Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
248 Posts
Flashing fault (red) on the granny charger indicates:
  • Improper vehicle connection. Check that the vehicle plug is seated completely and making good connection.
  • Open circuit breaker. Reset the circuit breaker, and check AC wall outlet to ensure properly operating outlet.
  • For other faults. Reset unit by unplugging from the AC wall outlet and replugging the unit.
If the fault remains, see an authorized repairer or dealer for service.

Can't comment on the wall charger without knowing more details but since both have failed concurrently it would seem to point to a fault on the car. This could be confirmed by a visit to a Tesco charger.

Some people have found that dirt builds up inside the connector receptacle pin sockets. Others have had to change the receptacle due to cracks in the casing allowing damp to get inside. Replacements are available from US suppliers at reasonable cost (see ebay - GM part no 23281030) and there are Youtube explanations on fitting. The later receptacles have beefed up insulation.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer had it for a service. When I picked it up, the charge port door was open a little. I didn’t think anything but it was like this in heavy rain for a few days.

Luckily today is warm and it’s dried out and taking a charge again.

On the bad side, the sticky port door has warped where I am constantly prying it open with the key and this forms a poor seal. Anyone know of some mods to improve the water tight nature of the seal?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The outer portion of the cover just snaps into the hinge their is a youtube video of replacement you could just do that if the plastic is warped, I clean my charge port contacts with cotton buds and contact cleaner every so often to ensure no issues.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Sounds like it was just a bit of damp got in. People have used hairdryers when that has happened in the past.

I did a mod to my charge port door to avoid having to pry it open. Has worked for 9 months now although I do still give it a little silicone spray every few weeks to keep everything moving.
Alternative fix for lazy charge port door

The door seal doesn't really do much to protect the receptacle as that has its own cover. But that cover does catch rainwater itself so I'm always careful to dry everything out with a cloth before I close the door. The design of the receptacle is supposed to be 00% rainproof but I always thought it odd that GM managed to mount it tilted slightly up.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
DTC P0D3E or P0D3F
Circuit/System Description

The battery charger will diagnose its own systems and determine when a fault condition is present. Diagnostics and system status is communicated from the battery charger to the hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 through serial data. The hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 is the host controller for DTC information. The DTCs listed above for the battery charger are internal measurements that verify the charger is performing properly. The battery charger measures voltages, currents, and temperatures and verifies they are within the proper range.
Conditions for Running the DTC
The vehicle needs to be connected to an AC supply and the battery charger is charging the vehicle. Conditions for Setting the DTC The battery charger detects low (less than 85V) or unstable supply voltage during charging.
Diagnostic Aids
Charging the vehicle with a wet drive motor battery charger cable can cause this DTC to set. Verify that the customer did not attempt to charge vehicle in the rain or extremely wet environment. Low or unstable household voltage supply can cause this DTC to set. Verify with customer that domestic voltage was not fluctuating during charge attempt and that they are using a dedicated circuit.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Has it stopped charging again? If it is still charging then the code may just be stored from the original problem. If it has stopped charging again then according to the service manual extract above it sounds like you may still have a problem with damp. I'd try drying out both the charging plug and receptacle on the car with a hair dryer first. If trouble persists then yes - probably a recommended VX garage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I’ve tried drying out both the port and charger cable and it’s still not charging.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You probably need to celar the DTC code before it will re-set, try clearing the code and see if that fixes it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wall charger is clicking on and off every few seconds. I doubt clearing the code will fix it but I can try.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
The wall charger is clicking on and off every few seconds. I doubt clearing the code will fix it but I can try.
Once the car has set that code it will probably reject any attempt to take a further charge out of an abundance of caution. That is probably what you are hearing from the wall charger. As @black_amp says. you need to clear the code first then try charging again to see if it was transitory. Will probably need a professional OBDII system with full access to do that but worth a try with what you have.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Please do not lever the flap open with a key! You risk snapping the flimsy plastic pin that locks it shut. ££ to repair if you snap that. The seal does get sticky & hard to open, so I suggest stick a small flap of electrical PVC tape to the inside of the RHS edge, protruding outside the flap by a cm or so. Choose a colour similar to the bodywork & you'll never notice it.

To open flap, press it in gently to take the dangerous pressure off the pin, press key fob to open the flap, when you hear the pin click back use the flap to pull the door open. This way zero danger of breaking the pin, and door always opens. Avoid using the door button, as that lights the EML lamp if the door sticks. Fob doesn't do that!

Reactions: Joe13

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cleared the code. Still won’t charge. Recon it’s water in the port.

Frustrating. Wasn’t doing this before it’s recent service. It came home with the port open a little.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Yes frustrating - especially since you won't be able to prove they left the door open. I've never understood why the car doesn't report that the charge door is open when you try to drive off - I'm sure it has the sensor information to do so. So embarrassing when you are trying to look cool after disconnecting from the Tesco Podpoint and the chap in the the ancient Daihatsu next to you flags you down.

Water could have caused an electrical fault in the charge port when you first tried charging that has persisted even after the port itself is dried out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My only hope is that they accept that it was fully charged when collected and will no not take a charge after I collected it.

To be honest the charge port has been sticking so not completely anyones fault.

What’s the cheapest way to replace the charge port?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
What’s the cheapest way to replace the charge port?
DIY.

Search "GM 23281030" on ebay with worldwide item location for the part.

Then search "Chevrolet Volt charge port" on Youtube to see how folks have done it themselves.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts