Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I bought my Ampera new in 2014 and have covered over 75k happy miles until last week when it died.

Dashboard lights up but gets stuck at 'initializing.....' and no drive.

I've read a few things on this forum (great stuff!). Voltage was reading low on original 12v battery so have just fitted a new one but no improvement.

I bought an Autel AP200m diagnostic tool and get the following fault code related to the Hybrid powertrain control module 2.

P0d5e-00 battery charger charger system high voltage present.

I've tried clearing the code but no joy (tool says it clears but immediately returns). I can read lots of data with the diagnostic kit but not sure what to look at to pinpoint the issue.

Car is out of warranty so trying to do what I can at home first.

Anyone got any thoughts on what to try next?

Thanks,

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,714 Posts
The HV warranty, 8 years or 100,000 miles so this side should be covered as it says it is the high voltage, finding a competent Vauxhall dealership might depend on where in the country you are. A Google found this but also try a search on the GM Volt forum.

Attachments

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,714 Posts
I can't search just now as about to head out for my jab, I have had a quick glance through this pdf and it mentions contactors, something rings a bell that someone had an issue with their battery getting old and the contactors fusing closed or something. I'll tag @HandyAndy but apologies if it wasn't you Andy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply, warranty no longer valid as I took the car abroad for a couple of years. I'm also thinking that perhaps low 12v battery has caused another problem. Another clue is that in the weeks leading up to it failing sometimes it wouldn't charge immediately on plugging into the wall charger. It would cut in and out 2 or 3 times before finally settling on green charge light. Wondering now if this was a sign of something failing. Perhaps the 12v battery.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Was it serviced by an OPEL ampera dealer whilst abroad?
@HandyAndy had the contactors fuse due to a failing battery. Not a cheap out of warranty repair, its possible one of the @HEVRA garages can do a repair on this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, was serviced annually by an Opel main dealer in The Netherlands. I'd checked with Drive Vauxhall in Leicester (where we bought the car) before we went abroad and they confirmed as long as I have the car serviced and annual warranty check done and submit the paperwork then warranty should be valid. I did this but seems the insurance company that provide the warranty service to Vauxhall have different ideas and I received a letter saying that as I didn't have the checks done by a Vauxhall dealer in the UK my warranty is no longer valid. Got passed between the dealer, Vauxhall and the warranty company a few times and then realised I wasn't going to get anywhere so crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't break!

Does anyone know how to confirm if the contactors are fused. Either from the diagnostic readings or by taking voltage measurements?

I'm based in Nottingham so would be interested in any local garage recommendations. My experience with Vauxhall has been that they don't understand these cars and want to keep them at arms length.

Once I was told by the Vauxhall main dealer that my car was faulty as the engine started by itself whilst parked in the car park. It was just that they hadn't turned it off or plugged it in so it just needed to put a bit more juice in the battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, was serviced annually by an Opel main dealer in The Netherlands. I'd checked with Drive Vauxhall in Leicester (where we bought the car) before we went abroad and they confirmed as long as I have the car serviced and annual warranty check done and submit the paperwork then warranty should be valid. I did this but seems the insurance company that provide the warranty service to Vauxhall have different ideas and I received a letter saying that as I didn't have the checks done by a Vauxhall dealer in the UK my warranty is no longer valid. Got passed between the dealer, Vauxhall and the warranty company a few times and then realised I wasn't going to get anywhere so crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't break!

Does anyone know how to confirm if the contactors are fused. Either from the diagnostic readings or by taking voltage measurements?

I'm based in Nottingham so would be interested in any local garage recommendations. My experience with Vauxhall has been that they don't understand these cars and want to keep them at arms length.

Once I was told by the Vauxhall main dealer that my car was faulty as the engine started by itself whilst parked in the car park. It was just that they hadn't turned it off or plugged it in so it just needed to put a bit more juice in the battery.
Hell
I think recently Nottingham City Council started a Hevra Garage facility to service electric cars. They were addressing the shortage of local facilities. They service their own electric vehicle fleet as well as private electric cars. It is worth giving them a call. I only saw it in the local papers.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
The Voltec (HV) warranty is Vauxhall, nothing to do with any insurance company. I would assume this to be valid, you need to talk to someone who actually understands this like Bellingers in Wantage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hell
I think recently Nottingham City Council started a Hevra Garage facility to service electric cars. They were addressing the shortage of local facilities. They service their own electric vehicle fleet as well as private electric cars. It is worth giving them a call. I only saw it in the local papers.
Thanks, yes, I've seen their website. Going to give them a call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
P0D5E was just one of the many DTCs I got when the contactors got fused. My car was bricked, couldn't drive it at all. Here's the thread, if it's any use!
Help! Ampera died this morning!
Yeah, mine sounds similar to this except I only get 1 fault code. Am just wondering what I can do to pinpoint the fault further to see whether it is something that can be tackled at home or if it definitely needs to be trailered somewhere. I can get some interesting looking reports from the Autel diagnostic kit. Will see if I can attach some to this thread.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi @h8ten thanks for the DTC pdf you uploaded. I've had a more detailed look and there are 2 faults under P0D5E. The one i have is DTC P0D5E: Battery Charger System High Voltage Present
The conditions for setting this are:
Condition 1
The battery charger control module measures a high voltage charging bus voltage greater than 60 V 1.5 seconds after receiving the discharge command from the hybrid/EV
powertrain control module 2.
OR
Condition 2
The battery charger control module measures a high voltage charging bus voltage greater than 60 V 5 seconds after losing communication with the hybrid/EV powertrain
control module 2.

So it seems potentially an issue with the battery charger delivering >60V. Wondering if anyone else has seen this DTC? Would be really handy to see a plug-in charging schematic if anyone has it?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Reading the entry in the service manual, it sounds like a contactor is welded shut providing high voltage on the charge line when it should be isolated. Thats my take but I'm not an auto engineer. You do have the service manual PDF? The Contactors are in the battery pack.

Service Manual said:
The battery energy control module will diagnose its own systems and determine when a fault condition is present. Diagnostics and system status is communicated from the battery energy control module to the hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 through serial data. The hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 is the host controller for diagnostic
trouble code (DTC) information.

The hybrid/EV battery contains 5 high-voltage contactors and 2 transistors. The high-voltage contactors allow the high-voltage DC batteries to be connected to the vehicle or safely contain the high-voltage DC within the hybrid/EV battery assembly. The 5 high-voltage contactors are a main positive high-voltage contactor, main negative highvoltage
contactor, charge positive high-voltage contactor, charge negative high-voltage contactor and multi-function high-voltage contactor. The 2 transistors are the precharge transistor and heater transistor. These contactors/transistors close and open in sequence and are controlled by the hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2. The hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 supplies voltage to the control circuit for the high-voltage contactors/transistors. Earth is provided through the case earth.

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
202 Posts
So it seems potentially an issue with the battery charger delivering >60V. Wondering if anyone else has seen this DTC? Would be really handy to see a plug-in charging schematic if anyone has it?
I don't think it is the battery charger that is being referred to.

The way the main contactors work is that before the contactors open or close, a 'pre-charge' contactor engages to equalise the voltage on both sides of the main contactors with a controlled current flow. When the voltage on both sides of the main contactors is balanced, the positive main contactor is closed. A short overlap when both are closed is used to confirm and this is when the diagnostics run that I think has brought up your DTC. The reverse procedure happens when the contactors are opened.

So I think this is the 'charge' that the DTC is referring to. In other words, it sounds like you have a problem with the main contactors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Spiny @Spindrift Thanks for the replies. Does seem to be pointing to contactors. I've attached some interesting reports from the Autel kit. The battery charger high output is recorded as 32767 Volts! Wondering if this could be a glitch caused by arcing contactors? Curious to know what a normal value for this would be?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also found this wiring diagram that is quite useful Service Information

So, if i understand this right, the fault is being shown as the hybrid/EV powertrain control module 2 has commanded the main contactors to open and yet there is still >60V being seen on the high voltage charging bus suggesting that there is a direct connection to the battery i.e. fused shut contactors. Still seems strange to me that the voltage is so high and not just reading the max battery voltage though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts