Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

My Amp. was hit by a truck on Wednesday - possibly my fault because I had inadvertently emerged at a country lane crossroads over an erased give way line and past a give way signpost that had been completely obliterated by overgrown bushes.
I gave the details to the insurer and was then contacted by a third party claims handler. My car was recovered by another firm on behalf of yet another third or fourth party operation. It took a lot of detective work and patience to speak to someone at the third party claims handler but I was told that my car had been taken to a garage where it would be assessed for repair. After more detective work I discovered that it had been take to Axiom accident repair centre in Daventry. However when I spoke with someone at Axiom, they told be that they had received instructions to release the vehicle to a salvage company called Copart. So my much loved Amp. will get written off and broken for parts.
I would not have known any of this had I not been prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone chasing down what had happened to my car - and so far no information directly from my insurer!
Any suggestions, advice, or just commiserations would be most welcome.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,956 Posts
My Amp. was hit by a truck on Wednesday - possibly my fault because I had inadvertently emerged at a country lane crossroads over an erased give way line .....
Any suggestions, advice, or just commiserations would be most welcome.
It is very honest and forthright of you to concede that the mistake was likely yours.

10 out of 10 for being 'adult' about it ..... but .... negative points on 'skill' for getting one of these few gems busted up!! :devilish: :cautious:

Ah well. Point is though, you seem relatively unphased by the physicality of the accident, and quite so as Ampera/Volt was the first ever to 'pass' the side pole impact test. You may not have even been wondering what happens to it next, if it had been a lesser car.

Just consider that accident. It's clear in a car of an older age you'd be in a very very poorly way right now.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
911 Posts
Commiserations and as said well done for being adult about responsibility. Glad you are ok.
contact your insurers post haste and ask they deal with the claim as a third party no win no fee claims company is not going to help much as there is nothing in it for them as you will be held responsible. They can end up just slowing everything down frankly. This is the time when having your own comprehensive insurance policy will be the saviour. Now if the car has been taken to a salvage dealer it might be the “third party” has been appointed by your insurers as technically the car is yours and only you have the right to agree to its sale, but this right passes to your insurers if you are claiming under your policy with them. What might have happened is your insurers put in train their own process where they use preferred suppliers who have delegated authorities to get on and move a claim along. Clearly an engineer has looked at the car and costed repairs hence it being moved. Clarify asap with your insurers and if they have not been dealing ask them to take over the case. If I were the lorry drivers insurer I would not accept responsibility for my driver in the circumstances I am afraid so whatever happens your insurers will have to deal with the third party claim.
A real shame but thankfully you are OK and anyone of us who drives a car can make errors like this.Good luck

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,828 Posts
Sorry to read this, but as long as you, and all passengers, are fine then the car has done its job protecting you. It's just a pile of metal and can be replaced, maybe not with another equivalent Ampera but you may decide to make the final jump to a full BEV.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tough break, but glad no-one was seriously injured.

Many years back, an insurer wanted to write-off a car of mine that had been hit in the petrol tank area by a reversing minibus. The write-off value was way below what the car was worth and, as we still had possession of the car and it was driveable, we were able to get a competitive repair quote and convince the insurers to repair instead.

Before you agree to anything, I would definitely find out how much they are proposing to pay you for your car, and make sure it's a realistic market value (pre-accident). If not, try to sort it out with them directly, or get some professional advice.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Who maintains the markings and signs in that area? Find the right ambulance chaser to track them down, and you’ll get enough for six new Amperas - and a Rolex to wear while driving them ;)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Who maintains the markings and signs in that area? Find the right ambulance chaser to track them down, and you’ll get enough for six new Amperas - and a Rolex to wear while driving them ;)
Yep, take loads of photos and don't roll over so other folks get an easy ride. A few mates have used ambulance chasers, took a while but really paid off.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yep, get photos to support your account. Due to road works on my usual dual carriageway route home I've been taking country roads. Those bush-hidden signs and gravel-covered markings have almost caught me out on a couple occasions.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR '72 | Nissan Leaf 24 '64
1,908 Posts
I would not have known any of this had I not been prepared to spend a lot of time on the phone chasing down what had happened to my car - and so far no information directly from my insurer!
Name and shame the insurer, I say! Sounds like a useless one to be avoided in the future.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plant Sky Vehicle Car Tire

This was my view of what turned out to be a crossroads. I was heading towards the lane occupied by the white van. If you look to the driver's side of the white van you will observe the crossroads sign that confused me.
I was expecting a crossroads but there were also several farm drives to the right and left as well as ad-hoc passing places and my initial impression was that I was approaching a farm drive prior to reaching the crossroads. In the photograph it is possible to discern part of the faded give way triangle on the road but I didn't see it at the time - nor did I see the give way sign that is hidden in the bushes. Just beyond the white van is a new crossroads that has been built to accommodate HS2 traffic and just prior to my accident I had watched a vehicle in front of me turn right here. This may have strengthened my belief that this was the crossroads that I was expecting. The HS2 road is not shown on my Sat-nav or on Google maps. Having said all that - I really should have been more aware and when I was unsure of what I could see, the safe option would have been to stop and figure it out. The vehicle that hit me would only have seen me drive across in front. He was on an unrestricted road and could legally travel at up to 60 mph and, therefore, cannot share the blame.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
What the actual f*ck, that would catch anyone out. No no no, make the bloody council (or whichever outfit maintains this road) pay for your new car and a bit on top.

In a way you have a moral responsibility to call this out and make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else - this junction could easily kill a biker, or someone in an older car.

• Wow
Reactions: Marli and GarryL

·
37,956 Posts
Is the (supposed) give way location actually in that shot?

You were the one obliged to give way to your right, in the absence of directions, but I think there is a fair case here to be made that you appeared to be on the main road and the van came from a side road.

I'd personally argue it is a 20/20/60 fault (you/van/council) based on that view, with the local roads authority having caused the whole accident.

I think the insurance company might be taking a ton of problems (or about 1.8 tonnes in fact) off your hands by going down the dismantling route, probably worth more for parts now. But unless you admitted the accident was your liability, I don't think they should have gone off cocked as a comprehensive claim without checking with you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In a way you have a moral responsibility to call this out and make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else - this junction could easily kill a biker, or someone in an older car.
Since the collision, several neighbours and friends have come forward to say that they had accidentally driven or cycled straight over that crossroads without realising it was there - these are normally very quiet traffic-free roads and I was just unlucky!
As Donald said above - I should have been looking out for traffic from the right even given my mistaken belief that it was just a farm track. Under these circumstances, I don't believe I have a claim against the local authority (in this case Northamptonshire) but I do have a duty to bring the hazard to their attention.

·
37,956 Posts
Since the collision, several neighbours and friends have come forward to say that they had accidentally driven or cycled straight over that crossroads without realising it was there - these are normally very quiet traffic-free roads and I was just unlucky!
As Donald said above - I should have been looking out for traffic from the right even given my mistaken belief that it was just a farm track. Under these circumstances, I don't believe I have a claim against the local authority (in this case Northamptonshire) but I do have a duty to bring the hazard to their attention.
I am not sure. I think there is negligence here, and particularly if you are not the first to raise the hazard (you need to ask about this, or indeed any other risk assessments from HS2 or previous accidents via the Police) then I'd say you'll have a reasonable civil claim for negligence. That doesn't mean they are responsible for the whole of the accident, and again no-one can doubt your fairness and self-analysis here, but you have a right to get a bit angry about this and share the blame.

Do you have legal costs protection with your insurance? This is one of those cases to get that cranked up, and let them get on with it. Whether it is worth your effort to try to chase it is another matter, but with legal cover I'd recommend you activate that on this case.

Like I say, if you had been in a lesser car then it'd be a personal injury situation too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gutted for you matey, can't honestly say I'd have done anything different given the appalling road marking / signage. You & the other driver we're very unlucky this time & from the sounds of the neighbours it was just a matter of time before something happened there. Very glad everyone's OK - that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Had a look at the classifieds yet?!?!? You KNOW you wanna :love::D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have legal costs protection with your insurance? This is one of those cases to get that cranked up, and let them get on with it. Whether it is worth your effort to try to chase it is another matter, but with legal cover I'd recommend you activate that on this case.
I do have this feature as part of my insurance and I will phone them to see if they can take it up. All the indications are that the parties handling the claim(s) on behalf of the insurers have already made a decision to dispose of the car as salvage. My main concern is what they might regard as a reasonable settlement. Speaking to those who know how insurance companies work, it would appear that I will struggle to receive enough to buy another one.

·
37,956 Posts
I do have this feature as part of my insurance and I will phone them to see if they can take it up. All the indications are that the parties handling the claim(s) on behalf of the insurers have already made a decision to dispose of the car as salvage. My main concern is what they might regard as a reasonable settlement. Speaking to those who know how insurance companies work, it would appear that I will struggle to receive enough to buy another one.
I think this is almost inevitable now and your solution has to be to talk the valuation up because of car-value inflation of late. Regrettably I would be a but cautious over getting them to 'buy you a replacement', they are getting of a certain age now, your own you knew the history. Demand the price you ask or another plug-in car with a 50 mile all electric range.

I think you are at liberty to get another party involved to argue the price, I think that is a done thing? (Am I thinking of another country?)

The matter of the allocation of the blame is more about driver record and how that impacts your insurance costs for the next 5 years. If you have protected NCB maybe it makes no difference.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts