Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Sorry if this is a repeat question but i did a search and couldn't find any mention.
I bought a 2013 reg Ampera a couple of weeks ago and it is just over 3years old. I took it to my nearest Ampera dealer for a 3rd service and they also put new gas struts on the tailgate FOC as it was the only recall it had missed.
Mine has the misted up rear reflectors and i asked them the solution. They wanted to fix it for £168 as it wasn't a recall issue. I know some people got it fixed under warranty.
Is there a easy fix for this? for the price i can live with the problem, but there must be an easy solution someone can share.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
There have been a few fixes on here - try searching the forum (top right of the page). I'm sure someone posted about drilling a tiny hole or two to let them air out but I can't remember the details :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Not that it helps you in any way, but slightly curious as to who you bought from and why they hadn't sorted it out during warranty.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not that it helps you in any way, but slightly curious as to who you bought from and why they hadn't sorted it out during warranty.
Mine was sorted under warranty at its first service back in November but has come back again (a month or so ago). I suspect the fix is just to replace defective parts with new defective parts. The faulty design probably hasn't changed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i bought one that had been leased by a company. I suspect the driver whoever he was just used it as a company car and didn't really know what he was using. The lifetime MPG was 60mpg. None of the DAB radio channels had been saved it was fixed on FM. Both of the A & B trip recorders hadn't been used. They both showed the exact mileage the same as the odometer.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I think i bought one that had been leased by a company. I suspect the driver whoever he was just used it as a company car and didn't really know what he was using. The lifetime MPG was 60mpg. None of the DAB radio channels had been saved it was fixed on FM. Both of the A & B trip recorders hadn't been used. They both showed the exact mileage the same as the odometer.
60mpg implies they at least attempted to plug it in occasionally...
As for the A & B trip recorders, I purposefully haven't reset mine since new either....

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I think i bought one that had been leased by a company. I suspect the driver whoever he was just used it as a company car and didn't really know what he was using. The lifetime MPG was 60mpg...
Mine was on 56 mpg when I bought it - original driver was a company director living in terraced house in Wimbledon, so scant chance for plugging in. I suspect he got it for BIK & congestion-charge avoidance. He's Italian, so of course it had to be red! :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
mine was ex lease - Tuskers , some minor condensation in the rear quarter light in the morning but comes and goes .
Of course when I took in to Vauxhall for service it was nowhere to be seen!
when I took it the last 3,000 miles was only at 57.9 mpg , so hadn't been charged much or it had been used on longer journeys. lifetime Mpg is 109

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,523 Posts
Mine is out of warranty so I couldn't claim anyway...

Can they be easily removed, dried and replaced?
Paul, yes, I think they are easy to remove but only after removing the tailgate trim and I am not sure about that.

I would tend to remove them and then leave in a 50C oven for a weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK.

Not to be beaten by a bit of condensation i decided to tackle the job and have got a great result.
Yes you have to remove the tailgate trim, well the bottom 2 pieces anyway and then it is easy to undo the 2 bolts holding each reflector in place and remove them. You also have to loosen the 2 outer bolts on each side holding the chrome Vauxhall trim that runs underneath. but then it is easy. I then drilled a small 3mm hole in the upper back edge, behind the lip of the reflector, so its not visible when refitted to the car. I also put a small roof of electrical tape at an angle from the lip to the back of the reflector, so it didn't stick ove the hole, but prevented the remote possibility of rain getting in one day. I have taken some photos as i did it about 10 days ago before going on holiday. by the time i got back all the condensation was gone. ( (I suppose you could speed up the process with a hairdrier or a couple of nights in the airing cupboard but that means leaving them off the car) Now i have done it, its easy. The difficult bit to work out is how to get the trim off, but don't worry, it is very flexible and doesn't crack.
First thing to do is the handle to pull the tailgate down has 2 self tappers holding it in place covered by a rubbery plastic plate which clicks in place along the deepest part of the handle. Pick this out with a small screwdriver and you will see the screws.
Secondly remove by sliding down and prizing away the plastic cover over the tailgate latch.
Once this is done you are ready to prize away the lower section of the trim. It is held in place by multiple blue plastic and metal clips which are well located and seem to stay in place on the trim. I found the easiest way was to try and work your finger between the lowest piece of glass in the tailgate and the top edge of the lower trim section. its quite flexible there. get both hands in spread your fingers and give it a tug. you think its going to break, but it doesn't. Once 1 or 2 clips release it gives you more room to get your hands in and tug away along the whole piece. There are about 10-12 clips on each piece. Once this lower piece is off you will be able to unclip the next piece above the glass. there are 2 oval rubber grommets one on each side of the lower section of the tailgate which cover 2 outer bolts for the tailgate trim all the other bolts are visible from underneath the raised tailgate. Some are 8mm some are 10mm. its fairly obvious which 2 hold the reflectors. The ones on the chrome trim don't need to come off completely just the outer 2 removed and the next 2 loosened then you can take the reflector out with the trim in place.
I did consider putting a similar small hole in the bottom of the reflector to a) get a through flow of air and b) to allow and water that did get in to drain away. So far though i have left it at 1 on each reflector .

Good luck. I hope this is useful to some of you. It really isn't too difficult apart from long 8mm & 10mm narrow sockets no special tools are needed. Oh and all the bolts are captive so none of the threads should move, just the nuts.
You will see from the pictures that quite a bit of dirt does collect behind the reflectors so i wiped away and sprayed with WD40-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=------------
---------------------------------
-----------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMG_2315[2].JPG
IMG_2313[1].JPG
IMG_2311[1].JPG
IMG_2312[1].JPG
IMG_2316[1].JPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Malcolm, any chance you can show us a close-up of where you drilled the vent holes please?

Years ago my dad had condensation probs with his diy double-glazing, = large extra pane of glass with self-adhesive foam rubber seal clamped to inside of french door. Naturally the compressed foam didn't seal perfectly, so moist air from inside the house entered & condensed on outer pane of glass. I simply drilled some 3mm holes from the outside of the french door, through into the space in the middle, assuming that air trapped in the gap would heat/cool & so expand/contract more easily through my holes than the squashed spongy stuff. It worked, and the condensation went away as the air outside was drier than that inside the house on average.

So I'm tempted to see if I can just put some tiny, maybe 1mm dia, holes in from outside, using my dremel drill - but I think I'd need to remove the unit as you did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andy.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Sorry that is the only picture i took of the hole location before refitting the reflector. I'm afraid its a bit out of focus, though the grass is really sharp, so i have got my photo editing hat on and put an arrow to make it clear. Just to add the hole only has to go through the outer black plastic, so don't go too deep. Having drilled mine i inverted the reflector and some condensation ran out.

I hope this helps
Relector hole.JPG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Andy.

Having thought about what i did, i think there is an easier option if you wish to try it?
Rather than remove everything if you drilled a small hole through the side of the reflector parallel with the top edge.
You will see i have put a white spot where i think you should drill. I.m afraid its guess work. once through the initial black plastic there will be a space and then you have to go through the edge of the back of the reflector. I suppose you could do a big hole to be sure you are on target, do the small hole through the large one then put a grommet or something in the big hole. It would only be visible when lifting the tailgate.

Let me know how you get on?
Ampera hole.png

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Following Malcolm's excellent instructions, I just drilled my rear reflectors. Here are a few pics & notes about it all.
1) All the nuts I met were M10, it's just the 2 inner ones holding shiny trim-bar had a smaller o.d. washer built-in.
2) Actually getting the reflectors out was a bit of a mince, but they did come out eventually! Replacing was harder...

Grab-handle with rubber insert removed to reveal 2 screws.
upload_2016-6-10_14-45-44.jpeg

Interior trim panels removed.
upload_2016-6-10_14-46-29.jpeg

Unclipping the plastic sides of the reflectors. I found it useful to use an old nylon comb to lever these outwards and not damage the paint. I've arrowed where these clips are, also the removed grommet-hole to access shiny bar screws.

upload_2016-6-10_14-46-59.jpeg

I drilled 7 holes roughly equally spaced along the bottom of the reflector, 1.5mm diameter, using small drill with 11mm of the bit protruding from the chuck to avoid hitting the perspex. These were angled upwards from the back, so with luck rain won't be tempted to get in!
upload_2016-6-10_14-49-24.jpeg

Finally, about the hardest part was getting the d*mn things back in! I ended up using a piece of thin plastic as a lever. The shiny bar was really reluctant to move, despite having removed 2 nuts from each end. I couldn't see how to free the shiny bar any more than Malcolm suggested, and I didn't want to risk breaking it.
upload_2016-6-10_14-57-28.jpeg

When we get to the season of mists & mellow fruitfulness, I'll report again whether I suffer any more condensation or not!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well done Andy. Much better pictures and descriptive arrows than mine.
I was surprised to hear you had problems getting them back in. Still hopefully you will have a good result. As you say I'm not crowing too much until the colder weather returns. /:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts