Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Ampera has many quirks. This one may have been noted before:
In recent weeks my battery range dropped significantly, so I tried going into 'Hold' mode, immediately on starting, to warm the car up and climb the long hill out of the village. Even so, there was a day when I only managed 23 miles on battery power and most days, 10.3 kWh would be exhausted after moving the car no more than 25 to 28 miles.
During the last week the Amp has behaved like a different car. I still start off in 'Hold' for the first four or five miles but, after that, the car will happily record 37 to 43 miles on battery power. On one occasion the display indicated that I had used 11.6 kWh but since then it regularly indicates between 10.3 kWh and 10.5 kWh. The GOM has also adjusted itself to suit - for example two weeks ago, when fully charged, it regularly predicted a range of 32 miles - even on those days when I actually achieved much less. More recently the GOM is predicting a range in excess of 36 miles and I have seen more than 40 miles this week. I am only referring to the miles that the display reports as being on battery power. At the same time, I am also seeing an increase in range from running the ICE - for example this morning, I ran in 'Hold' mode for just under five miles and then switched to normal - the next 4 miles were also credited to the ICE and the GOM was still predicting a range of 38 miles after I had travelled a total of 12 miles.
What has caused this result - it is almost as if I had been driving with the hand brake on during November and have now decided to take it off for December!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Who knows? Maybe it's had a charge to 100% and plenty of time to rebalance the cells, and somehow managed to optimise a bit? Maybe it's detected a bit of battery degradation, and dipped into the invisible reserves & has given access to a new bit of that to keep the overall useable capacity up to expected? Maybe the temperature has risen a couple of critical degrees over the last few days? Have the roads been drier?

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
Remember that the display of kWh used is only an estimate, I have posted a link to a GM article previously.

"Hold" can sometimes create a misleading vision of EV range as it is easy to subconsciously use it on the "harder" part of a journey. However, in colder weather, using it at start of a longer journey (beyond EV range) to get some engine heat is a strategy I used on my 48 mile commute. Even in winter I often got 40 miles in EV and used little petrol.

Note that using "Hold" you may find it sometimes uses a lot of petrol to cover the displayed "petrol" miles. The reality is that it sometimes puts miles in the EV "counter" incorrectly rather than petrol. It is a known "feature" which I believe they fixed in later model years - I will see if I can find Volt forum link.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Are you using double pre heat with leaving the fans at max?
Takes 32 minutes, 6 min per pre heat + 10 min to Re top up the battery.
That can really improve range.

Also rain really confuses the gom, it can decimate your range due to various factors. But a much colder day with no rain can give you much better range.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also rain really confuses the gom, it can decimate your range due to various factors. But a much colder day with no rain can give you much better range.
That is really bizarre! Is it because all the lights and wipers drain the 12v battery? Or is it because the car sulks when it gets wet?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Wet weather hugely increases the work done by the tyres as you drive. They have to pump a lot of water away, and they do it very fast, so an appreciable amount of kinetic energy goes into that. As you'll have noticed, when cars hit a puddle! If you're the driver, feel the sudden jerk of deceleration. If you're a pedestrian, feel the jet of water soaking your clothing in a millisecond! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts