Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

An interesting weekend....

5K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  JeffG 
#1 ·
So I'm more or less committed - in my head at least - to replacing my 2016 30kWh leaf with something more capable. Ideally we'd go to a single car household.

The man-maths don't really add up, as my GF would only be saving about 1k/year in tax, insurance, servicing and fuel costs on her 2005 octavia estate (our long distance workhorse).

Still, I can afford up to £400/month on payments - currently I'm paying £180, so we started to have a look on Saturday.

The first vehicle we went to see was the e208. Unfortunately the salesperson I'd been in touch with took it home before we arrived at the dealership, which we couldn't be mad about because we didn't actually arrange anything.

Still, we got to sit in the e208 they had in the showroom, and it did seem nice. The 3d instrument binnacle is a nice touch. I was surprised at how impressed the GF was at the looks - it's a lovely looking car - but the boot size was a dealbreaker. It's actually smaller than the leaf, and we wouldn't be able to cart the vast amount of crap she thinks we need on any long distance trip away with our daughter and our dog :)rolleyes:), plus the reports of very poor range.

Next was a visit to the Hyundai dealership to look at the Kona. They didn't have the EV version in the showroom at that particular branch, but we did poke around the ICE variant they had, which apparently is identical. The GF liked the interior, but again, the boot seemed too small. Maybe we need an electric hearse?

Then we looked at the Ioniq. It's a nice car in the flesh. And it's her preferred option because the boot is massive. But will the 160 mile range be enough?

I would have gone to see the electric versions of both the Kona and the Ioniq at the dealership this afternoon, but after storm Dennis yesterday, I think it'll be a while before they're back open for business - poor sods :(

See less See more
#5 ·
The Leaf 60 is being massively discounted and there are 2 or 3 colours that are not banging it into the luxury VED band.

Worth looking at the new Soul 64. It's got a slightly bigger boot than the Kona I think. Rear passenger space in the old Soul was also surprsingly good. I sat in the back of mine and thought there was lots of room and it actually felt comfortable as many cars have terrible rear seating.

#8 · (Edited)
Our longest monthly trip is 110 miles. Cardiff to Mid-Dorset. General day to day use is tiny - less than 15 miles. Plus 215 miles to Cornwall twice a year.

I'm currently watching Bjorn Nyland's range test videos for the 38kWh Ioniq on youtube. It would seem that rapid charging isn't that rapid in some cases :(

#21 ·
£8500 down!! bejesus!

Have you looked at the new shape leaf 62kwh? As above there are some good deals on it and Personally i would NEVER put more than 1 month deposit/down on a lease/pcp..

Go for a 1+23/35 lease and laugh your way to the bank. There were also some good offers on leaf40's for under £300 and for your trips one rapid along the way would be fine any time of year.

#26 ·
That is exactly the point, and don't forget, after 36months you have all the repairs bar the battery and drive train and some charging bits that you need to take care of.

Leasing is a lot less hassle and while prices are this cheap it's the best way to go before they then balloon in a few years as you'll still have an option to buy with most leasing companies

#29 ·
I just read an article on a Spanish forum about a company in Seville who will rebuild a Leaf's battery pack with better quality, more heat resistant cells from LG. You'll get a spanking new 44 kWh battery pack for €9500, which is 7911 GBP. I'd almost consider buying a 6 years old Leaf for 6000 euros and putting the new pack in. A quite capable EV for 15000 euros is almost a steal.

#37 ·
So I'm more or less committed - in my head at least - to replacing my 2016 30kWh leaf with something more capable. Ideally we'd go to a single car household.

The man-maths don't really add up, as my GF would only be saving about 1k/year in tax, insurance, servicing and fuel costs on her 2005 octavia estate (our long distance workhorse).

Still, I can afford up to £400/month on payments - currently I'm paying £180, so we started to have a look on Saturday.

The first vehicle we went to see was the e208. Unfortunately the salesperson I'd been in touch with took it home before we arrived at the dealership, which we couldn't be mad about because we didn't actually arrange anything.

Still, we got to sit in the e208 they had in the showroom, and it did seem nice. The 3d instrument binnacle is a nice touch. I was surprised at how impressed the GF was at the looks - it's a lovely looking car - but the boot size was a dealbreaker. It's actually smaller than the leaf, and we wouldn't be able to cart the vast amount of crap she thinks we need on any long distance trip away with our daughter and our dog :)rolleyes:), plus the reports of very poor range.

Next was a visit to the Hyundai dealership to look at the Kona. They didn't have the EV version in the showroom at that particular branch, but we did poke around the ICE variant they had, which apparently is identical. The GF liked the interior, but again, the boot seemed too small. Maybe we need an electric hearse?

Then we looked at the Ioniq. It's a nice car in the flesh. And it's her preferred option because the boot is massive. But will the 160 mile range be enough?

I would have gone to see the electric versions of both the Kona and the Ioniq at the dealership this afternoon, but after storm Dennis yesterday, I think it'll be a while before they're back open for business - poor sods :(
If you can wait until later this year a Volkswagen ID.3 may be something for you to consider.

#44 ·
Would 100% try the e-niro if you still deciding - it's nicer than the Kona interior in wifes estimation - enough we ordered ours after seeing both. Bigger boot, more headroom (I am tall) - the Kona I hit head on pillar/ceiling even with seat low - E-niro was fine in comparison. Also the colours (wife thing) she preferred on Kia. Drive is near identical as expected, just the Kia is noticably "larger" for driver /passenger at least.

#47 ·
When I test drove a Kona last week the salesman at Bradford Hyundai said he could get me one in a couple of weeks because he had bought 25 unallocated cars that are arriving on a ship.

I did not pursue the offer as I don't want to change until June.

If you are flexible about specification and in a hurry you could give them a ring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.