Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im looking for some advice and experiences with the Andersen EV.

I can get a free BT Chargemaster home 7kw charger installed but I’ve also been looking at the nice Andersen EV 7kw chargers too. The Andersen is working out at £600 extra installed.

Looking for experience on the Andersen. Is it worth it? I’m looking for one that Going has to last.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd get the one for £600 less, its got a three year warranty on the whole installation. If you're really worried about it lasting maybe a Rolec where you can easily just replace parts of it when they go wrong. Not sure why you'd get a Zappi unless you needed its features. Are the Andersen units £600 better engineered, I doubt it, they'll still be susceptible to component failure like everyone else's products.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've just had an Andersen A2 installed - mainly chosen as it has a very neat cable storage solution and it does look nice / high end. The installer was excellent, good attention to detail and worked hard to conceal cables - generally took his time and did a neat job. The unit itself is pleasing to look at and doesn't shout "electric car" unlike most of the others on the market.

Is it worth £600 more than most others? Probably not, there's not much inside it and I suspect they use the same suppliers as most other manufacturers. But overall - am I glad I went for it? Yes, it feels solid and well engineered and the well thought through cable storage meant I was happy to pay the premium.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check with them the ETA. I've got one on order and the ETA has gone up due to part problems. I'm going to keep waiting for the Andersen A2 due to the neat cable storage solution but I'm probably going to end up putting a Commando plug in to keep me going until then.
Yes - leadtime on mine was a couple of months, I was happy to wait as the new car is taking many months more. Installer said they were having issues with parts supply (also noted in another thread or two on this forum) and that the wait wouldn't be getting much shorter any time soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

Thanks everybody for their comments. Things it appears havnt gotten much better for Andersen. Spoke with them today, 10-12 week wait and the icing on the cake..

We want all the money up front and we wont install for 3 months? Eh? What planet are they on?

Im happy to leave a deposit with them, £1-200 thats fair enough, but to ask for £1500+ for something that they can't supply now and i need to wait? come on.. They even want the installation costs up front too.

Looks like they are firmly off the list now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've just had an Andersen A2 installed - mainly chosen as it has a very neat cable storage solution and it does look nice / high end. The installer was excellent, good attention to detail and worked hard to conceal cables - generally took his time and did a neat job. The unit itself is pleasing to look at and doesn't shout "electric car" unlike most of the others on the market.
Could I ask about the ethernet/network cable connection - does it come out the back of the A2 unit? I'm trying to work out if they drill one hole into our external wall for both power and network, or two holes.
And then also trying to understand how I would internally route the network cable to our network wall point inside - i.e. is it one long network cable, can it terminated with its own port inside, do I connect/extend with a coupler, etc.

I love the design and the fact that the cable is neatly away out of sight.

How good is the app to remotely lock/unlock, log the charging sessions, etc.?
We rent out part of our driveway and frequently have interest from EV drivers who currently plug-in on our external 13A wall socket. I can extend the charging rentals to be exact based on usage, assuming the Andersen app can do the charge log accurately and robustly.

Thanks in advanced for any more info!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Could I ask about the ethernet/network cable connection - does it come out the back of the A2 unit? I'm trying to work out if they drill one hole into our external wall for both power and network, or two holes.
And then also trying to understand how I would internally route the network cable to our network wall point inside - i.e. is it one long network cable, can it terminated with its own port inside, do I connect/extend with a coupler, etc.

I love the design and the fact that the cable is neatly away out of sight.

How good is the app to remotely lock/unlock, log the charging sessions, etc.?
We rent out part of our driveway and frequently have interest from EV drivers who currently plug-in on our external 13A wall socket. I can extend the charging rentals to be exact based on usage, assuming the Andersen app can do the charge log accurately and robustly.

Thanks in advanced for any more info!
Yes the Ethernet cable comes out of the rear of the unit - in my installation it was a separate hole through the wall as the router happened to be right opposite where the unit sat on the outside wall. If the router wasn't adjacent the installer said he would have used a main service plug to route the signal through the house's internal wiring. He made up his own cable so the hole through the wall only needed to be big enough to fit the cable itself through.

The app seems fine, records charging sessions (time, total power etc) and looks like it retains the data for 50 days.

Installation was very professional and looks great...unfortunately the day before my car arrived the charger went on the blink and they are coming out next week to sort it! Customer service / response has been great so, provided its resolved quickly, I'd still have no problem recommending them.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
667 Posts
What extra features do the Zappi and Andersen provide? I assume it's not adding higher quality electrons to your battery.

·
Registered
338 Posts
What extra features do the Zappi and Andersen provide? I assume it's not adding higher quality electrons to your battery.
Integration with solar / other self-generated power (eco mode minimises grid input).

In the Andersen case - look nice.

Er...that's it, really.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
667 Posts
Thanks for the info. Given the price of domestic solar and battery, I can't see myself ever getting it. I might as well just get a modest charger.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So far, the Anderson is the only one I can find where the cable is hidden when not in use and the connector retracts inside the unit itself (and brushes clean the cable, or something).
That neatness is appealing.

Also, the flap where the type 2 connector is located can be remotely controlled to lock/unlock.
Charge sessions are also all logged with some features to track billing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So far, the Anderson is the only one I can find where the cable is hidden when not in use and the connector retracts inside the unit itself (and brushes clean the cable, or something).
That neatness is appealing.

Also, the flap where the type 2 connector is located can be remotely controlled to lock/unlock.
Charge sessions are also all logged with some features to track billing.
It doesn't work quite like that on my unit - the flap over the cable access doesn't physically lock, but the unit can be software locked (mobile phone app) so that a charge can't be initiated.

The cable storage is very tidy though - does look a lot nicer on the outside of the house.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It doesn't work quite like that on my unit - the flap over the cable access doesn't physically lock, but the unit can be software locked (mobile phone app) so that a charge can't be initiated.
Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: electricdriver

·
Registered
394 Posts
Andersen! sen! not son ;) yes it is my surname and the amount of times i have to explain it here in the uk :p ? ?
oops! I can't seem to see the edit button

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve had my Andersen A2 installed today. Looks amazing, but I can’t get it connected to the Kønnect app, installed said it would happen automatically later today, but that was 7 hours ago.

Any ideas? Are your experiences the same?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts