Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’m now a 2 EV family since I kept my Ampera when I collected my Tesla 3 Performance early Aug. I have some pretty extensive records of the Ampera efficiency, and can record accurately what it actually takes to refill (including the charging loss), as I can with the Tesla, So.... and just for pointless fun, I’ll take a 30 mile drive with the Ampera at a fairly set cruising speed, then arrive home and recharge. I’ll repeat the process with the Model 3. Which will win ?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,062 Posts
Interesting to find out. I have all the stats from when I bought the Ampera but all I have worked out so far is that is cost me less the 4p a mile in fuel over the 6 years and 115k. I could manage 50 miles at a push with regularity but a lot depended on the weather as the roads I used were quiet enough for me to cruise along 45 - 55 without holding up traffic. The chargers that I used in Scotland are still free.
Should have saiid the Model 3 as it is newer technology.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning matey, I totally love the Ampera, it’s a lot more ‘normal’ than the 3, it’s certainly at least as comfy, and it’s smoother due to the relatively lazy accelerator response in normal mode. I kind of want both cars to win this..... I’ve a sneaky suspicion that there’s not much in it to be honest..... maybe the Ampera could actually win ? I’ll keep you posted :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,062 Posts
Aye, the Ampera is a great car, dealership and even manufacturer support is a different kettle of fish. My commute is just on the edge of it's range. Probably why I have learned to squeeze as much out of the leccy as possible. I will need to go through the spreadsheet to get the exact leccy to petrol used as for the first 2 years of ownership I couldn't charge near to work. I went from a lifetime MPG of around 86 when I could only charge at home to 250+ when I found charging near to work.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Aye, the Ampera is a great car, dealership and even manufacturer support is a different kettle of fish.
So, the Ampy and the Tesla are more similar than we thought! Great cars, shame about the company behind them.

I reckon the Tesla will come out on top in your test....just. At say 70mph thought the margin will be bigger

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good morning matey, I totally love the Ampera, it’s a lot more ‘normal’ than the 3, it’s certainly at least as comfy, and it’s smoother due to the relatively lazy accelerator response in normal mode. I kind of want both cars to win this..... I’ve a sneaky suspicion that there’s not much in it to be honest..... maybe the Ampera could actually win ? I’ll keep you posted :)
I am on the edge of my seat (metaphorically)! And, I look forward to your other observations on the new (to us) Tesla.

I still think it is a shame that the Ampera wasn't developed along with the second generation Volt - the extra reange and beefier range extender would have proved useful. I have occasionally charged the Ampera when at work using the granny lead but it is very slow - seven hours of charge to give me an extra 25 miles or so!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Also intrigued by this, but I’m going to suggest that the Ampera is significantly more efficient 😲 !

Isn’t it just a case of 10kw Ampera battery charge gives 40 miles - 4 miles per kw.
86kw into the Tesla gets you 239 miles per What Car Sep19 - 2.8 miles per kw.

43% better ?😉

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll keep you posted on this, I was about to start when I had some issue with the GOM, it went crazy and suggested I had 2 miles remaining when it was fully charged ! Seems to have settled down now, so I’m hoping to do a bit of testing this weekend

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I couldn’t call this one yet, I have no clue to be honest, however on the face of it, 42 miles per charge on the Amperas roughly 10.5kWh, when devided into the Tesla battery capacity would indicate that if they managed the same efficiency, the Tesla could go 295 miles-ish, which seems possible based on what it suggests the remaining range is after a typical drive.

We’ll see. It’s all rather pointless, but interesting to me nevertheless :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Collected our M3 yesterday, and M25/A12/A140 journey home over 100 miles returned 4.1 mile per kWh. At the speeds I dont think our Ampera would quite manage that, but our electric Ioniq would have done.
I think the M3 efficiency drop as speed increases may be slightly less than both Ampy and the Ironic

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember a few months ago getting 51 miles on a gentle run into the countryside in the Ampera, that would equate to 353-ish miles for a full charge in the Tesla.... which again sounds about right, pointing towards ‘gentle driving’ at 50mph ish maybe being similar, but as you say, higher speeds may well be different, likewise, the Tesla (would appear) to lose a lot of range when sitting around on the driveway, so those day to day short trips would be an interesting experiment too

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing is for sure, the Ampera is a great car, a really great car, if your usage fits with its range, it’s the best car you can buy.

Obviously it’s a case of buying what suits your needs, a transit van is a useless track day tool, and an MX5 is not great if you’re a builder ! Lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the first test is done, the results are not yet in, whatd'ya know ....... I'm waiting for the Ampera to charge back up ........ just a gut feeling, if the Tesla walks away with this one, it ain't gonna be by much ...... and from past experience of the Ampera, despite me not being quite able to concretely crunch the numbers in my head, I reckon the Ampera might have this one. This was 45 miles of country lanes at reasonably steady speed. Ampera arrived home with 6 miles remaining, so that'll give you some idea of how it went, I guess it should indicate a 51 mile full charge, or car display claims 201wh/mile ?

(note that the results will be from actual electricity consumed at the wall rather than what the car displays show)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,062 Posts
the first test is done, the results are not yet in, whatd'ya know ....... I'm waiting for the Ampera to charge back up ........ just a gut feeling, if the Tesla walks away with this one, it ain't gonna be by much ...... and from past experience of the Ampera, despite me not being quite able to concretely crunch the numbers in my head, I reckon the Ampera might have this one. This was 45 miles of country lanes at reasonably steady speed. Ampera arrived home with 6 miles remaining, so that'll give you some idea of how it went, I guess it should indicate a 51 mile full charge, or car display claims 201wh/mile ?

(note that the results will be from actual electricity consumed at the wall rather than what the car displays show)
Question then. Charging losses. Given that the Ampera will charge slower than the 3 are you going to throttle back the 3s charging level to match?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't, oops !

good question indeed... but a difficult one really. hmmm, if you wanted to compare exactly the car, to the car, then you'd have to eliminate these charging differences, but in reality, I have both cars and wonder which, in it's normal (unmodified use) is the most efficient. I guess what I was wondering (yes, I should get a life) was which was (in it's normal use) costs the least to cover a certain amount of miles. Note, the Tesla used exactly 11.73kWh though the charger, yet the car (which doesn't split the kWh with a decimal, was part way between 10 and 11kWh consumed) Teslafi has it as Used 11.3kWh, Added 11.0kWh / 97.4% efficiency, that's got to be b****cks, thats very high ?

ok, ok, lets see how this one goes, I can consider charging the Tesla via the 13amp if you like

by the way, which car are you suggesting might incur the greater charging loss ?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,062 Posts
Can you not just adjust the charging level in the 3 down to the same 16 amp that the Ampera feeds off? For charging losses that is way above my knowledge for trying to calculate, I don't know if the Ampera would lose more as it is charging for longer but then the 3 is charging at a higher rate and so could be liable for more losses.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sure, but if I've time, might be best just to charge them off the same kind of source with the same kind of charger, not convinced there will be a massive difference somehow

1 - 20 of 31 Posts