Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been bored, who isn’t at the moment ? Filled the Tesla with one gallon’s value of electric, think I used £5.70/ gal, or about 36.95kWh @ my day rate of about 15p/kWh. That charged the Tesla from 27% to 72% or 45% total capacity of the battery. I then drove it round on my ‘essential errands’ shopping for parents etc, I noted the mileage when I was back at 27%. I did the same with the Ampera, filled the battery, reset the trip, then noted the mileage when the battery was back full again after several part charges that totalled 36.95kWh. Virtually no heat or air-con were used in either car, and both were driven the same way, as gently as possible.
Don’t believe everything they say about how efficient the Tesla’s are. The Tesla did 113 miles, and the Ampera did 139 miles.
There is a difference in efficiency between the two, my Tesla 3 is the performance so it’s already a shade worse than the standard long range, but I think it’s more the fact that the Tesla stays powered up on the driveway for hours at a time before sleeping, that and Sentry Mode wasting tonnes (although that wasn’t used for testing.

So that makes is 327wh/ mile for the Tesla and 266wh/ mile for the Ampera

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,360 Posts
I knew my use of the M3P was less efficient but then I was trying to eke every last yard out of the Ampera battery on my commute. Had lockdown not happened I was going to try the Tesla going the same shorter route (but takes longer as twisty A roads as opposed to dual carriageway/motorway) without heating/aircon. The thing about the Tesla is in my commute I don't have 'need to use petrol' anxiety of the Ampera.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, keep me posted if you’re able to compare, is your Tesla the Performance ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha, I think I have about 7800 miles on mine, but the Ampera is my everyday car, looking forward to getting some longer driving trips in the Tesla, I was all booked in for a big circular tour of Scotland, right as the lockdown kicked in, very disappointed :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
I will add a comparison of my 2013 Volt and my M3P to this. At the moment I am putting the miles on the Volt as my wife is not working but next week I will be in the M3. Less the 100 miles so far!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I picked it up with a dent. I was going to leave it in the garage until the dent was fixed but have now been put off until early May so next week it becomes my daily driver ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry, which car had a dent ? not the Tesla ?

by the way, do you have a Tesla Roadster ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, the Tesla M3 had a dent in the wing just behind the front wheel when I picked it up. I would have rejected it but it is a blue M3P with white interior and there did not appear to be another on the way to replace it.
I think I have a Roadster, it is on it's way to me from Japan, currently about to dock in Singapore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts