Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my Leaf has come to the end of its finance agreement and will be leaving us soon.
Yesterday I received a call from Nissan, asking if i was going to upgrade to a new NIssan car.
I explained to the lady I had bought a Tesla, (never heard of one of them, she said)
When I explained I was not buying a new Nissan, she said and I quote.....
"I am sure your local dealership will make you a very nice offer on the Tesla, to get you into a new Nissan Leaf"

Had to smile......

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Perhaps you could respond by asking if they have a Leaf with equivalent specs to the Tesla for you to consider?
Perhaps Sir would be interested in an Infiniti LE? It has rear cupholders, so it's a worthy upgrade...!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's worth the time to bring your Tesla to the Nissan dealership. I've done this twice, both times to get the annual inspection done (which, curiously, Tesla's service center can't do, but all the dealerships can). The first time was at the local Toyota dealership; every service tech stopped what they were doing and came over to look at the car. The inspection took about twice as long as normal.:D One of the old guys came up to me later, very friendly, and said "that's the car of the future. It's going to put a lot of car techs out of work; good thing I'm retiring soon!"

The second time was to the Audi dealership where I had my Audis serviced. Fun times, there, too.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
In the UK the annual inspection (called MOT here) is only required after the car is 3 years old so a while to go for UK Tesla owners.

It's worth the time to bring your Tesla to the Nissan dealership. I've done this twice, both times to get the annual inspection done (which, curiously, Tesla's service center can't do, but all the dealerships can). The first time was at the local Toyota dealership; every service tech stopped what they were doing and came over to look at the car. The inspection took about twice as long as normal.:D One of the old guys came up to me later, very friendly, and said "that's the car of the future. It's going to put a lot of car techs out of work; good thing I'm retiring soon!"

The second time was to the Audi dealership where I had my Audis serviced. Fun times, there, too.

·
Registered
294 Posts
We just had our 54 plate citroen c3 mot'd in my local independant garage who I have known for years and count as great friends however the owners wife and I are going through the normal 'yes you'll need to book in for cam belt change and new water pump as it's 10 years old and service book recommends blah blah' when I stopped her and said not to worry as we'd be selling and getting a new car soon. 'Ooh lovely she says What is it?' So I tell her we're getting a tesla model s electric car and suddenly I get this look from her like I've done a crap on the floor and we're trading insults about why I'm an idiot and ev's are rubbish and I'll regret it and of course I mean its a hybrid and it still has a petrol engine so I'm a hypocrite but no I'm telling her it's just batteries and she needs to let all of this thing with oily engine bits go and embrace the modern world etc. Phew. All great fun but made me realise that to a garage owner who makes their living fixing the zillions of bits that go wrong on regular cars, it's like telling the family butcher that youve gone 'vegey'.

Ps. Original battery on citroen died on way to mot but my erstwhile best mates at the garage sorted a new one for just £63. Result! All's good in the world but then on way home my wife asks innocently how much a new tesla battery would be . . ... Err.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
We just had our 54 plate citroen c3 mot'd in my local independant garage who I have known for years and count as great friends however the owners wife and I are going through the normal 'yes you'll need to book in for cam belt change and new water pump as it's 10 years old and service book recommends blah blah' when I stopped her and said not to worry as we'd be selling and getting a new car soon. 'Ooh lovely she says What is it?' So I tell her we're getting a tesla model s electric car and suddenly I get this look from her like I've done a crap on the floor and we're trading insults about why I'm an idiot and ev's are rubbish and I'll regret it and of course I mean its a hybrid and it still has a petrol engine so I'm a hypocrite but no I'm telling her it's just batteries and she needs to let all of this thing with oily engine bits go and embrace the modern world etc. Phew. All great fun but made me realise that to a garage owner who makes their living fixing the zillions of bits that go wrong on regular cars, it's like telling the family butcher that youve gone 'vegey'.

Ps. Original battery on citroen died on way to mot but my erstwhile best mates at the garage sorted a new one for just £63. Result! All's good in the world but then on way home my wife asks innocently how much a new tesla battery would be . . ... Err.
Thing is that an EV still has a 12V battery, springs, dampers, tyres, brake pads, brake discs, CV joints, wheel bearings, raidators,hoses, air con, light bulbs, wiper blades...

There is plenty for small garages to do still, they may just need to adjust their labour rates in the future to stay profitable.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I make that 13 parts for them to change (if you ever wear out the brake pads!) as opposed to the 400 in an IC engine alone. And if you go to Kwik Fit they will tell you they are not permitted to service the aircon on an EV , so make that 12.......none of which need changing like oil does .
And who know what would happen if Elon tracks your car going into Kwik Fit ;)
Thing is that an EV still has a 12V battery, springs, dampers, tyres, brake pads, brake discs, CV joints, wheel bearings, raidators,hoses, air con, light bulbs, wiper blades...

There is plenty for small garages to do still, they may just need to adjust their labour rates in the future to stay profitable.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
The 12V battery on our LEAF failed after about 5 months, breaking the family record previously held by the Lucas battery in my father's '71 E-Type.

Time will tell, but I don't think these cars are going to be more reliable then the best of the ICE cars.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
My wife was gutted when she had a new 12V battery in her Astra last winter. It's a 2002 model, and the battery was the original Vauxhall one it left the factory with !
Apparently they don't make them like they use to ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts