Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning all I have tried and tried to connect my phone via the android auto to no avail I have gone through every
suggestion on the forum thus far and my front room looks like a store room for cables lol
is there a video guide with reference to setting up the android phone to the MG.
or could someone make a quick video to show me how to do it.
again thanks to all the contributor's that make this the forum to go to.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I to have tried and tried but my Honour 10Lite (AKA Huawei P Smart) will not connect. I've had all of the phone settings checked out by the guru at Carphone Warehouse and he said everything is fine. My wife's Galaxy A7 connected fine but my phone says there is no cars listed to connect to.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is all very odd. I have used a few different phones and connected to 4 different cars over the years and never had an issue connected to Android Auto. Here is my experience so feel free to jump in when it reaches a point where your experiences differ from mine.

1. Install Android Auto on phone - my only experience is with Samsung phones but the experience should be no different on other devices.
2. worth launching it without plugging into the car. This will allow you to play with the settings. All that is installed on the car itself is a mirroring service, all the heavy lifting is carried out by the phone.
3. lots of T&C have to be accepted. I think without agreeing to everything, and turning all the bits on that it wants turning on, AA will not work at all.
4. Use the cable that came with the device. Some cheap USBs are OK for charging but not a lot else.
5. in the MG I am using the right hand USB socket
6. Turn the car on and then plug the phone in
7. one of the vagaries I have noticed with the MG is that I sometimes have to unplug the phone and plug it back in before it is recognised. However, this is by no means limited to the MG, I had it in VWs as well.

Other things to check are the phone's software itself. The lack of connectivity between Huawei phones and cars via AA is well documented but was fixed when Android 8.0 was released. Make sure the phone is updated to the latest software, delete the AA app and re-install it.

Paul, what phone are you using?

·
Registered
Leaf 40 69
19 Posts
Have you tried both usb sockets?. I vaguely remember reading that the one labelled that you'd think you use isn't the one you need.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine works fine. I use this cable, it might not fit all phones, but it works great on my Huawei P20 Pro - I didn't like the straight cables, as the flex was too bent for my liking, and thought that this was a nicer solution than the 90 degree cables you can get.
I had to enable 'USB Debugging' in the 'Developer options' before mine would connect, but since enabling that option, it works every time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had to enable 'USB Debugging' in the 'Developer options' before mine would connect, but since enabling that option, it works every time.
Yes this is an important setting my Xaomi phone needed this on to link correctly

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's the quality of the usb lead. Mine would not connect, grabbed one from work which we use for our engineers diagnostic equipment and works perfectly no need to turn on usb debugging. My phone is a Honor 20 lite.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I
This is all very odd. I have used a few different phones and connected to 4 different cars over the years and never had an issue connected to Android Auto. Here is my experience so feel free to jump in when it reaches a point where your experiences differ from mine.

1. Install Android Auto on phone - my only experience is with Samsung phones but the experience should be no different on other devices.
2. worth launching it without plugging into the car. This will allow you to play with the settings. All that is installed on the car itself is a mirroring service, all the heavy lifting is carried out by the phone.
3. lots of T&C have to be accepted. I think without agreeing to everything, and turning all the bits on that it wants turning on, AA will not work at all.
4. Use the cable that came with the device. Some cheap USBs are OK for charging but not a lot else.
7. one of the vagaries I have noticed with the MG is that I sometimes have to unplug the phone and plug it back in before it is recognised. However, this is by no means limited to the MG, I had it in VWs as well.

Other things to check are the phone's software itself. The lack of connectivity between Huawei phones and cars via AA is well documented but was fixed when Android 8.0 was released. Make sure the phone is updated to the latest software, delete the AA app and re-install it.

I'm sure I've tried all thous things but perhaps not in that order. I've Android 9 and have used the USB on the right which worked on my wife's Samsung phone but not my Honor/Huawei. I've put my phone into Developer mode but that made no difference but I'll try steps 1 to 6 in the morning and see how it goes. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes I have tried both. I found only one worked with my wife's Samsung and used same USB and cable but my Honor 10Lite couldn't see the car.
The only usb port that works for Android Auto is the one nearest the driver. One thing to look out for when connecting your Honor 10 does it give you 3 options (Charge only,transfer files and i think the third is transfer photos) Make sure it is set to transfer files as otherwise all it will do is charge the phone and Android Auto will be grayed out.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
224 Posts
Boatgeek, Thanks I have successfully connected Android Auto after following your suggested steps (y)

It seems that the further simplification enabling reconnection was to disable prompting for USB connection type ie. Charge only, File Transfer and Photos. Disabling this feature means that when reattempting a connection to AA there are not multiple requests to choose Transfer Files and connection to the car is relatively straight forward.

Incidentally, having made the connection once it seems that Developer Mode can be turned off and it makes no difference.

Thanks again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the advice I am ordering another cable (as shown earlier in this chat ) and will try again :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Picked up my MG on Monday. Generally very happy now I've moderated the bonging. My first all electric although I've had 2 plug-in hybrids( outlander and BMW 225) so used to driving electric. Thought I'd try out the Android auto today but no luck with my huawei p10 lite. It's running android 8. Tried several cables on both ports. After reading this, I started android auto on my phone first but no sign of any recognition on the car. Tried touching the android auto icon, but nothing. As I understand it, it should spring into life when it recognizes the phone. Bluetooth was connected throughout.
Seems these huawei (and honour) phones are a problem which is surprising as they are both Chinese and the sort of person who risks buying a Chinese phone is probably more likely to buy a MG than someone who won't.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My wife and I also have Huawei phones. We have to turn on usb debugging in the developer settings.
I know people say that we shouldn't have to, but it doesn't work otherwise!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another thing to watch out for is running apps. My wife's old phone wouldn't work with AA but mine did perfect. Moto G5 G6. So gave her my G6 and bought my self a G7 power. My new G7 worked perfectly straight out the box. Now after resetting my old phone and installing all her stuff from Google backuo., AA wouldn't work on my old G6. So now we know the cables and phones work ii could only mean it was something she has on her phone. So closed all the running apps of which she has a lot, then it connects and works perfectly. Haven't worked out which app yet, but will I I get time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

sorry for the long delay in getting back to you we have been on holiday
I am using a Huawei 20 lite got a new cable to try so have reloaded AA and will try to get it to work fingers crossed ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Regardless of phone, or car, it is a temperamental piece of software. The other day it stopped working on me during a drive. I pulled over and did my usual tricks of resetting my phone and turning the car off and on again but to no avail. I arrived at my destination and left the car for an hour or so. Upon my return it worked perfectly. Unfortunately the issues with Huawei phones are well known and with Google boycotting support for them as part of Trump's long standing Huawei bashing exercise I don't see the situation improving any time soon. I would be interested to see a Huawei device running a custom OS to see if the same issues persist.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well after tinkering and pulling my hair out :) I forced stopped all the apps on the phone and plugged it in and it worked !!!!
so I think that one of the apps is causing the AA system to have a fit and not to link, just need to now find which app
so here goes ?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts