Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I own a plugin hybrid and use recharging points whenever I can. For these times when I see there are not any free recharging points I would like to be contacted by an EV owner in an emergency. Me I can reach my destination using gas, but they can not. With this idea I have just created a small app to manage that. The ev or phev owner prints a QR code and puts it in his windscreen. In a few steps owner can give a reply if he can be there in 5 or 10 minutes to help ev user.
https://www.evsoli.com
What do you think? Any typos? (A lot of them? :cry:) Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Interesting idea. Only typo that leaps out at me is that you haven't done the French translation of "Emergencies only" on the sample card.

Other feedback: I would want to see a description of what, exactly, you are doing and how this works. I think I can see, but I shouldn't have to guess.

And, related to that, is the issue of privacy. You seem to be storing email addresses: you assure us that they won't be used for marketing purposes but somehow I think I need a little more confidence.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Also: Is there an option to deactivate an entry from your database?

And - does your tool throttle multiple requests to the same entry? (I'm thinking of the case where a malicious person might try to bombard me with emails)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting idea. Only typo that leaps out at me is that you haven't done the French translation of "Emergencies only" on the sample card.

Other feedback: I would want to see a description of what, exactly, you are doing and how this works. I think I can see, but I shouldn't have to guess.

And, related to that, is the issue of privacy. You seem to be storing email addresses: you assure us that they won't be used for marketing purposes but somehow I think I need a little more confidence.
Thank you HillmanImp! I will change the french translation and add a description of the whole process.

Yes, I need to store emails. Any ideas to give more confidence? I’ll investigate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also: Is there an option to deactivate an entry from your database?

And - does your tool throttle multiple requests to the same entry? (I'm thinking of the case where a malicious person might try to bombard me with emails)
Good idea. I will provide this option.

The requesters are sent an email to confirm. It may be enough I think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi!
I own a plugin hybrid and use recharging points whenever I can. For these times when I see there are not any free recharging points I would like to be contacted by an EV owner in an emergency. Me I can reach my destination using gas, but they can not. With this idea I have just created a small app to manage that. The ev or phev owner prints a QR code and puts it in his windscreen. In a few steps owner can give a reply if he can be there in 5 or 10 minutes to help ev user.
Love it, thank you

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,714 Posts
Chargebump was developed by Paul, who also set up SpeakEV.com. Although I am registered with it I have never had to use it and never received a request other than in the initial stages of testing the app. There are other similar apps been mentioned in the past. There is also an EVA Scotland card that is placed in the windscreen with an expected return time. The person arriving can send a text with a code to a central number and this is forwarded on to the registered owner notifying of a user waiting.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
570 Posts
Perhaps some little screen style gadget that can be left on the dashboard indicating when the owner expects to return to the car, saves perhaps waiting if it's going to be too long before you can jump on the charger. Perhaps a security issue is that nefarious individuals would know how long they have to carry out their activities before being discovered. Maybe not a problem in a busy MSA, where it is most likely to be useful.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Many people have had similar ideas. I just printed a sheet of paper with my mobile number on it, saying people should give me a call if there’s a problem with my car blocking a charger. I’m very considerate anyway when charging anyway.
Actually a note/space with mobile number inside the charging flap would be good if it were universal, the only viewable when charging/open and no chance of forgetting the note in the windscreen or it being there when not needed.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hi!
How long does it take a PHEV to charge? An hour or so (justa guess)
Wont it likely be full or near full by the time somene comes across it unless it happens to be within say 15 min of you leaving it?
So you'll likely have returned and moved it off the charger by then anyway?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I remember back in the day when you just left a note on dashboard with eta back or mobile number very simple.
This is what I do when I might be away from my car for longer than the time needed to take on the minimum number of electrons to get me to my destination or next planned charging point. Only once been contacted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@AnotherJoe No, it takes a lot more time. More than one hour surely. PHEVs have around 8-13 kwh and charge at a speed of 3,7 (a few of them at 7,4). Most of time we do not charge because we need it but because we can, while we are shopping, visiting some one, tourism…

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
@AnotherJoe No, it takes a lot more time. More than one hour surely. PHEVs have around 8-13 kwh and charge at a speed of 3,7 (a few of them at 7,4). Most of time we do not charge because we need it but because we can, while we are shopping, visiting some one, tourism…
Ok thanks. Much worse than I though . So these are hogging chargers for hours? I wonder how useful this woudl be in practice? Unless desperate for a charge wouldn't most just move on rather than looking in an app on the off chance it's in this network if they even know of it ?

I'm wondering if it's subconsciously a sop to conscience, eg "Ok I'm hogging this charge point to add 5 miles an hour but no one ever contacted me so I can pretend didn't stop several EV users charging their EV for an order or magnitude more miles than I could have added" ?:devilish:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts