Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a smart charger installed , and it randomly charges it , or doesn't charge it ! Checked the app and it's set right but does seem to charge
Any ideas

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
What is the evse? The amp has timers and if these are used then they will come first.

One problem with smart evse's is some (all?) control the cp line turning it on and off, switching on causes the amp to think its been plugged in resulting in the horn sounding.

I have a zappi and without modifying the Ampera its unusable in the smart solar modes, think annoying the neighbours all day as the sun goes in and out behind clouds.
I don't bother with smart functions, just use the car timer on octopus go if night charging. Daytime, my solar can provide enough with battery assistance for clouds on sunny days. The zappi can be turned down to 6 or 10A and that helps with solar.
The intention is to use the zappi with the next car.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,007 Posts
Ampera does some sort of precheck when you plug in and then sets the charger to 'ready', pending the car's own timer settings.

If the 'smart' charger is too dumb it will block the initial pilot signal check from the Ampera and then the Ampera will decide it's not connected to a proper charger and not engage later on when the charger finally 'agrees'.

If you set the charger to initiate a 'normal' charge for a minute, get that going, then have it switch off, I think the Ampera might then allow it (as nothing has been disconnected, it's software will 'assume' a power cut or something, and carry on later).

I cannot say if any of that is true or correct in your case, YMMV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the evse? The amp has timers and if these are used then they will come first.

One problem with smart evse's is some (all?) control the cp line turning it on and off, switching on causes the amp to think its been plugged in resulting in the horn sounding.

I have a zappi and without modifying the Ampera its unusable in the smart solar modes, think annoying the neighbours all day as the sun goes in and out behind clouds.
I don't bother with smart functions, just use the car timer on octopus go if night charging. Daytime, my solar can provide enough with battery assistance for clouds on sunny days. The zappi can be turned down to 6 or 10A and that helps with solar.
The intention is to use the zappi with the next car.
Ah right had to turn off the alarm as for the charger as it kept going off in the night , what shall I do ?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I don't think you have the car alarm going off, just the charging cable connection as it is switched on.
I think @HandyAndy has worked out how to silence the horn when the charger switches on so you can charge using a App/timer/smart charger.
I simply charge it using the car timer. For night time I set the Zappi to fast (IE always on) then set the car to finish charging at 4:30AM , I use Octopus Go. It takes about 12kWh to fully charge so just under 4 hours.
See Image - this starts with the House battery getting a top up on go at 0:30 then the Ampera comes on so the draw is house idle + battery top up+ Ampera. once the battery is done then just the Ampera left + the house idle draw @ 250 there are a couple of servers + cable modem and the routers and a few asorted bits and pieces. Then at 4:30 when the Ampera is done the Ampera finishes and the house reverts to battery power awaiting the dawn.

Its a waste of what the Zappi can do but as mentioned this is for the next car and as VAT was 5% when they installed the solar and little extra to install the Zappi along with the electrical work for the rest It went in, saved a couple of pence on fitting later.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I made up a circuit that uses a relay to disconnect the Horn Circuit fuse in the boot of the car, whenever the car's fully switched off (doors locked). Possibly this might mean the alarm wouldn't operate if someone nicked it, but I considered that unlikely tbh. The Horn Circuit (and just about every other item in the car) are supplied at +12V the whole time, even when the car's theoretically switched off! So my challenge was to find some signal that got switched on & off with the car's own on/off. The Fuse I needed to switch lives in the back left compartment beside the tail lights, and the only signal I could find was a 2V one just inside the DAB radio decoder box that's in the boot under the floor. So my circuit uses that minuscule signal to switch a Mosfet transistor that takes negligible amps so won't disturb/overload the DAB circuit, in turn the mosfet then drives a beefy 12V relay that does the serious job of switching on/off the power to the Horn circuit. Details here, not difficult for a diyer happy with small electronics to make this up for you & fit it.
Not able to charge

Reactions: Spiny

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
in the Ampera you set the departure time, the car calculates the start time.
Its on the infotainment (centre console) screen, page 74 of the 2013 manual,press the charging option, there is an edit on the next screen. set the Finish time - Make sure the clock is correct thought! been there done that.
Do the same for all the week.
Set delayed charging on the charging screen.
Turn off sometime
plug in - it will beep twice - this is the delayed charge. A single beep is the charging now sign and what messes up using remote starting.
NOTE:- the last setting is remembered - and yes I have plugged in many times and had the double beep when I wanted a quick charge now! Solution:-
1, Turn off delayed charging. duh!
2, Plugging in, then removing the plug and putting back within 5 seconds turns off delayed charging.
3, You can get in, turn on the car then turn off delayed charging and turn it off again - no need to unplug.
No 2 is the favorite of many on here :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Just redo you setting or settings that need altering. There is no "Reset" as such, even disconnecting the 12v will not disturb the setting.
I only use the timer function when delaying charging.
Just what is it doing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried all sorts but something is wrong
My app is set to charge from 12,30 to 4,30 am but the car is not letting this happen
Just redo you setting or settings that need altering. There is no "Reset" as such, even disconnecting the 12v will not disturb the setting.
I only use the timer function when delaying charging.
Just what is it doing?
What time settings do you use

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Tried all sorts but something is wrong
My app is set to charge from 12,30 to 4,30 am but the car is not letting this happen

What time settings do you use
You are trying to charge the car using an app? This will probably fail as the car obey it's own settings, turning it on via a charge point will cause the horn to sound unless that has been defeated using an add on.
Use the car timer set to 4:30 am finish
Have the charge point on charge now, for a Zappi this is the fast setting, other makes I do not know. Then plug the car in, a double beep tells you the car is on the timer.

No beeps at midnight and the car calculates when to start charging to end at 4:30.

If you have defeated the on board horn then you could set the car to charge immediately and use the app to turn on charging.

This may not work on some brands, depends how it is done , it does on the Zappi just wakes the neighbours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts