Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Toyota is stopping the production of EVs in December

http://gas2.org/2014...-electric-cars/

That ties up all the rumours of the last few months. Without Toyota, EVs will just be a niche car for the discerning few.

At least there was no mention of enhanced range hybrids. I suppose they will be the testbeds for the FCVs.

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Without Toyota, EVs will just be a niche car for the discerning few.
Personally I think it's more like "Without EVs, Toyota will just be a niche car for the nostalgic few"

Ever since the plugin Prius prototype was on the road it was obvious Toyota don't want to take plugs seriously. In the DIY sector people were fitting 10kwh of lithium to the Prius, and getting about 30-40 miles EV range, or 100+ blended miles at over 100mpg. Toyotas version? 4kwh, 11 miles of EV range and a premium of over £10,000. Since then we've only heard about fuel cells, the long term survival of the company was already written off in my mind.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I think with this Toyota are maybe going for the long range, haulage and transport industries head-on, and letting others do the leg work and early investment in EVs which they may or may not pick up on later when the market is established and the high start-up cost is gone.

Surely it kind of makes sense for the manufacturers to try and focus on certain markets, then share technology if and when it's appropriate?

Either way, this seems worse for Toyota than it does for EVs.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Toyota is stopping the production of EVs in December
Of course they are. Any purchase of a Toyota EV is one less purchase of a Toyota Prius where they would have made more money. Yes, that's an oversimplification, but that's it in a nutshell. Toyota have no motivation for EV given the Prius and their investments in hydrogen.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Of course they are. Any purchase of a Toyota EV is one less purchase of a Toyota Prius where they would have made more money. Yes, that's an oversimplification, but that's it in a nutshell. Toyota have no motivation for EV given the Prius and their investments in hydrogen.
Not sure that any major manufacturer has any EV motivation other than a token offering to bring their average CO2 rating down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts