Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have a 3 week old gte with app connect and active information display. It's the standard discover nav system so won't show standard map on the main screen and active info display at the same time. However, I'm trying to get the main screen to display navigation on Google maps (prefer Google as the traffic alerts are much more accurate), through android auto, with active info display showing the map from the vw system but won't work. I can get both displays showing maps at the same time, but as soon as I start navigation on Google (main screen), the active info display changes to a message saying something like "navigation showing on mobile device". My guess is that when I start Google navigation (rather than just map display) it switches to the car's GPS which confuses the vw map. I can't find a way to force Google to stick to my phone GPS to test it though.

Quite a specific requirement I know but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's a shame. I seem to be able to get both maps working though. It's only when I try to navigate using Google when it stops. E.g. I can navigate with vw navigation on active info display with Google map showing on the main screen.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This does sound strange. I wonder why the Google app is being treated differently to any other app that you could have on your main screen while you have VW navigation in the AID. Surely the phone is handling the Google app and the car is just being the screen? Or does the car's processor actually run the app and therefore tie up its own resources (GPS and perhaps other necessary resources)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to same with google maps and Android Auto with the active info display.
But with Waze it does work!
Try the following:
1. Start waze and calculate your route.
2. Start navigation on main screen vw and display it on your AID.
3. Switch back to Android Auto on the main screen.
The difference with Google maps is that the calculated route in waze is remembered and in Google maps not (shame!).
When you calculate a new route in either Waze or Google maps AID navigation stops (shame vw and/or Google.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts