Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

where do i start...

I am from Huddersfield had my Ampera since August 2017 worked without issue apart from the Charge cover which sometimes opens most time doesn't..

However 3 weeks ago i plugged the car in at work, it took 2 attempts to plug type 2 to type 1 rolec cable in and the car to recognise that i had applied power to it, i did get a full charge that day even though it rained really hard.

Next day when i plugged in, the wall charger started tripping on and off the light on the car went green then flashed yellow.. then i tried again then it just flashed yellow. tried again now no lights flashing.

I plugged in the charger which came with the car. On the car no flashing lights and the charger just swapping from red to green and back again.. I though this is not good.

when i got home i tried the wall charger i have there.. same issue tripping.

Got the booked at Pentagon @ Sheffield. They have had for 3 weeks now, mainly as the bonnet catch is faulty and on back order.

they say that they had to reset the high voltage battery... and now it charged but they suspect my type 2 to type 1 lead, as it was damp, however that’s cause when i was trying to find what was wrong i left the boot open and it rained on it..
There was a engine light on but no code could be found with my OBD reader which normaly good

questing 1 how hard is it to reset the battery as its 60 mile round trip. it’s a bit of a pain..

question 2 is there a design floor with plugs / sockets with water ingress?

At present i'm running around in my Dodge ram 9mpg on petol 18mpg on LPG i love both cars but my bank accouund doesn't... lol

thanks for any feed back

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it won't charge with more than one charger I would suspect the charge port. The symptoms sound like what happened to mine, which led to the charge port being replaced under warranty. A slight crack had formed allowing water ingress in heavy rain.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If it's a unique maunfacturer error code then it's likely that you need the GM tools to reset it, given your code reader was unable to see it that might be the case. One way to check is to see how many of the modules your code reader can see, there is useful information on the US Volt forums.

The J1772 connector is covered by UL standad 2551 and is a NEMA type 3S enclosure to quote:
water protection not only covers drips and splashes, but also rain, sleet and snow. It is also a requirement of both versions of this standard that the enclosure (and the equipment within in) will be undamaged by sheet ice forming on the enclosure.
So it's a pretty well tested design,

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
There is a known issue with the charge port on the car. Mine got damp in, and shorted out. Was changed by the dealer under the HV wty.
Edit: many, many dupes deleted- I blame the holiday cottage wifi in deepest Suffolk!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts