Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
There's only been one update so far, and that's to the Battery Management System (BMS) to enable scheduled charging from chargers that are powered up on a time switch (like putting a timer plug on the supplied "granny charger"). However this update has done nothing to fix the problem with "smart" chargers, which stay powered all the time. There is also a lot of pressure on MG to release updates to fix the excessive "bonging", lack of outside temperature display, lack of battery percentage and charging status reports, smartphone app, etc. So we're hoping (against hope, perhaps) that more updates are on the way this year.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
There's only been one update so far, and that's to the Battery Management System (BMS) to enable scheduled charging from chargers that are powered up on a time switch (like putting a timer plug on the supplied "granny charger"). However this update has done nothing to fix the problem with "smart" chargers, which stay powered all the time. There is also a lot of pressure on MG to release updates to fix the excessive "bonging", lack of outside temperature display, lack of battery percentage and charging status reports, smartphone app, etc. So we're hoping (against hope, perhaps) that more updates are on the way this year.
You sure there hasn't been 2 BMS updates? Initial one to address premature sleeping, and a subsequent one to address timed charging? Plus there is a rumoured update to reduce the bongage due soon. Plus a loom soft recall on the the electric window wiring on 1 door?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I too understood there had been 2 separate BMS updates. Not convinced that these aren't a factor in the spate or 12v battery issues being reported in the Facebook group in the past week. Not sure I'd be rushing to have updates applied just yet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You sure there hasn't been 2 BMS updates? Initial one to address premature sleeping, and a subsequent one to address timed charging? Plus there is a rumoured update to reduce the bongage due soon. Plus a loom soft recall on the the electric window wiring on 1 door?
Yes, that's what I thought?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's only been one - it was supposed to address timed charging by waking up from "sleep" when the CP signal from the EVSE (charger) came up. However with "smart" chargers, that doesn't happen (signal is present all the time) so the MG still won't schedule charge with these EVSEs unless the vendor themselves builds in a work-around (as Ohme have done). I spent a day at my dealer last week, where they re-applied the (only) update, to make sure it was definately updated, as I was able to demonstrate that the scheduled charge problem was still there. Happily I have an Ohme charger, so I'm successfully scheduled charging every night :).

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
Yes, that's what I thought?
Lucky for me my delivery is expected early April. Maybe I'll have a debonged, timed charging (that i won't need) perfect ZS lol

Reactions: Neilew and Paul M

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
me too, I'm told my car is arriving in a batch from China on or soon after the 2nd March. #teamredexclusive

Yup currently at sea was what I was told, plenty of time to kill off any Corona. #teamredexclusive #snap

May come around 6th April, or perhaps a week earlier. Either way i'm most likely to pick up after that date.... When I first placed my £500 reservation I said to family it would be great if it arrived in April as a birthday pressie to me, looks like I guessed it perfectly (although switching dealer, and pushing delivery did play a massive part in that lol)..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's only been one - it was supposed to address timed charging by waking up from "sleep" when the CP signal from the EVSE (charger) came up. However with "smart" chargers, that doesn't happen (signal is present all the time) so the MG still won't schedule charge with these EVSEs unless the vendor themselves builds in a work-around (as Ohme have done). I spent a day at my dealer last week, where they re-applied the (only) update, to make sure it was definately updated, as I was able to demonstrate that the scheduled charge problem was still there. Happily I have an Ohme charger, so I'm successfully scheduled charging every night :).
There is definitely 2 BMS updates. The second one is dated 20th January.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts