Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, will be getting the Ampera soon, when I had the demo I asked the salesperson if the electric motor switch off when we stopped.

He replied that when I'm in Drive on electric if I weren't pressing the accelerator no power would be consumed, is this correct.

Also when using the ICE would stop start be engaged when in drive (and stopped)?

Hope this is not to daft a question but would like to know for sure..

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Technically the motor doesn't use power when stopped, but the car draws about 300-350watts to run the computer, etc.
When running on petrol, the engine will sometimes run, other times not, it depends on how much of the battery buffer is left (you can only use 10.4kwh out of the 16kwh battery).
It will sort itself out to be as efficient as it can be ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Hi, will be getting the Ampera soon, when I had the demo I asked the salesperson if the electric motor switch off when we stopped.

He replied that when I'm in Drive on electric if I weren't pressing the accelerator no power would be consumed, is this correct.

Also when using the ICE would stop start be engaged when in drive (and stopped)?

As Lee says:)

It can run the ICE when stationary, if you run on petrol on a motorway, when you pull off to the end of the slip road or just stop for traffic then the car is still trying to build up the electricity to the point you engaged hold. This can sound quite odd and I have had some strange looks:eek:.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Lee is right. The petrol motor is generally not connected to the wheels (can be but only under higher power) so it just acts as a generator. It will cut in and out to keep the battery at a minimum level. The car is always driven by the electric motor so always consumes battery power so the petrol motor runs and stops as the battery power gets used up. So the stopping and starting is not related directly to stopping and starting of the car itself.

So there is no "stop/start" that is related to stopping and starting the car as such. It is always in stop/start mode depending on battery charge.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

Yes this is correct, in-fact in Drive when you do not press the peddle there is actually a very slight regen effect slowing the car ever so slightly and charging the battery. In L Mode the regen is much stronger and the recovered energy is higher (changing to neutral has no regen and the car will coast further) you can only regen about 30% so always best not to use it in the first place rather than to use energy and attempt to recover.

A motor does not use power if the motor is idle, or even in brake-mode. (brake-mode acts as a generator so negative power consumption!) Power is only used when a motor accelerates or is being run under a load. When slowing a motor, decelerating a car, it is acting as a generator converting energy from kinetic (movement) into electrical (potential).

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
@The_Wiggster
Great to hear you are joining the "Fraternity of EVers".
To expand on the information above, you will find that the EV will excel in heavy traffic compared to an ICE as it uses virtually no power in those situations.
When the on-board ICE is enabled, you may notice that it doesn't operate in any normal pattern at all but cycles on and off to suit the minimum battery level.
Even after running on it for a while you will find that it cycles on and off when driving slowly or stopping as regen tops up the battery enough to raise the charge.
You have to concentrate to notice it running though.
The ICE control software designer was definitely a hardened EVer as he desperately tries to ensure that no excess electrons are generated from petrol. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, thank you all for the advice, don't want to to sound really stingy but want to employ every trick to save energy and didn't want to sit at some traffic lights doing something thats costing me money...

I broke my budget buying the car and don't want to find I was doing something really silly.

Your input is really appreciated.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi, thank you all for the advice, don't want to to sound really stingy but want to employ every trick to save energy and didn't want to sit at some traffic lights doing something thats costing me money...

I broke my budget buying the car and don't want to find I was doing something really silly.

As long as you have a gentle right foot, then you will do just fine with it :)

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts

One of the things I hope we will find out with the GM concept for the Volt/Ampera is that this cars battery management is so conservative the battery could well outlast all expectations. @Dennis what is the highest milage Volt your side of the pond and what is its battery state. So you could well be able to keep it for a very long time:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi AndyG I just started another thread in the Amp Battery section with that exact question, thanks for reading my mind. :confused:

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
There is a guy posting in the Facebook Chevy Volt Owners group that has 188,000 Miles on the clock (he apparently drives 7,000 miles a month) although no comment on his current range. I should ask him?

Derek

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
One of the things I hope we will find out with the GM concept for the Volt/Ampera is that this cars battery management is so conservative the battery could well outlast all expectations. @Dennis what is the highest milage Volt your side of the pond and what is its battery state. So you could well be able to keep it for a very long time:)
I've a funny feeling that @Lee Howard has a volt with over 100,000 miles on it? Or did I imagine that ?

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
No I think you are right. If I remember correctly it had not been plugged in regularly until Lee bought it though?

Derek

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
279 Posts

I think it DOES consume some electric power in the motor when in Drive. I think you'll find that it won't roll backwards in Drive (for example on a hill) so the motor is generating torque so it must be energised. If you want to consume no power in the motor when at rest then it need to be in "Neutral" or Park.

·
1,204 Posts
This was a point mentioned by @hopbackguy in this thread: https://speakev.com/threads/mygreenvolt-app-work-with-ampera-as-well.3576/page-2#post-51052

Interesting snippet from the MyGreenVolt app data #1:
You pull up at traffic lights in D or L..
If you put the handbrake on and take your foot off the brake pedal, the car pulls approximately 380W continuously through the transmission.
If you hold the car on the brake pedal, it drops to zero.

This is one of those things you suspect (because it must consume some power to dip the rear end and tense the car against the handbrake like a regular auto) but which the app makes clear.

This relates to leaving the car straining against the handbrake which is not something I suspect many of us would do.

HTH

Derek

Reactions: hopbackguy

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think it DOES consume some electric power in the motor when in Drive. I think you'll find that it won't roll backwards in Drive (for example on a hill) so the motor is generating torque so it must be energised. If you want to consume no power in the motor when at rest then it need to be in "Neutral" or Park.
Or keep your foot on the brake when stopped in D or L. Depends whether you want to save the guy behind from having to look at your brake lights :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi chaps, thats the thing I love about this forum, you are so generous with your advice, THANK YOU, I'm taking it all in and hope to contribute in the future when I have some EV miles under my belt :).

At the moment I am excited to be getting the new(ish) car but as stated in my intro a little bit nervous about the Leccy bills (although I do have Solar Panels so hopefully that will help a bit) and of obviously offset by not having to get any (much) of the black stuff (which costs a lot more) just switching from petrol/diesel which I have used my whole life to the sparky stuff.. :oops:

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Another time the engine may run, even with a fully charged battery, is if the car needs it for the heating,. It can be selected within the menus somewhere so that if the outside temperature is below a certain level the car will run the engine to generate heat for the car interior.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts