Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this morning my Ampera had only 23 miles of an electric drive after all-night charge. It has been below 30 for a long time but this is getting quite ridiculous now. My Ampera is 6 years old and has done 68,000 miles. I'm the second owner.

Can I request the repair/replacement on the base of Vauxhall Ampera 8-year/100,000-mile warranty for the electric system?

Has anyone had a similar experience and can offer any advice?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Doubt there is anything wrong, had less than that when the beast from the east came through...
What is the used charge displayed when the battery runs out? It should be around 9.9 to 10.7 kWh under normal use. If its lower you may have a battery showing degradation. As far as I'm aware no battery has shown visable degredation in the UK, There must be degradation given the ages of the cars but its obscured by the large buffer area, the battery is around 16kWh with 10.5kWh usable.

The displayed guess (the gauge is a GOM, a pretty good one at that) is based on your previous recent usage including Speed, use of the heater and the cars use if needed to warm the battery. In winter this reduces the displayed range considerably. Battery heating can be seen in MY2013 cars with the heating OFF (min) then the power meter will show 2-4kWh instead of 0.5 at idle when the battery heating is active.

To maximize winter range pre-condition to get the battery warmed, heating the cabin and defrosting is a side effect as far as the car is concerned. You may need 2 pre-conditions in frosty conditions, leave the heating on max/eco at 25 with the fans on before pre-conditioning as I find this helps warm the cabin. Turn the heating off and use the seat heater once underway.

If you normally travel out of electric range then start off in hold to get engine heat to warm the car instead of using the battery. Once the water is hot - heating shows off in climate - then use the battery and keep warm on the inefficiency of the ICE.

BTW Mine is a MY2013 64 plate with 48,000miles and was probably bought over in 2013 so at least 7 years old, its possible some MY2013 models were made in late 2012 so might be 8 years old. There is no sign of degradation in the displays.

Reactions: Gosia

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Is this charged with a Granny lead or using a charge point? Granny leads are slow to recharge the car after pre-conditioning and may need 1/2 hour at the 10Amp setting, a charge point 10-15 mins before setting off.

I'll ask a mod to shift this to the General Motors / Ampera & Volt forum where it will attract attention ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. What is the used charge displayed when the battery runs out? It should be around 9.9 to 10.7 kWh under normal use. If its lower you may have a battery showing degradation.

2. To maximize winter range pre-condition to get the battery warmed, heating the cabin and defrosting is a side effect as far as the car is concerned. You may need 2 pre-conditions in frosty conditions, leave the heating on max/eco at 25 with the fans on before pre-conditioning as I find this helps warm the cabin. Turn the heating off and use the seat heater once underway.

3. If you normally travel out of electric range then start off in hold to get engine heat to warm the car instead of using the battery. Once the water is hot - heating shows off in climate - then use the battery and keep warm on the inefficiency of the ICE.

4. Is this charged with a Granny lead or using a charge point? Granny leads are slow to recharge the car after pre-conditioning and may need 1/2 hour at the 10Amp setting, a charge point 10-15 mins before setting off.
Thanks Spiny for your time to reply. I have some questions about the points you raised as I have so little knowledge about the technicalities, it is very difficult for me to understand:

1. How do I check this? The only time I see something like a report containing some information about the usage and how much was generated during driving is when I park the car and switch it off, not when the battery runs out. When the battery runs out, it simply switches to petrol.

2. What does it mean "pre-condition to get the battery warmed"? Do you mean I should regularly heat the cabin?

3. I almost never travel out of electric range as I have a charger in my house and I don't travel far. Would this help if I used the petrol to heat the car from time to time?

4. I'm not sure what granny lead is but I attach my charger's photo :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
That charger in pic is your wall-mounted EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment), so is able to supply leccy to the car at it's fastest rate, which is actually 14A. The "granny" charger is the 13A plug version of that, so called as it gets taken with you when you go away to visit granny. These usually have a max current of 10A, so take about 50% longer to do the equivalent charge.

Precondition means get the car nicely warmed up before setting of on a cold morning. It'll de-ice & demist the windows! Mostly this involved heating up the big traction battery, a large heavy thing that takes a lot of warming up in winter. To do this, set the heating controls to 25C, fan to Max, and recirculate on, last thing at night. With a bit of luck you'll get the cabin nicely warmed up as well, if you do 2 preconditions in the morning. To do this (you are of course plugged in with big EVSE or granny-portable-EVSE) , press the Lock button on the fob. Do this even if already locked. Should hear door click/lock. Immediately after, press & hold for a few secs the bottom-right button looking like a thermometer in a horseshoe. Hold it down until lots of sidelights start flashing, funny whirring noises happen. Your 1st precondition is now under way. The green LED on dash will light up to say it's taking power from the mains. When the green LED finally stops flashing, Preconditioning had probably stopped 10 mins earlier, but it took another 10-15 mins to refill the main battery, as it uses its own power to warm itself up, & the mains supply can't keep up.

At some stage during the precondition you can set a 2nd one going. I give it 10 mins then stat the 2nd one. Do the fob-lock followed by press the precondition button the same way. May or may not flashlights etc, can't remember. But car knows you want another one, so starts a 2nd one immediately after the first ends. This one's quicker as battery pretty warrm by now, but cabin probably still cool. Cabin should be toasty warm after the 2nd preheat.

Allow about 1/2 an hour if using big EVSE, or 45 mins on the little one, I'd say. Trial & error to learn. If yo need to go before preheat is finished, don't worr about it, unplug & go. You will have put some energy into the car at least, so it's better than no preheat at all. Even if the range available has dropped a few miles, you're actually better off 'coz it won't suck so much leccyy as you set out

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Qn 1): Checking power used. Do read the car's manual! It's all in there, somewhere, even if hard to find & badly written. You can use the Energy button (Leaf symbol) as you drive to display energy used as you travel. Keep pressing that button to cycle round. Figures are in there somewhere.

Qn 3). If you never travel out of range, don't use petrol at all! Costs you about 3x as much as leccy. When I travel out of recharge-range, in winter I'll start using petrol when out of town to warm up, generally keep the electricity in hand for use in built-up places, petrol in the country. And I keep an eye on the Energy screen to try judge te changeovers so I empty the battery just as I arrive home.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hi
Excellent - A charge point, this means decent pre-conditioning times. And I see @HandyAndy has replied.

The Ampera cossets its battery (not the owner!) and if its below about 9degC will warm it up. This uses battery power and will reduce the range and reported range. Doing the pre-condition on the Charge Point warms up the battery on the mains and leaves more power for driving.
Its also nice not to have to scrape the car on a frosty morning - one of the benefits. I had the neighbors congregating at the drive when I first got mine watching it defrost on a freezing morning whilst I had Coffee and toast in the warmth.

On the Infotainment screen (middle one) when you press the Leaf button you have 3 screens, use the right one, here when the battery is out is reported the used power in kWh - see image
Electronics Technology Multimedia Electronic device Auto part

Do you have a power display in the DIC (Driver Information Centre)? Like this
Technology Multimedia Electronic device Font Electronics

The MY2012 do not, the MY2013 do, this is useful to see how much power is being used. it can give a clue that the battery is being heated. The climate display will not show if the battery heater is on.
MY = Model Year most are 2012 and 2013 there are apparently half a dozen MY14's about which have extras :) these do not have the coloured (white or red) seat inserts.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I ought to say the GOM (guess-o-meter) will alter its prediction slowly as the Amp appears to take a few days driving into consideration. So don't expect it to miraculously to increase its prediction!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
609 Posts
Hi guys, this morning my Ampera had only 23 miles of an electric drive after all-night charge. It has been below 30 for a long time but this is getting quite ridiculous now. My Ampera is 6 years old and has done 68,000 miles. I'm the second owner.

Can I request the repair/replacement on the base of Vauxhall Ampera 8-year/100,000-mile warranty for the electric system?

Hi, I had an Ampera for over 3 years and in the winter I used to get low 20s often. In the summer I could get 40+. It all depends on driving style, temperature, rain or dry, how hilly and stop start your journey is, how much heating you use etc etc. I very much doubt there is anything wrong with yours. Especially as others have posted if you are getting 9.9-10.4 kWh out of a charge.
In fact I posted about the same worry I had several years ago one December, copied here:-

"My range is currently around low to mid 20s, most of my journeys are around/across town stop/start and fairly hilly (Bristol). In the summer I average around mid/high 30s for the same type of driving. As everyone else on here seemed to be getting much higher ranges than me, I decided to do a test. I set out on a summers day on the flattest roads I could find (using no A/C, fan on one notch) and got 52 miles on electric, the trip was at 40ish mph and little or no stop starting. So then I knew it's my driving style and/or terrain and not the car. Also I don't stint on heating I usually use the max setting at 23-4C with fan on about half way."

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,041 Posts

Insufficient information to comment.

If you have been pottering around town with full electric heating in this weather then the range of battery will definitely be below 30 miles.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The question I can't see asked if whether the 23 miles is the predicted range or what was actually achieved. If it's the predicted, the OP may find the actual mileage covered is higher (or, I suppose, lower).

Having said that, my guess-o-meter drops into the mid 20s in winter and I mostly don't speed around that much. I don't recall checking its accuracy.

I never pre-heat as I'm nearly always only going somewhere in range, and if I'm not I use petrol first if I remember. I thought my electric heater didn't work anyway but it definitely was a bit warm the other day.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,041 Posts
The question I can't see asked if whether the 23 miles is the predicted range or what was actually achieved. If it's the predicted, the OP may find the actual mileage covered is higher (or, I suppose, lower).

Having said that, my guess-o-meter drops into the mid 20s in winter and I mostly don't speed around that much. I don't recall checking its accuracy.

I never pre-heat as I'm nearly always only going somewhere in range, and if I'm not I use petrol first if I remember. I thought my electric heater didn't work anyway but it definitely was a bit warm the other day.
If I did 3 cold start-ups in a day for school runs and other things, the all electric range was 20 to 25 miles.

It's the heater. Uses as much as the traction power.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There is a place in the 40mile club reserved for you in spring. The 50 mile club is a bit more exclusive and for most of us is a still warm summer day event, See you there ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts