Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Opel Ampera early 2012 model and software update done. I only get 8.5kWh out of the hybris battery. Is there any way to get lost capacity back somehow.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
95 Posts
It’s important to fully deplete the battery and then fully recharge it the first few times following the update. Have you done that? I didn’t notice much of a change after mine was done in the summer (used to get 10.2kw). But I’ve noticed recently it’s gone down to 9.8kw or 9.5kw per charge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s important to fully deplete the battery and then fully recharge it the first few times following the update. Have you done that? I didn’t notice much of a change after mine was done in the summer (used to get 10.2kw). But I’ve noticed recently it’s gone down to 9.8kw or 9.5kw per charge
I’ve done that about a month and no change

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take a look at this threads:

You can increase the battery capacity index value by doing a slow discharge or by running in mountain mode, but the value quickly goes down again after driving in electric only for a few sessions.

I even tried to do a battery capacity reset / relearn with VCX Nano and repeat this procedures. Battery display usage goes up (I managed to get 9.1 kWh one time) but once you start using only battery it goes down again to 8.7 (in my case).

I'm convinced only with a reflash to a previous software version will the 10kWh be available again.

·
Registered
2012 Ampera
90 Posts
IMHO, what new version of software does is protecting GM from replacing your battery under warranty by robbing you some range. Basically, if one of cells sags too much, it will call it quits earlier than before.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was a little traumatised today to have to use petrol to get home from work because I only got 8.7kwh out of my battery!
I had the software upgrade a couple of months back following an error about the High Voltage charging system. The update took my previous10.6 down towards 9.x, but I had hoped that was the end of it.
Computer Output device Gadget Flat panel display Font

(The low range achieved was because it was cold, and I was doing 70mph)

One thing I have noticed with the new software, they have changed how they account for regen kwh. When you do a big downhill, the kwh used total goes down - so you can't end up scoring more than 10.6 kwh on a very hilly route (see below, from July 2018). It's very sad I might not be able to achieve this again!
Fruit Food Sports equipment Staple food Natural foods

Back when this was achieved, my Ampera was on 75,000 miles. Now it's on 111,000 miles - almost all of the intervening miles have been electric.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Opel Ampera early 2012 model and software update done. I only get 8.5kWh out of the hybris battery. Is there any way to get lost capacity back somehow.
Did you request the update or was it done without your knowledge by the main dealer when in for service? Mine is due in and I’m wondering if I should tell them at drop off to NOT update software?!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Did you request the update or was it done without your knowledge by the main dealer when in for service? Mine is due in and I’m wondering if I should tell them at drop off to NOT update software?!
We had our Volt "flashed" 3 times Since August 2020 for the SHVCS error. 1st time in 2020 the level sensor failed, SHVCS latched and we had the sensor replaced and the firmware flashed for the 1st time to unlatch. This lead to a kwh loss from 10.1-10-2 to 9.5 kwh. Then we had had the SHVCS error again just after 1 year of the 2020 fix. Bellingers took it in, could find nothing wrong, so have it a "software update" i.e Flashed it again to unlatch the fault., and charged us £115 for the privilege. Same 9.5kwh max. Just 5 full charge /discharges later it latched the SHVCS again. I took a month to get it back they are so busy. During that time i ordered the WOTS defeat plug from the USA, despite the website warnings about EU /UK shipments he did (slowly) process the order, it had to give him a mobile number for UK customs.

So the 3rd time it went in i insisted all they did was reflash the software to unlatch the error FOC, check it would start a charge, and nothing else. Grumpily they did this. I waited while they did it, took about 1 1/2 hrs. As soon as they gave me the car back as charging , i disconnected the 12v battery in the boot, popped the bonnet there and then and fitted to coolant level sensor defeat plug. Then plugged the car back in to their charger, checked it started a charge, and said thanks very much and left. They looked stunned. I honest believe they think all Volt / Ampera owners are technical morons ready for raping.

But we are on 118k miles and we went over 100k miles in early 2020 and got to 8 years old in May 2020, so where long out of Voltec warranty.

When in warranty i had the battery coolant fluid changes @ 50k as per the service schedule and our Volt has never lost more than a tiny bit of fluid, and the last 3 SHVCS errors since 2020 it has not lost a drop of any coolant fluid from all 3 tanks.

My advice to you is ; Make it perfectly clear you do not want any software updates, and make, or buy (from USA), a WOT's coolant sensor defeat plug asap so you never get the SHVCS error and do manual checks of the coolant fluid levels a few times a year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Vauxhall Dealer (Eden Exeter) said that installing the software update was the first part of the diagnosis process.Which made sense - with everything these days one applies the latest software before doing anything else - and I had a car which didn't charge. Little did I know I would loose range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We had our Volt "flashed" 3 times Since August 2020 for the SHVCS error. 1st time in 2020 the level sensor failed, SHVCS latched and we had the sensor replaced and the firmware flashed for the 1st time to unlatch. This lead to a kwh loss from 10.1-10-2 to 9.5 kwh. Then we had had the SHVCS error again just after 1 year of the 2020 fix. Bellingers took it in, could find nothing wrong, so have it a "software update" i.e Flashed it again to unlatch the fault., and charged us £115 for the privilege. Same 9.5kwh max. Just 5 full charge /discharges later it latched the SHVCS again. I took a month to get it back they are so busy. During that time i ordered the WOTS defeat plug from the USA, despite the website warnings about EU /UK shipments he did (slowly) process the order, it had to give him a mobile number for UK customs.

So the 3rd time it went in i insisted all they did was reflash the software to unlatch the error FOC, check it would start a charge, and nothing else. Grumpily they did this. I waited while they did it, took about 1 1/2 hrs. As soon as they gave me the car back as charging , i disconnected the 12v battery in the boot, popped the bonnet there and then and fitted to coolant level sensor defeat plug. Then plugged the car back in to their charger, checked it started a charge, and said thanks very much and left. They looked stunned. I honest believe they think all Volt / Ampera owners are technical morons ready for raping.

But we are on 118k miles and we went over 100k miles in early 2020 and got to 8 years old in May 2020, so where long out of Voltec warranty.

When in warranty i had the battery coolant fluid changes @ 50k as per the service schedule and our Volt has never lost more than a tiny bit of fluid, and the last 3 SHVCS errors since 2020 it has not lost a drop of any coolant fluid from all 3 tanks.

My advice to you is ; Make it perfectly clear you do not want any software updates, and make, or buy (from USA), a WOT's coolant sensor defeat plug asap so you never get the SHVCS error and do manual checks of the coolant fluid levels a few times a year.
Thanks for that great advice, sorry you had such a hassle with yours. Just one question, what does SHVCS stand for?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Vauxhall Dealer (Eden Exeter) said that installing the software update was the first part of the diagnosis process.Which made sense - with everything these days one applies the latest software before doing anything else - and I had a car which didn't charge. Little did I know I would loose range.
Thanks for the insight, I’ll avoid the update when mine goes in for its interim service end of the month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts