Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm more or less committed - in my head at least - to replacing my 2016 30kWh leaf with something more capable. Ideally we'd go to a single car household.

The man-maths don't really add up, as my GF would only be saving about 1k/year in tax, insurance, servicing and fuel costs on her 2005 octavia estate (our long distance workhorse).

Still, I can afford up to £400/month on payments - currently I'm paying £180, so we started to have a look on Saturday.

The first vehicle we went to see was the e208. Unfortunately the salesperson I'd been in touch with took it home before we arrived at the dealership, which we couldn't be mad about because we didn't actually arrange anything.

Still, we got to sit in the e208 they had in the showroom, and it did seem nice. The 3d instrument binnacle is a nice touch. I was surprised at how impressed the GF was at the looks - it's a lovely looking car - but the boot size was a dealbreaker. It's actually smaller than the leaf, and we wouldn't be able to cart the vast amount of crap she thinks we need on any long distance trip away with our daughter and our dog :)rolleyes:), plus the reports of very poor range.

Next was a visit to the Hyundai dealership to look at the Kona. They didn't have the EV version in the showroom at that particular branch, but we did poke around the ICE variant they had, which apparently is identical. The GF liked the interior, but again, the boot seemed too small. Maybe we need an electric hearse?

Then we looked at the Ioniq. It's a nice car in the flesh. And it's her preferred option because the boot is massive. But will the 160 mile range be enough?

I would have gone to see the electric versions of both the Kona and the Ioniq at the dealership this afternoon, but after storm Dennis yesterday, I think it'll be a while before they're back open for business - poor sods :(

·
Registered
593 Posts
So I'm more or less committed - in my head at least - to replacing my 2016 30kWh leaf with something more capable. Ideally we'd go to a single car household.

The man-maths don't really add up, as my GF would only be saving about 1k/year in tax, insurance, servicing and fuel costs on her 2005 octavia estate (our long distance workhorse).

Still, I can afford up to £400/month on payments - currently I'm paying £180, so we started to have a look on Saturday.

The first vehicle we went to see was the e208. Unfortunately the salesperson I'd been in touch with took it home before we arrived at the dealership, which we couldn't be mad about because we didn't actually arrange anything.

Still, we got to sit in the e208 they had in the showroom, and it did seem nice. The 3d instrument binnacle is a nice touch. I was surprised at how impressed the GF was at the looks - it's a lovely looking car - but the boot size was a dealbreaker. It's actually smaller than the leaf, and we wouldn't be able to cart the vast amount of crap she thinks we need on any long distance trip away with our daughter and our dog :)rolleyes:), plus the reports of very poor range.

Next was a visit to the Hyundai dealership to look at the Kona. They didn't have the EV version in the showroom at that particular branch, but we did poke around the ICE variant they had, which apparently is identical. The GF liked the interior, but again, the boot seemed too small. Maybe we need an electric hearse?

Then we looked at the Ioniq. It's a nice car in the flesh. And it's her preferred option because the boot is massive. But will the 160 mile range be enough?

I would have gone to see the electric versions of both the Kona and the Ioniq at the dealership this afternoon, but after storm Dennis yesterday, I think it'll be a while before they're back open for business - poor sods :(
The new Ioniq range is more than 160 on WLTP. It is 190+ I think.

Lease deals are excellent on the Ioniq ATM as well, probably the cheapest EV around to lease.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,091 Posts
The Leaf 60 is being massively discounted and there are 2 or 3 colours that are not banging it into the luxury VED band.

Worth looking at the new Soul 64. It's got a slightly bigger boot than the Kona I think. Rear passenger space in the old Soul was also surprsingly good. I sat in the back of mine and thought there was lots of room and it actually felt comfortable as many cars have terrible rear seating.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Where are you driving from and generally too? Chargers are improving considerably esp near motorway sites. The Ioniq may not have the best range but does charge fine.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where are you driving from and generally too? Chargers are improving considerably esp near motorway sites. The Ioniq may not have the best range but does charge fine.
Our longest monthly trip is 110 miles. Cardiff to Mid-Dorset. General day to day use is tiny - less than 15 miles. Plus 215 miles to Cornwall twice a year.

I'm currently watching Bjorn Nyland's range test videos for the 38kWh Ioniq on youtube. It would seem that rapid charging isn't that rapid in some cases :(

·
Registered
593 Posts
Our longest monthly trip is 110 miles. Cardiff to Mid-Dorset. General day to day use is tiny - less than 15 miles. Plus 215 miles to Cornwall twice a year.

I'm currently watching Bjorn Nyland's range test videos for the 38kWh Ioniq on youtube. It would seem that rapid charging isn't that rapid in some cases :(
Got to remember that 50% capacity is more range on the new Ioniq than the old. The time to get to 130 miles of range is actually pretty similar between the two on a 50kw fast charger.

On his "Gelio" test which is about 250km I think, the old Ioniq wouldn't have made it without stopping, whereas the new one made it all the way.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Both my GF & I actively dislike the 'SUV' looks of the Niro (and the MG).

No offence meant to anyone driving those - but they're not for me :D
I do understand your comment here, as I also hated SUVs - however, we're now driving a nice new MG ZS EV (3 weeks in) and have an e-Niro on order! I swallowed my anti-SUV predudice on the basis that I'm on the inside, and therefore don't have to look at it! the practicality and economics of both these cars are simply compelling - to my mind there's nothing in the market today that can touch them. I'm really impressed with the driving experience of the MG - I'm getting used to the higher driving position, appreciating the better visibility and really see the benefit in the extra ground clearence and suspension travel (with the appauling state of the UK roads nowadays). I strongly urge you to at least drive them (the MG and the e-Niro) just to ensure you're making a fully informed decision.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,028 Posts
True, they have space, but for the size of these things they aren't that space efficient.

My Golf Estate has far more room in it than say a Nissan Quashqui, and is much more of a driver's car.

Roll on EV estate cars :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Looks like MG might have that covered too next year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks like MG might have that covered too next year.
True, they have space, but for the size of these things they aren't that space efficient.

My Golf Estate has far more room in it than say a Nissan Quashqui, and is much more of a driver's car.

Roll on EV estate cars :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
I couldn't agree more! I currently drive a Volvo V70 (estate, of course) and my wife has the new MG. When I move to the e-Niro I'll really miss the volvo load space, but I'm determined to go electric and there just aren't any electric estates at present. The forthcoming MG estate looks very interesting, if only as a kick-start to that aspect of the EV market, but will probably be too small to compete with the Volvo. I can get 3 large guitar cases sideways in the volvo, as well as my amps and other gear, without even putting the seats down! It also swallows large fridge-freezers, office desks, etc (all the things kids ask you to move for them!!). The MG ZS EV is a stop-gap car, until someone produces an EV estate the size of a large Volvo.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
110 miles is fine, 215 to Cornwall is a 30 minute stop at Collumpton to recharge, a few options by the summer but 2 x Instavolt not far of the motorway was my charge point on the M5 south.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about the funky, edgy iconic looks of the Soul ?
;)
I'm fine with that, since the soul isn't pretending to be an off road vehicle that never sees anything bigger than a puddle / pot hole :)

It's unashamedly weird but can still corner reasonably flat :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had some interesting prices for a 38kWh Ioniq on carwow.

One dealership in Oxford is quoting £249/month on PCP, based on £8500 down. Which sounds pretty good (GFV £12500).

I need to get my Leaf valeted & up for sale :)

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
I've had some interesting prices for a 38kWh Ioniq on carwow.

One dealership in Oxford is quoting £249/month on PCP, based on £8500 down. Which sounds pretty good (GFV £12500).

I need to get my Leaf valeted & up for sale :)
What term is that over?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts