Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here as I'm only a prospective Ampera owner at present -- just at the research stage. One of the YouTube videos I've watched about the Ampera said that its satnav did not accept full seven-character postcode entry. That might have been about the original 2012 car. If that was true, was the postcode entry improved in later years? I shall be looking for a late 2014 or 2015 car. If the satnav is thought to be less than good on them, I might look for a Positiv rather than an Electron and use the TomTom from my other car (an old MX5) in it, if there's a price/mileage advantage to a Positiv. Or is the Bose hifi in the Electron sufficiently better than the Positiv's hifi for that alone to be a good reason to look for an Electron?
Thanks for any opinions/advice owners might have.

·
EREV owner
205 Posts
Hi,
I use google maps to locate my destination, right click and select whats here. This gives the GPS info, use an online converter to get degrees'minutes, then the car will take you to that exact spot. Takes longer to type it than it takes to do.
PS. I have had mine over a year and still love getting into it every day.

good luck

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 2012 sat nav is not brilliant, I use Google maps on my iPhone a lot of the time. The Bose sound system is excellent though (I work in the audio field and in general am not too keen on Bose). You'll probably find not too much difference in price between the electron and positive but I'd go for the electron. Obviously you'll need to get one in the best colour combo available - see sig' pic :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Best feature of the electron in my book is the music storage, given I never listen to radio... satnav is junk, just use your phone on a brodit holder

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
As far as I am concerned, the satnav does work and all you need to do is put the address in after the partial post code.
No great shakes really.
The worst part of my 2012 Amp sat nav is Sally satnav's shrieking sister who reads out the street names!

How or why the manufacturer thought this text to voice program was acceptable to sell as a product is beyond me as we have had this software in an acceptable format for many years.

Regarding the sound system, I love music which is excellent from the Bose system along with the hard disk recording of CD's.
It is funny though when the car occasionally decides which music source to play for you when starting off.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
463 Posts
I think the Bose music system quality is one of the many great things about the Electron but then again I haven't heard the standard system. Best try and do a comparison, but I guess that might be tricky. I find the sat nav perfectly usable despite the lack of full postcode ability (mine is a MY12). It just takes a change in mindset to use it and probably depends what you are used to. I have used both google maps on my phone and the in car sat nav at various times, both do the job.
I have had a minor issue with the music hard drive where I get weird clicking noises on a few tracks but I've not heard anyone else complain about that so its probably something I'm doing/not doing or just mine. I mainly use an old iPod touch connected via the USB in the centre console which works well although menu navigation is clunky. I mainly listen on random anyway.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was initially disappointed with the SatNav and carried a TomTom just in case. But I have never used the TomTom and the built in SatNav works just fine for me now. As for Sally, well I do tend to tense up when I know she is going to announce a street name. I love the Bose sound system.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've used the built in satnav a few times and also found it OK. My kids found the Satnav Sally's voice hysterical and they got me to put a local address in in an area with a lot of street names after Welsh places! Even the traffic alerts worked when I used it on the motorway. I do have my phone with me so could fall back to Google navigation if needed.

As Freebird says the Bose sound system does sound very good, I usually play on shuffle either from the HD where most of my music is, or a USB stick with more recent additions to my music collection. Not having heard the sound in a Positiv I have no idea how they compare.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,278 Posts
2013 here and apart from no updates for the maps (at a reasonable price) another bugbear I find is that it insists on you selecting a postcode area in a city to try and locate an address. Edinburgh is the first place I encountered it when trying to drive back to the dealership once. I knew the street name but could not use it until I selected the postcode area first. I had to pull over and look at the address stamped in the handbook.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
The only Ampera/Volt that does full postcode and has recent map updates available, is the very rare MY14. Do not confuse registration date with MY as some MY12 are on 15 plates!

I use factory sat nav about 50% of time - the maps being from 2012 is the biggest issue I now find. I am now using Waze on my 4G tablet a lot more. Personally I find a phone too small for nav - might be OK on a massive one I guess?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I knew the street name but could not use it until I selected the postcode area first. I
I don't use post code at all in Ampera. I select town and then street.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I could never use that type of workflow having become so accustomed to Google maps navigation...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,278 Posts
I don't use post code at all in Ampera. I select town and then street.
Have you tried it in a large city? In Edinburgh unless you know the first part of the postcode then you can't find the street, so I need to choose from EH1 to EH17 before I can find the road. If this can be avoided then I haven't found it. Fortunately, I rarely venture alone into the city.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,278 Posts
I could never use that type of workflow having become so accustomed to Google maps navigation...
After having Android Auto in a Corsa courtesy car I bought a new head unit for my Elgrand campervan to use Google Maps and when the warranty is up on the Ampera I will be investigating fitting a miracast box, or similar, to it to use that on the screen. I have seen some instructions on the FB Chevy Volt group and it looks straightforward.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
For me the satnav is the weakest part of the Ampera. No ful postcode means that you sometimes have to resort to using another satnav to find your location. In hindsight I should have bought the Positiv instead of the Electron... the Bose sound is not worth paying extra for, the hard drive same thing (I use Spotify so no need to store a collection) and the satnav is pants IMO.

Having said that... the rest of the car makes up for it so I still love my Ampera but if I were to be asked which to get now I'd say get the Positiv and a phone holder so you can use the satnav on your phone or get a TomTom/Garmin etc.

:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I find the satnav okay, but I usually have Waze playing the audio and follow it with better traffic updates.

Ampera Nav does give traffic updates but rarely seems to avoid traffic...

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Have you tried it in a large city? In Edinburgh unless you know the first part of the postcode then you can't find the street, so I need to choose from EH1 to EH17 before I can find the road. If this can be avoided then I haven't found it. Fortunately, I rarely venture alone into the city.
Maybe not. Away in different car so can't check. I have latest maps (not that new!) in my MY13 and will check when I get back.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
After having Android Auto in a Corsa courtesy car I bought a new head unit for my Elgrand campervan to use Google Maps and when the warranty is up on the Ampera I will be investigating fitting a miracast box, or similar, to it to use that on the screen. I have seen some instructions on the FB Chevy Volt group and it looks straightforward.
I find my 3rd screen (8" tablet) works fine, it isn't in a great spot like the factory screen, but a quick glance occasionally doesn't distract much and mostly I just listen to audio directions. The Waze integration with Spotify is great as music volume is lowered when "she" gives instructions.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Elgrand owner eh... didn’t fancy an alphard hybrid?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I find my 3rd screen (8" tablet) works fine, it isn't in a great spot like the factory screen, but a quick glance occasionally doesn't distract much and mostly I just listen to audio directions. The Waze integration with Spotify is great as music volume is lowered when "she" gives instructions.
How are you running the audio into the car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts