Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fascinated to read this comment in response to the positive review of the Model S on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gAssing/...11375&mid=19613&nmt=RE:+Tesla+Model+S:+Review

We all know the change will happen, so I think it's important to enjoy the last few years of petrol powered cars - soon they will be gone, and that will be that. We've already lost the manual gearbox and the naturally aspirated engine this century... I've nothing against electric cars, but they'll never have that god honest brutality of a fuel burner. I'll keep paying my £500 road tax and mental fuel bills for as long as I can before accepting this new technology. We're in the twilight years - I can't believe something with such romance only lasted 100 years!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
god honest brutality of a fuel burner
I love cars, but that's just nonsense talk. For me electric power is more "honest" than the overblown orchestra of metal and explosions that is an ICE car. It's got a harder fight to win hearts because it last bravado and show... and yet it's still brilliant.

I've always enjoyed cars and engines and power as "things" while also loving progress and technology. Maybe that's why I still admire and can "enjoy" a range of ICE cars, but it's like enjoying seeing a Spitfire or Vulcan Bomber, a Model T Ford.... they can be awe inspiring, brilliant, but just... old, of a time gone by. Keep on moving.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes absolutely agreed. Just found it fascinating to hear the emotion driving the resistance. A nostalgic reluctance to change from what is familiar?

The head arguements in favour of ev driving are compelling to me, so feels helpful to have a sense of the hearts reluctance for some.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think of it, when THE fast cars are EVs, that could be the end of nonsense fake loud exhaust boy racer cars, trying to "sound like" the best. Heaven.

Harder to spot wannabe fools and dodgy drivers mind you.
Will just have to look for the go faster stripes.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have no data to back this up so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the majority of vocal anti EVers have never actually driven an electric car. Driving one is the opinion changer in my opinion. The "pistonheads" evaluation reads as though the writer is searching for reasons to condemn them, but on his driving experience found this almost impossible.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no data to back this up so correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the majority of vocal anti EVers have never actually driven an electric car. Driving one is the opinion changer in my opinion. The "pistonheads" evaluation reads as though the writer is searching for reasons to condemn them, but on his driving experience found this almost impossible.
The comment was from a reader in response to the article, they had not driven the Model S themselves.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
375 Posts
No doubt petrol engines will keep some fans. It's not just the technology and the charm some might find in it, but it's also the fondness one might feel for something you've learnt know over many years, often after dreaming about getting behind the wheel since a little child. I have a special fondness for the most archaic of all the cars I ever drove, the Citroen 2 cv. So I completely understand the commenter in that respect.

Personally, ever since I learnt about the inefficiency of the ICE in high school, I found them bewildering and over complicated despite getting pretty competent at maintaining them as a penniless student. For me EV are not futuristic,they're overdue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Much as I agree that EVs are the future, and absolutely love our Leaf (that we've had now for just over a week) to the point that I intend to never go back to an ICE car, I think the comment in the OP is actually quite thoughtful. After all, there are plenty of people who love the noise, smoke and general romance of steam engines, and I think this petrolhead is just expressing a similar emotion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts