Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to this forum so Hello :)

I have a 2013 Vauxhall Ampera and recently it has developed a couple of problems that some clever person on here maybe able to help with, I will do two separate posts so it doesn't get confusing.

When I plug the car in to charge it trips any charger I try. Itknocks the RCD out in my consumer box at home when connecting to the POD charger I have. I then tried the Vauxhall 13amp plug charger and although it doesn't trip the house electrics it does trip the charger unit and the car stops charging.

I have had a quick look for threads on this and not found too much other than it could be the actual port on the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start taking it to dealers etc.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I had this too on my 2013. It turned out to be the charging port on the car had a hairline crack retaining moisture and shorting. At the house point I would plug in and nothing, it was only when I checked the trip switch in the house that it had tripped. Trying a public charger with my own lead resulted in repeated clunking from the public charger along with the dashtop light illuminating briefly repeatedly in time with the clunking, something that never happened at home. I put it in to the dealership to have it checked and this is what was diagnosed. I can't recall the exact repair costs but think it was around the £300 mark. I've since seen this Youtube clip and I reckon I could have changed it myself. Cost for the port from the States is around $115, I don't know if it would be cheaper from Vauxhall.

Edited to say that my Bluetooth dongle did not read any error codes from the car itself.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Deffo sounds like the car's socket. Rubber cap is badly designed, catches rain beautifully which ends up inside electrics unless you dry it scrupulously first. Hopefully you are still in 8 yr 100k mile wty, if so get dealer to fix for free. Bellingers in Wantage are good.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just over £80 from the states. Might have to pay customs though...

And how to change it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooohhh thanks for all the info guys, unfortunately I am out of warranty due to the mileage, I have taken to Eastbourne Motor company before and they quite happily told me that the warranty was up on it :)

Thanks H8TEN for the reply that sound exactly the problem, where I park in the evening the car is on a slight tilt down tot he drivers side so this would aid the ingress of water as well. I am sure our problems are exactly the same. It shows absolutely no faults at all.

Bellingers are not a million miles away from me so might take it to them for the next service.

As for the part Roger, that is perfect and I am going to order one, I am happy to fiddle and do some mechanics on the car and I have had a quick look and it doesn't seem too tricky to get at.

Thanks so much guys for all your help and will be sure to post anything I find out.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
That video looks good to me. The only thing I'd add is to suggest disconnect the Earth (-ve) lead of the 12V battery under the boot floor, before removing the High Voltage disconnect thing between the front seats. This is what the Volt Service Manual says you should do. So simply lift the rhs of the 2 small square plastic covers in boot floor under carpet, and you should see the Gnd terminal. 10mm socket will loosen it, then poke it to one side & wedge some cloth in to make sure it doen't shift & connect up again. After all done, put the HV connector block back in, then reattach the 12V Gnd.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I rip a plastic bin bag and fit it in the door and bonnet,covering the charging port every time I charge her up.
I’m in wales and it’s normally chucking it down.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Ditto, I have a stiff polythene bag I form into a tent, clipped onto the cable handle. I really do not like wet on the handles and connectors, even if they're supposed to be stormproof. And I always dry the whole socket area after a charge with a hanky, before closing flap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts