Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hit a problem with the practicality of the Ampera that I hadn't expected. I have been planning to buy some DVD towers from ikea. The package isn't wide but it's 212cm long. That's too long to carry without folding down the front seat so they project into the front passenger area. The problem is the front seat:
- the headrest doesn't seem to come off (unlike the back one which does)
- the seat back doesn't fold over forward very far beyond upright. Combined with...
- the seat doesn't slide forward far enough to fold the seat back backwards nearly flat

Whatever I do I can't get 212cm of length for a package inside the car. All my previous cars had front seats that you could slide way forward and then push the seat back backwards to make it nearly flat - even my Jag!

So I can't carry them home in the car. And ikea don't deliver this item. So it's find a friend with an estate or big hatchback and schedule a favour. Damn!!

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
The last time we had the same problem we…………..put the front seat as far forward and up as it would go, folded the back seat down then the front seat as far down as possible, it worked well for flat pack but not sure on your box size.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, just tried that Andy. Front seat to forward stop, fold back as far as it will go, still sticks way up in the air, the package would be hitting the top of the windscreen! As I said, box length is 212cm..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeh its smallish to start with and not very flexible. I had 2 6 ft long 3ft wide fence panels in there at w/e which was a challenge to say the least!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
How about and inflatable roof rack? Can't think what they are called now, but would do the trick nicely.
Or straight through the middle and up over the dashboard ?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ye
How about and inflatable roof rack? Can't think what they are called now, but would do the trick nicely.
Or straight through the middle and up over the dashboard ?
Yeah that sounds safe lol. Nope, mates Mazda 6 could be the answer.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
No, just tried that Andy. Front seat to forward stop, fold back as far as it will go, still sticks way up in the air, the package would be hitting the top of the windscreen! As I said, box length is 212cm..
Did you lift the seat as high as you could? I know this sound back to front (sorry if this is granny and egg time) but as the seat goes up it goes further forward and because of the better angle allow the seat to fold flatter

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you lift the seat as high as you could? I know this sound back to front (sorry if this is granny and egg time) but as the seat goes up it goes further forward and because of the better angle allow the seat to fold flatter
I'd forgotten that...worth a try tomorrow morning.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
You could always arrange a test drive in a larger car (like a Outlander) ;)

Alternatively this is a great case for the Hertz 24/7 van rental by the hour!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for reminding me Andy, I'd forgotten that the passenger seat also has height adjustment. Pumped up as high as it will go, I could lay the seat back further than before. The non-removable headrest is still a pain, but measuring it now I *think* I should be able to get the IKEA boxes in.
IMG_0968.JPG

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Might be a daft idea, but it might be worth taking the components out of the box. I realise the box will be the 212cm to accommodate the longest pieces but you may be surprised by the amount of bulk in the packaging and if you are close for length it may make the difference.

HTH

Derek

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for reminding me Andy, I'd forgotten that the passenger seat also has height adjustment. Pumped up as high as it will go, I could lay the seat back further than before. The non-removable headrest is still a pain, but measuring it now I *think* I should be able to get the IKEA boxes in.
View attachment 1262
Picked them up this morning....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts