Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, had the 'Service Steering Column Lock' error the other day. After doing what everyone else would do and google the error, i decided to make a short video on what fixed the issue for us. The long shot is that removing fuse F2 in the fuse compartment located at the side of the dash at the drivers side of the car resolved the issue.

For what it's worth, I'm going to speak to Vauxhall next week as the car is still under warranty until November this year.

The video link is below.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Fuse pulling tool is in the fuse box in the engine compartment big box on the right as you look into the engine compartment facing the car (looking towards the back). Not easy to get open IIRC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, had the 'Service Steering Column Lock' error the other day. After doing what everyone else would do and google the error, i decided to make a short video on what fixed the issue for us. The long shot is that removing fuse F2 in the fuse compartment located at the side of the dash at the drivers side of the car resolved the issue.

For what it's worth, I'm going to speak to Vauxhall next week as the car is still under warranty until November this year.

The video link is below.

Thanks, this has just helped me get my car going again. Was pretty worried as it was stuck in the garage in park and had no idea how I was going to get it to the dealership...no need now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks very much for the video and the texts which helped us to solve the problem last night at a motorway service. The F2 fuse is the lower one of the 2 red fuses at the bottom. I didn't notice the grey one at the very bottom and therefore took out the upper of the 2 reds and it didn't work. I then took out and replaced each fuse turn by turn which was how I found the correct RED F2 fuse. Thought it might help other people by clarifying this.

Another issue was about how to open the fuse pulling tool box which sat at the right of the bonnet. It took us over half an hour to figure out. You will see 2 arrows with unlock sign. Just press the click on locks to release the cover. Really simple. Once opened, you will see a white plastic tool sitting in the middle. You can tell very easily.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
481 Posts
I bought myself a spare fuse pulling tool, I keep it in the glovebox just in case. Am thinking of having the steering lock mechanism replaced at the next service.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 64KWh Premium SE, Kia E Niro first edition, Vauxhall e-Corsa se nav (on order)
79 Posts
Haven't posted in a while because nothing to report really but my warranty expired on 14 June. The car was booked in for a service. A week beforehand I came out and experienced the dreaded message and a stranded car. Thanks to this website I was up and running within 10 minutes - after I found a small enough set of pliers and worked out which fuse it was. I mentioned it when they came to pick the car up for service and, again they fully investigated it and ran diagnostics and ordered a new steering column module, following which the steering column lock now makes a different, more high pitched noise, indicating a new and modified part is now being used in place of the "service steering column" one. Definitely worth pushing to get this investigated if your car is still under warranty. I also got 4 brand new alloy wheels when I reported they were losing their silver finish and one of them had corrosion bubbling. No fuss or drama there either I was very pleased with that outcome as well. I have found the dealership Arnold Clark in Glasgow to be really good in dealing with this car. The guys who come to pick it up all love it and they never argue about things. I have had all of the usual suspects - condensation in rear lights, door lock buttons failing, charger brick failure and steering lock. All fixed withgout any argument or difficulty at all. Will now need to survive on the lifetime warranty. Sounds like that will be a bit more of a challenge. Still love the car after 3 years. Still getting 40 miles to a charge summer and was getting 26 in winter. Still averaging just over 1000 mpg after 27000 miles.It's a keeper!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this amazingly helpful video. We had this problem a couple of years back, called RAC they had no idea and found the battery solution online which worked. This is so much easier, as it was in our garage we just used a small pair of pliers to remove the fuse, didn't know there was a kit in the bonnet.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Thank you, very helpful.
Written instructions & pliers now in the glovebox for next time!

·
Ampera Advocate
322 Posts
I have used this video previously to resolve this issue with my MY12 but it actually required me to remove both of the red 10A fuses before it resolved the problem. Have carried the pliers in the car since BUT ...

Today had a variation on this issue with my MY13 that I've only just got (at least I think that it is a variation).

When returning to the car, the steering column service message was there but it was not stopping me driving away as the wheel wasn't locked and there was no ticking noise. After 40 mile journey, the message had gone but when I pulled up on the drive at home, the engine management light came on and the message came back. The whole thing then just froze with the dash sort of half lit and I wasn't able to turn off. Tried removing the fuses as before with no luck. Actually tried each fuse in turn to see if I got lucky but no.

The lights and the half-lit dash remained on and it eventually went into a 'battery saver' mode. I was thinking that the next move was to disconnect the 12V battery but was nervous about doing that so phoned a friend with greater knowledge than me. Whilst waiting for him to come over, I took the dash fuse out (2nd red one up from the bottom) and then started working through the other fuses to see which one would extinguish the headlights. As if by magic, when I took out the specific fuse that fed the headlights, the car kicked back into life with the normal sounds. Replaced both fuses and proved to myself that the car drives normally.

Will be watching it carefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
EVinrude, I have to say that getting a load of miscellaneous errors which come & go is symptomatic of the 12V battery starting to pack up. Do get it checked asap - any signs of anything under 12.0V are suggestive of imminent failure. When my 12V packed in, it happened just as I was starting a domestic charge - and the failure blew/welded my contactors in the car itself. Had to be flatbedded to Bellinghers to be fixed. Don't risk this or similar happening to you.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
100% battery low I would guess! The electronics are awful below a certain voltage and the last fuse you pulled must have re-booted one of the CPU's.

BTW, never worry about disconnecting the battery as long as the car has stood for a minute after powering down as a re-boot is always good for frozen processors.

BTW, if you don't have a digital meter I could always drop round later if you PM me your address.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Had my first "Service Steering column Lock" this morning (n)
As per the video the lower red fuse removal fixed it, thanks(y)

Couple of thoughts - the battery is just over 2 years old, I'll check the voltage after its been sitting overnight to see if its already dropping.
What I think may have happened is as follows - I park straight on the drive and do not load the steering wheel, but last night I had a bag of last minute shopping on the passenger seat. As I left the car I think this caught the wheel and put a load on it as the wheel was not central this morning as usual.

Car is a my13, 39500 miles.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
These damn steering locks! I would guess they have 100% failure rate over the life of a car if not higher.
I get the error every now and then but never yet had to remove the fuse.
It looks as if I should take a look at removing the damn thing and leaving it to buzz away without the stress of the steering wheel before it has a go at stranding me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got Ampera of Rob and he already replaced the steering column module at Arnold Clark.
However yesterday I got the message too and I am going to check the voltage drop overnight and battery condition itself.
I assume we got just a normal 12V battery say 60A not some start stop inventions I hope.
I wonder if the module Rob replaced actually had anything to do with the problem.
Rob done it recently so having the same message less than half year later is not a good sign.
However many of you mentioned battery could be the troublemaker so I will see the condition of it first.
Russ, how far are you from Corby?
Peter

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hi @CarbZeroPete
I'm just south of Leicester so not too far.
The battery is well known to have a short life as on many other EV's which is stupid as they do bugger all. Even the engine is started using the generator, there is no 12v starter motor.

It has to be a sealed gel type with it being sited in the cabin. Search the threads here as it has been mentioned many times.
My home built EV's only use 20Ah batteries as with the Volt/Ampera, when you press the ignition the 12v power comes from the traction battery via a very powerful DC -DC converter power supply.

I think the steering lock error is generally caused when the steering is biased to one side when locking which requires a higher load to be put on the Scalextric motor they use as a servo. Pathetic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This happened to me in the Vauxhall dealer's car park after I had been in to book a service. I knew about the fuse trick, but I thought I'd see how the experts fixed it. They had their laptop plugged in, lots of head scratching and to-ing and fro-ing to the workshop. After 20 minutes I gently suggested that they do a search on the internet. Sure enough, up pops numerous fuse fixes. They pulled the fuse, and hey presto all working again.

At least they know one way to fix it now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts