Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Torque Pro and a bluetooth obd2 adaptor, but TP didn't seem to measure anything correctly, not even speed.

I couldn't get the open vehicle monitoring app to do anything, it simply complained about the server.

If you have found an app that can do anything useful, please shout.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The defined PIDs are not there with an EV.

MG do not publish anything of any use on the connections available on the OBDII Port.

·
Registered
843 Posts
For the Kia Soul, Niro and Hyundai Kona and Ioniq there now exist sets of PIDS (see https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs) that seem to be mostly derived from reverse engineering the Soul CAN bus data, by some smart individuals a few years ago.

Its interesting to read the long blog about this exercise on the Soul, here.

A similar exercise for the MG ZS EV should also be possible...

·
Registered
276 Posts
For the Kia Soul, Niro and Hyundai Kona and Ioniq there now exist sets of PIDS (see https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs) that seem to be mostly derived from reverse engineering the Soul CAN bus data, by some smart individuals a few years ago.

Its interesting to read the long blog about this exercise on the Soul, here.

A similar exercise for the MG ZS EV should also be possible...
No, MG do not publish (transmit) anything of use on the OBDII Port.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Actually John, I wrote "CAN bus data", which for the MG ZS EV has had some preliminary investigation, as reported here. If you haven't seen it, it's worth a read...
Agree, but not on the bus data available on the OBDII Port, as you have discovered 😀

There are several projects at present going on to extract the data that is floating around the car. It is there, just a bit difficult to connect to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agree, but not on the bus data available on the OBDII Port, as you have discovered 😀

Hi All

OBDII on MG ZS EV is 100% operational, only thing is You need the right tool to use. I have used Launch Diag (2017 database) and X431PRO S3 (mid 2019 database) and was reading live data/sending control signals to body computer, brake system, HVAC, etc - was not able to talk to battery management unit as ZS EV was not existing at the stage of the software development (Launch or X431). Most likely updated version of software would do everything we want. If someone has got a can logger in between the line (understanding of CAN communication protocols as well), it is just a matter of sending right requests from Diag, read answers from ECUs and log it (so You can analyse ti later and make right config for OVMS).

·
Registered
843 Posts
arturyux wrote
"...was reading live data/sending control signals to body computer, brake system, HVAC, etc - was not able to talk to battery management unit as ZS EV was not existing at the stage of the software development (Launch or X431). Most likely updated version of software..."

Can you expand on your meaning - what do you mean by : "as ZS EV was not existing at the stage of software development (Launch or X431). Most likely updated version of software..."

Are you saying your test was done on a virtual car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
arturyux wrote
"...was reading live data/sending control signals to body computer, brake system, HVAC, etc - was not able to talk to battery management unit as ZS EV was not existing at the stage of the software development (Launch or X431). Most likely updated version of software..."

Can you expand on your meaning - what do you mean by : "as ZS EV was not existing at the stage of software development (Launch or X431). Most likely updated version of software..."

Are you saying your test was done on a virtual car?

No
I'm the owner of MG ZS EV Exclusive. I have OVMS and some diagnostic stuff as well. Years ago i used to drive old sporty cars and was messing around with piggybacks and ecu's. I'm not a pro but do have some understanding about car electronics and management units.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. Let me sort this out and give more details about it.

1.I have Launch car diagnostics system with full car database up till mid 2017.
2. I have X431Pro S3 diagnostic system with full car database up till mid 2019 (MG ZS EV was not for sale at that time so it is not included in the database)
3. I am a happy owner of MG ZS EV
4. MG ZS was introduced back in 2017
5. Most of ECUs in MG ZS EV are the same - new stuff: BMU and electric motor (transmission)
6. I have used my ZS and diagnostic tools i have to read data/do actuation tests this how i know HVAC, Body ECU, Safety ECU are the same or very similar to petrol version.
7. Newer version of the software might have or might not have BMU and electric transmission modules added.
8. Knowing right PIDs would help as to read required data from OBDII using devices like OVMS and possibly control some of the car functions (some software adaptation would be required).
9. Generic OBDII dongles/software don’t show required data (engine speed, vehicle speed or temperature) because generic PIDs don't match ZS EV PIDs. This does not mean the hardware or software can not do it or OBDII is not working.

·
Registered
276 Posts

1. Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. Let me sort this out and give more details about it.

1.I have Launch car diagnostics system with full car database up till mid 2017.
    2. I have X431Pro S3 diagnostic system with full car database up till mid 2019 (MG ZS EV was not for sale at that time so it is not included in the database)
    3. I am a happy owner of MG ZS EV
    4. MG ZS was introduced back in 2017
    5. Most of ECUs in MG ZS EV are the same - new stuff: BMU and electric motor (transmission)
    6. I have used my ZS and diagnostic tools i have to read data/do actuation tests this how i know HVAC, Body ECU, Safety ECU are the same or very similar to petrol version.
    7. Newer version of the software might have or might not have BMU and electric transmission modules added.
    8. Knowing right PIDs would help as to read required data from OBDII using devices like OVMS and possibly control some of the car functions (some software adaptation would be required).
    9. Generic OBDII dongles/software don’t show required data (engine speed, vehicle speed or temperature) because generic PIDs don't match ZS EV PIDs. This does not mean the hardware or software can not do it or OBDII is not working.
    All very interestomg stuff. But what part of "MG does not transmit any useful EV ralated data on the connections found on the OBDII Port" did you not understand?

·
Registered
9 Posts
All very interestomg stuff. But what part of "MG does not transmit any useful EV ralated data on the connections found on the OBDII Port" did you not understand?
You wrong, it is there but we don't know the right request command to retrieve it.

Ok, let me say something - Gateway is a device in between, allowing intercommunication -> You send the right request -You receive right question. You send wrong request - You have nothing to receive. Talking about Gateway: on one end You have standard OBDII, on the other end You have multiple CAN connections. It is like the router at Your home, routing the data and not allowing strangers to access Your local network, unless they allowed to using certain rules.

Regards reverse engineering: Snap-on did this using CAN data loggers and genuine dealer diagnostic tools. They purchased dealer tools to read and copy data (request/response, values and translations). This is how they started building/selling their own scan tools. It is easy when You have manufacturers technical documentation, if not - this is one of the ways.

So technically, having the tool talking to BMU + other EV specific devices and data logger we could found info we need.

Once we go over Covid-19 stuff, ill spend some of my money for diag software upgrade so can talk to BMU.

We have HVAC communicating through OBDII already, so we could possibly work on preheating via app.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You wrong, it is there but we don't know the right request command to retrieve it.

Ok, let me say something - Gateway is a device in between, allowing intercommunication -> You send the right request -You receive right question. You send wrong request - You have nothing to receive. Talking about Gateway: on one end You have standard OBDII, on the other end You have multiple CAN connections. It is like the router at Your home, routing the data and not allowing strangers to access Your local network, unless they allowed to using certain rules.

Regards reverse engineering: Snap-on did this using CAN data loggers and genuine dealer diagnostic tools. They purchased dealer tools to read and copy data (request/response, values and translations). This is how they started building/selling their own scan tools. It is easy when You have manufacturers technical documentation, if not - this is one of the ways.

So technically, having the tool talking to BMU + other EV specific devices and data logger we could found info we need.

Once we go over Covid-19 stuff, ill spend some of my money for diag software upgrade so can talk to BMU.

We have HVAC communicating through OBDII already, so we could possibly work on preheating via app.
I would be happy to assist with funding if you are determined this will work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a glitch in the software so i made it work with some workaround: HV battery SOH is Load/Charge in Amps, SOC of HV battery is battery charge in %. It just proves we can get data via OBD. How You gonna cal it on Your software it is up to You.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is very interesting indeed. I also have an OVMS unit, in the hope that it will one day expose useful info from my MG. In particular, reading state of charge so my Ohme charger can automatically determine best charging times overnight, and I can monitor public charging from the comfort of the coffee shop! The picture you show of your tablet screen appears to present more info than I've seen from any other project trying to reverse-engineer the CAN busses of the MG (see ruralelectricsystems,com etc). Are you able to share the PID tables or whatever other code you've used to get these numbers? I also have Torque Pro, if that's the method you're using... again, I'm happy to pay for the effort involved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is no ambient temperature as the sensor is not existent on this model of the car.
I’m waiting for Y OBD splitter to be able to do CAN logging while using diagnostics for reverse engineering purposes (to find required PIDs and data bits).
None of the freeware (or other cheep diag software) with cheep ELM OBD dongle will work as they only sending requests to generic ICE PIDs and this does not match with EV. I was using updated Launch X431 S3 PRO diagnostics.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the update - that's very disappointing re. the temperature sensor - I thought at least they'd have sensors around the battery, to assist the BMS in managing battery temperature. Is there no thermometer anywhere on the car that reads ambient temp??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts