Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just bought an Ampera the other day, love the car and looks like its been looked after. However driving it there appears to be a irregular slight high pitched whine.
Seems to occur roughly between 15-25mph regardless of whether accelerating, decelerating or braking.
Definitely sounds electrical rather than mechanical as it is a single tone and doesn't change in pitch.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be? I hear it clearly in my left ear when driving.
Note: this is when driving purely on battery. Other posts with similar sounding issues seem to be when ICE is running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
cheers.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Take a rear seat passanger and see if its under the boot floor, there are a few bits under there inc the DC:DC converter which may have a high pitch whine but too high for my ears. there is a fan there as well for the converter.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,304 Posts
There's the vacuum pump that switches on and off at irregular intervals. Even when stationary. It's more of a whirr than a whine though

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Hi all,
Just bought an Ampera the other day, love the car and looks like its been looked after. However driving it there appears to be a irregular slight high pitched whine.
Seems to occur roughly between 15-25mph regardless of whether accelerating, decelerating or braking.
Definitely sounds electrical rather than mechanical as it is a single tone and doesn't change in pitch.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be? I hear it clearly in my left ear when driving.
Note: this is when driving purely on battery. Other posts with similar sounding issues seem to be when ICE is running.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
cheers.
Which seat is the whine coming from?😜

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hear the whine mostly when in 'hold', just after selecting it. Soon goes away (or my ears get used to it). The Volt Shelf guy (voltshelf.weebly.com) mentions it as something that his 'Voltmat' helps to insulate against!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts