Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The panel at the back of the front passenger seat (GM part number: 20972444 - Panel,Trim,Seat Back) appeared to be distorted - so, today, I took it off to investigate. The distortion appears to have been due to a large object being placed (forced) in the pocket at the back of the seat - this has caused the backing material, which is some sort of pressed hardboard, to crack either side. I plan to try and repair it with epoxy resin and strengthen it with a flat steel bar - that should do the trick.

I did look at replacing the panel complete with a new one but the cost in the UK is silly money - so I hope my repair plan works. While the panel was off I noticed a date sticker - see image below. Interesting given that my car was first registered on 10 March 2015.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
All of the UK cars were built in 2011/2012 and shipped over; they then spent a varying number of years in secure storage (a.k.a. a field) while being sold at a trickle, or until being sold off from early 2014 onwards at heavily discounted prices. A few MY2014 cars randomly seemed to make it over here at about the time the great sell-off began, and were the last to be registered, some as late as 2015.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The panel at the back of the front passenger seat (GM part number: 20972444 - Panel,Trim,Seat Back) appeared to be distorted - so, today, I took it off to investigate. The distortion appears to have been due to a large object being placed (forced) in the pocket at the back of the seat - this has caused the backing material, which is some sort of pressed hardboard, to crack either side. I plan to try and repair it with epoxy resin and strengthen it with a flat steel bar - that should do the trick.

I did look at replacing the panel complete with a new one but the cost in the UK is silly money - so I hope my repair plan works. While the panel was off I noticed a date sticker - see image below. Interesting given that my car was first registered on 10 March 2015.

If you have the seat back with the pocket then you have a 2012 Model even if it was registered in 2015. That design ended Sept 2012. I assume you also do not have the energy gauge as on of the rotating dash options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the seat back with the pocket then you have a 2012 Model even if it was registered in 2015. That design ended Sept 2012. I assume you also do not have the energy gauge as on of the rotating dash options.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting mix - my car does have the seat pockets AND the energy gauge. The maps on the satnav include post 2013 updates. Did they ship the cars over from the States in CKD boxes?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I think you might be wrong there Rick, I'm afraid - my (sorry, now Paul's!) MY2013 Positiv has the energy meter and the pockets on the rear of the front seats and I thought that was standard.

Graham, sounds like someone might have paid for the later satnav updates in 2014, after which I think they lost interest at Vauxhall for updating (or indeed having anything to do with) the Ampera.

I suspect that rather than nice cryogenic sealed containers it was more like banana boxes!!

·
Ampera Advocate
317 Posts
All of the UK cars were built in 2011/2012 and shipped over; they then spent a varying number of years in secure storage (a.k.a. a field) while being sold at a trickle, or until being sold off from early 2014 onwards at heavily discounted prices. A few MY2014 cars randomly seemed to make it over here at about the time the great sell-off began, and were the last to be registered, some as late as 2015.
Stating the obvious, that's why it appears that all the cars have tyres that are dated 2011 or 2012.

Presumably though they came over in batches with the 2012 model in the early batches and the mega-rare 2014 model (with solid black leather seats) in the final batch to make up the numbers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect that rather than nice cryogenic sealed containers it was more like banana boxes!!
There was a day when cars were exported worldwide from the UK - I remember pondering on how they managed to get a whole Triumph Herald into a crate that seemed to be not much larger than an orange box. I think the last time crated cars were exported on any scale occurred was when Hillman Avengers were sent for assembly in Iran.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stating the obvious, that's why it appears that all the cars have tyres that are dated 2011 or 2012.

Presumably though they came over in batches with the 2012 model in the early batches and the mega-rare 2014 model (with solid black leather seats) in the final batch to make up the numbers.
Looking through the various GM Volt parts lists, it would appear that those solid leather seats were intended for the second generation Volt in 2015/16. The seat back with an elasticated pocket (Part No: 20972444 in black) is listed for MY2014.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts