm and hot hatches, but not high end "R" versions or supercars.

For sure we have the big advantage of being very quick 0-30 but without wheel spin or gear selection / change errors, so I also expect it's possible to catch out performance hatch drivers in manuals who get thier launch and / or gear changes wrong.

If anyone knows a good online UK based car speed database listing 0-30 times for ICE models please can you post a link. Could be a fun little topic for ex-petrolheads to know what ICE cars you can best off the lights 0-30 even with the ICE driver doing everything perfectly!

M
It's not a measurement I have ever seen quoted for an ICE car, but a definite winner if you ask me :)

·
Registered
557 Posts

M
It's interesting that they found the LEAF to be slightly quicker 0 -30 as that was my initial impression after driving the Ampera. I find the LEAF bangs me back into the seat when it 'launches' but the Ampera is a more progressive surge. Glancing at the speedo though shows they are both very quick off the mark.
The article puts the Ampera as slightly quieter than the LEAF which is strange as I would put them the other way round due to the road noise from the Amperas rear wheels. The motor noise does seem less in the Ampera though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts