Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a member of this forum for the past 8 months or so - and of EVChat before that. Thanks for all the advice, tips and tricks and general good humour on the site. It's been very re-assuring to find similar minded people willing to innovate in their choice of transport....

I'd always been hoping to buy an Ampera ever since they were launched and I achieved this a week ago. After my first week, I've a few achievements to lists:
- 760 miles driven
- 1.2 galls of petrol used
- >50 miles on a charge reached twice!
I travel 45 miles to work each day and have come up with an arrangement with someone close to work to park and charge in their drive, which means that I should be able e-commute every day... (and save around £200 per month on fuel)

As for the Ampera - it's been a great start, but there's one frustration and one wish. The Sat-Nav only works to 4 digits of postcode, so unless you have the full address, it's somewhat compromised. And the wish? With weather like this and the Ampera suiting a country lane cruise of 45-50mph very well, why isn't there a sunroof?

Tim

Ampera.jpg

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Same colour as mine which I picked up on Weds. Went for the Positiv because I use phone sat nav (had been put off by the review of the sat nav and the £179 update charge for new maps)...plus a USB holds enough music for me. Can't imagine I'd ever want to watch a DVD whilst parked....but the Bose upgrade may have been nice.

Many cars with a/c don't have a sunroof and I guess it would make it slightly less eco.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Do British saloon/hatch drivers really still go for sunroofs? They were all the rage a couple of decades ago (my company cars always had 'em up to 2001) but since the ubiquitous fitting of aircon and climate control, surely they're not that popular with the average buyer now?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Do British saloon/hatch drivers really still go for sunroofs? They were all the rage a couple of decades ago (my company cars always had 'em up to 2001) but since the ubiquitous fitting of aircon and climate control, surely they're not that popular with the average buyer now?
I haven't had one for years, for all the reasons you mention, but my colleague always adds it as an option #wierdo :D

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
363 Posts
A lot of High end cars do have sunroofs. The trend is even in family cars that offer panoramic sunroofs, even if sometimes they can't be opened. The sunroof on the gx4h outlander is very very welcome as I am switching from a convertible.

·
Registered
394 Posts
When the i3 was released in the US they dropped the sunroof option that is available in Europe. I was surprised by what a kerfuffle that caused, several people thought it was so important that they cancelled their order.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
My wife has the fixed panoramic roof on her Qashqai. It is great for adding light in to the cabin but as it does not open not much use for ventilation.

Her last car was a Scenic with the panoramic roof and she loved that as it opened and was a great way to cool the car quickly. Unfortunately it made a ridiculous amount of wind noise at anything over 60mph on the motorway which was a bit of a bind. At least the fixed glass roof on the Qashqai is silent!

Derek

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Also sunroof = leaks (or much increased risk of).

So aside from the added weight, lost head room and increased chance of leaks... ;) :p

I quite like a nice big sunroof myself, not for being open, just for the light. Can get hot in some situations though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts