Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get rear bearing noise on left hand bends. And brakes squealing and binding a bit on the rear right. I'm thinking change rear right bearings and exercise the brakes in neutral down some big hills.

However I can only find the entire hub: REAR HUB OPEL AMPERA

Please tell me there's a cheaper way!?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or are the affordable? I saw £150 each, may need 2? Must be cheaper somewhere

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,769 Posts
Unlikely. Probably just rusty brakes. As the hub tolerance closes up under lateral load you might be hearing the pads skimming the rust. It's the front bearings known to be dodgy on delta platform types.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fronts are fine, rear right wheel is stiff to rotate when jacked up. May as well rule the brakes out before doing anything more.

What's the cure for the brakes rubbing and whining?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Or put the parking brake on every time you stop and drive off without taking it off again. It auto-releases but takes a second and the discs and pads get a little exercise. I do this once a day now and my discs have gradually looked better over the two years that I have owned. I did it more often at first.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Or put the parking brake on every time you stop and drive off without taking it off again. It auto-releases but takes a second and the discs and pads get a little exercise. I do this once a day now and my discs have gradually looked better over the two years that I have owned. I did it more often at first.
This is good advice - on many of our cars the brakes get very little use and, almost always, the electric parking brake wil have been used only when the car is already at a stand. This is why the brake discs or rotors get rusty and the pads get seized.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always use the pull-off park brake yeah

So I've discovered the wheel is getting hot while driving due to the brake rub. To be honest the brakes don't look in bad condition, and there's not really a lip between the used and unused part of the disc.

Something must be sticking.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
T
I always use the pull-off park brake yeah

So I've discovered the wheel is getting hot while driving due to the brake rub. To be honest the brakes don't look in bad condition, and there's not really a lip between the used and unused part of the disc.

Something must be sticking.
the red is rust because it’s getting hot.
Take out the pads,think you’ll need a resetting tool to push the callipers back in.
It’s normally the pads sticking on the runner part.
Wire brush/file the rust off and replace,I check every year on mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts