Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,839 Posts
The Seller is very reputable, they buy at Auction then sell on eBay with no knowledge of the vehicle short of their experience in driving the car around their yard. A lot of what they sell are bargains, but you can buy a lemon if the car was dumped into the Auction originally by an unscrupulous seller. So beware, you may get a bargain, but there's a small chance it is a lemon.

·
Twin Amperas
53 Posts
Big miles and no MOT though...might have issues...but then again might be a bargain...not seen one this cheap before...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Winning bidders should not assume that the car will be in stock the following morning " Does not sound highly reputable to me.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Just gone for £5001. Someone may have a bargain...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I saw one of this seller's cars years ago, they were no more dodgy than any other seller. (I've seen worse!) Buyer beware. Their eBay advert makes it extremely clear they don't want tyre kickers, I'm sure they've been messed around loads over the years. And that bit about not having the car in stock - they have an office address for correspondence, but the cars are often in a lock up/yard 20 mins away, where they have to play car-Tetris to get yours out. If you expect a coffee and free wi-fi as part of your car buying experience, you'd need to adjust your sights with this seller.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought a Saab 9-3 Aero from these people years ago (at least it was a very similar idea if not exactly the same people). Turned out to have a stripped out catalytic converter (empty) and a damaged bolt holding it on, plus various other issues. Don't recall being offered any recompense either but I managed to find a replacement cat from a breakers and got it sorted.

Seems like a decent business model - source somewhat dodgy cars from (where)? Sell them with clear warnings that no warranty or assurance is provided other than your ability to drive it round the block before committing. (My Saab drove round the block, but the engine light only illuminated on the way home!). They are still clearly shifting very large numbers of cars so the business model seems to work (for them at least). But I concur it's possible in theory to get a bargain, but I do wonder about the source of their vehicles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They are listing a 2012 Leaf with 42,000 miles and 10 bars. It has recently twice failed the MOT test, with quite a rap sheet. The price is currently £3500, with 3 days still to run.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,839 Posts
Seems like a decent business model - source somewhat dodgy cars from (where)? Sell them with clear warnings that no warranty or assurance is provided other than your ability to drive it round the block before committing. (My Saab drove round the block, but the engine light only illuminated on the way home!). They are still clearly shifting very large numbers of cars so the business model seems to work (for them at least). But I concur it's possible in theory to get a bargain, but I do wonder about the source of their vehicles.
They buy anything going "cheap" at BCA Blackbush and place it straight onto eBay which means that first time around the pictures are at the auction - if the "winner" of the first eBay doesn't pick it up they often clean it up and rephotograph it. They are providing a reasonable service in letting these cars out of the auction system where you get no chance to drive it and no ability to escape a deal to one where you at least get the chance to drive it. As before, you can get lucky but you need to be confident of your ability to spot a lemon very quickly or to get your money back by breaking the car. If you don't have the skill then don't take the risk - it's not the eBay seller that is the problem it is the same as buying any car at an auction where people often dump cars knowing that they have an issue.

·
Registered
308 Posts
They buy anything going "cheap" at BCA Blackbush and place it straight onto eBay which means that first time around the pictures are at the auction - if the "winner" of the first eBay doesn't pick it up they often clean it up and rephotograph it. They are providing a reasonable service in letting these cars out of the auction system where you get no chance to drive it and no ability to escape a deal to one where you at least get the chance to drive it. As before, you can get lucky but you need to be confident of your ability to spot a lemon very quickly or to get your money back by breaking the car. If you don't have the skill then don't take the risk - it's not the eBay seller that is the problem it is the same as buying any car at an auction where people often dump cars knowing that they have an issue.
Fair enough I guess. I figured the cars couldn't possibly come from BCA etc as the price was too low (no reserve) so assumed they had a source of known problem vehicles. If its a genuine lottery with them simply picking up cars at genuine sources then indeed, like you say, there will be some bargains and at least the option to spot the lemon. I think I actually sold the Saab for more that I paid + spend on parts to bring it up to scratch; so as you say as long as someone is prepared to take on the risk...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,839 Posts
They are listing a 2012 Leaf with 42,000 miles and 10 bars. It has recently twice failed the MOT test, with quite a rap sheet. The price is currently £3500, with 3 days still to run.
IMHO anyone buying that car needs their heads examining as presumably they have an inflated idea of the value of the battery - the car is showing 26 miles on approx 50% SoC and is down to 10 bars (so presume 9 bars anytime soon). The last MoT failure list was:

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Parking brake efficiency less than 50% of the required value (1.4.2 (a) (ii))​
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))​
Nearside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))​
Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))​
Nearside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))​
Offside Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))​
Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))​
Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))​

For the record, No, I'm not intending buying it and talking the price down. :devilish:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Ampera is now relisted. I cannot make out the reg no to check the Mot record.

·
Registered
342 Posts
BT61 LNE
MOT history
Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate

Date tested29 October 2020
FAIL

View test certificate
Mileage150,960 miles
MOT test number7969 5938 3593
Test location

View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Engine MIL inoperative or indicates a malfunction (8.2.1.2 (h))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()
  • Offside Rear Child Seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt ()

Reactions: Rory166

·
Registered
55 Posts
They are listing a 2012 Leaf with 42,000 miles and 10 bars. It has recently twice failed the MOT test, with quite a rap sheet. The price is currently £3,500, with 3 days still to run.
The 2012 Leaf went for £3,988. With two recent MOT failures, in September and October, both focussed on rear brake issues, the car was obviously not in the "one careful owner" category. I suppose that a DIY-type repair of the issues in the last MOT failure report, shown by dk6780 in post #13 above, would cost around £500 in parts alone. With a 2012 Leaf worth maybe £5,000, I don't think this car was a bargain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts