Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! First post - Ampera owner for 1 week :)

I was just reading a german site, and apparently there is a "transport" mode on the Ampera whereby many electrical functions can be shut down during long periods of un-use (eg. while parked at an airport car park for a few weeks) - thus saving 12v lead acid battery - (if I am translating correctly)

Method:

1 - switch on ignition
2 - turn on hazard lights
3 - press and hold start button for 15 seconds

To cancel - do the same again

I have not yet tried this, or really see a need - but hey, just a tip.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
There's a guide to long term storage of a Volt over on gm-volt.com.

I don't think you need to worry about it for a few weeks away though; if I understand correctly this really is intended for leaving the car for several months.

Reactions: donald

·
Registered
705 Posts
Switch on ignition? What's that I only know of a start button.
Talking of long term storage I wonder how new Amperas are stored battery wise?
Geoff

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just been away for 25 days. Drove the car to to our departure point on petrol with a fully charged battery. Let the storage company drive it away and park it.

There was 47 miles left in the main battery when we left the car and when we got back there were 46 miles left. There were no issues starting the car.

So short term with no use and not plugged in was not an issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I was just reading a german site, and apparently there is a "transport" mode on the Ampera whereby many electrical functions can be shut down during long periods of un-use (eg. while parked at an airport car park for a few weeks) - thus saving 12v lead acid battery - (if I am translating correctly)

Method:

1 - switch on ignition

HI this is my 1st post I will face this problem when leaving my Ampera for 3 month does this work on an Ampera do not want to come back to a dead car

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,191 Posts
Thanks for flagging this. I hadn't heard of it, though doubt I will ever need it. I'd have taken a spanner to the battery, myself.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I doubt that Vauxhall know of this as my car has had its 12v battery replaced before I purchased it last year.
It had only covered 11,000 miles in two years as a demonstrator so been parked up for very long periods.
Traction battery seems good though as 50 miles is easily achievable if I could learn to stop racing hot hatches! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just a quick one but if I disconnect the battery and close the boot, how do I open the boot when I come back to the car as I assume the central locking won't work?

·
29,191 Posts
You can insert a square drive tool in the lock from within the car, behind a pull off flap, and it will open that way. Test this first with the boot open so you know what size of drive to use and where it is.

I would personally leave it on trickle charge. Use a solar panel I have a 6W one I use for the little used Espace and it does great.

You can also leave it plugged in. If you set the car to charge for 15 minutes a day while you are away, starting with a low SOC, then it'll just charge a little every day (or even every few days, you can set this on the timer) and will top up the 12V each time, which will keep it healthy.

·
29,191 Posts
I don't know if adding power to the 'jump start' points under the bonnet would energise the system to allow the boot to be opened. You would also need the key to open the door to allow the bonnet to be opened.
I would not advise applying 12V power to the front without the 12V battery fitted into the circuit. It is the 12V battery that, to a large extent, regulates the voltages on the 12V circuit and soaks up any transients as systems switch on or off.

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
I have parked my current MY13 and previous MY12 Ampera at airport for 2 weeks with no issue. Longer than that gets expensive so I tend to get train or taxi :) I have left this one for 6 weeks plugged in ;)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My car was being repaired for a "no fault of mine" insurance job in 2015 for 10 weeks and was ok when returned.

Now after another idiot rear ended me it has been away for 5 weeks to date just awaiting the bumper parts from Vauxhall/Germany/US.
Have been given the 24th June when they will be delivered now so no idea how long the car will be unpowered now.

Surely rear bumpers are the most commonly required parts after the 12v battery!

What's the betting they have a huge stock of brake and ICE spares sitting somewhere gathering dust.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I put mine in “Maintenance mode” for towing manoeuvres when the HVAC unit died and the AA had to drag it out from my drive on a steep slope. If I remember rightly, you just press and hold the power button for many seconds and everything but the HV traction battery come on. This means the 12 v battery is being used without top up. I can’t remember how to shut it down for shipping mode, but I remember there is one and could probably get to it on Gm-volt forum if ever needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,147 Posts
If anyone buys YH15 ZHT let me know - that's my old one :) As it was MOT'd last month I assume its for sale again :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm away from tomorrow for a month so I thought I'd investigate what to do.

So I followed the suggestion in the manual (without bothering to read it first!!). But immediately I disconnected the -ve the alarm went off. Stopped it by unlocking the car, and disconnected it properly. But now of course the central locking doesn't work because it has no power, and only the driver's door locks on the key - well, except the boot, which I'd shut and was also locked (I read Donald's comment above about how to unlock, but I managed to reach the battery from the back seat to reconnect it, which I now know is sort of how the manual says to do it).

I now have this fear of locking myself out of the car so I think I will opt for the transport mode. Given the 12v battery is only two weeks old I imagine this will be OK. Anyone disagree?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Method:

1 - switch on ignition

My advice : don’t do it, just because you can. You are disabling all the battery management.
It was designed for shipping by boat across the Atlantic when new for safety reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts