Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to travel to the hospital inAndover in ten days. This will put me right at the limit of my range to return home. Does anyone know of any charging possibilities in the town?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Why would you not use the Winchester rapids? If you are going from Steep then they are almost on the way :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the ones on the M3? The problem with those are that once on the M3 you can't get off again until almost Basingstoke. Makes it a very convoluted trip then.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
But from an EV trip perspective it makes it a very easy trip... just a bit longer. I find that sometimes it makes sense to do these kinds of diversions to make it work. For example... to get to oxford I once had to go to Southampton then north. On the map it makes no sense at all but it was the only way I could do it with the rapids that were available. Can do that trip a lot easier now that the M4 is properly propagated. :)

Other than that... there is a pub just north iof Whitchurch IIRC... can't remember the name of it. It has a 16A commando so you will need your adapter lead and the 10A EVSE.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take your point Paul. One has to think through an EV lens rather than Google maps.

My round trip will be a shade under 80 miles taking direct roads. In June this should be do-able in my Leaf, but it leaves very little margin for error. I could be coming back along the A272 on ULBW, something I generally try to avoid.

I think my best plan will be to drive there and see how much more than 50% of my battery is left. If it is less than 50% I will route home via the Winchester rapids.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
There was a plan for Hampshire County Council to install rapid chargers at Sutton Scotney services on the A34, They got the money for six last August, BUT have still not installed one. The latest promise from the Councillor involved was that late June should see the start of installation.
I regularly drive Havant to Andover but have a charge point at both ends, or use the rapid at Waterlooville .

What date is the hospital visit, I may be able to help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have also heard that they are meant to be installing a rapid in Petersfield. My understanding, however, is that they are going to be chargemaster, which will make them a last resort option as opposed to realistic range extenders!

I have to visit the hospital on Wednesday 4th June. I have to be there shortly after midday.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have it on good authority that charge points are to be installed at the Esso on Charlton Road by the end of July.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts