Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one looked into android auto or apple car play retro fit on there i3?

One of the companies I have come across

Install how to.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
729 Posts
Yes looked into it but decided it wasnt worth the money as I'm pretty happy with the iDrive as it is. Had Carplay on a number of VW/Audis and in truth havent really used it, partly because its been cabled rather than wireless on those. One of the VWs came with Carplay as standard but not sat-nav so I do use it on that one if i need route guidance and it is excellent but decided it's not worth hundreds of £s extra plus the hassle of install and re-install every software upgrade.

Annoying though that BMW wont or cant activate it on our 2020 i3, I checked and all the hardware is in place.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found from another seller on Amazon for what seems be much reduced price of £255 for the system.
Have some comeback.

There seems be different sellers selling the same hardware under different branding.

I have ordered it for wireless android auto.

Should have later in the week.

Maybe if all goes well mite put post of it on here.

Was once mechanic so see if I still have some those skills.

It can stay with the car when I go to sell it, my car not a lease .

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I now have the android auto/apple car play unit set up In car. Rather easy install.

I now have android auto working.

Can also cast from phone screen to car display.
Now able to watch YouTube vids while parked up charging on car display with sound via car speakers..

Very pleased.
Have made my car that more fresher.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Neat! I hope to fit mine soon as well.
Was the 2-3hrs they quote about right? I can take a break from work and do it on the drive.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neat! I hope to fit mine soon as well.
Was the 2-3hrs they quote about right? I can take a break from work and do it on the drive.
Yes. I ordered plastic tools also. Just to help with the trim.
Very pleased with it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
After reading through the comments, I see that it does not work for everyone, but would certainly be worth trying before removing all the trim and the glovebox...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading through the comments, I see that it does not work for everyone, but would certainly be worth trying before removing all the trim and the glovebox...
I tried this....
Did not work for me

If you have basic system maybe it will. I have upgraded HK system.

It's not a hard job, 2-3 hours.

Great results for not huge amount of money.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also have the HK system - the youtube link does have loads of people with Bimmertech kits and later NBT eve head units where this doesn't work, so I suppose I'll just take the panels off. :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have the HK system - the youtube link does have loads of people with Bimmertech kits and later NBT eve head units where this doesn't work, so I suppose I'll just take the panels off. :)
Where you going to buy from ?
How much have you seen it for ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll be interested in this. I have a 2019 i3s and the 'official' BMW connect store says its not available for my car via BMW (£265).
Most website retrofit upgrade are for MY up to 2016/17. Did find one after inputting my vin and said yes, it can be done.

Rather have a box of tricks than recoding since its obviously still within warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2019/2020 i3's can have factory carplay installed via coding, either by USB or via an enet cable, regardless of what the Connected drive portal says, as long as you have the idrive with the tile type menu it can be done.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2019/2020 i3's can have factory carplay installed via coding, either by USB or via an enet cable, regardless of what the Connected drive portal says, as long as you have the idrive with the tile type menu it can be done.
But not android.

I'm not moving apple just because car manufacturer wont

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please, are there any links for this. I have a 68reg i3S with the HK upgrade. When I press the menu button I do get a row of 6 tiles.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Please, are there any links for this. I have a 68reg i3S with the HK upgrade. When I press the menu button I do get a row of 6 tiles.
It shows up as Services that can be Booked in my ConnectedDrive - Apple CarPlay Preparation £265. Not for me as I am a confirmed Android user.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have been eyeing up some of these ebay listings:

BMW EVO Carplay fullscreen activation + VIM + Android Screen-mirroring via ENET | eBay - that's a enet cable one

BMW EVO Carplay fullscreen activation + VIM + Android Screen-mirroring via USB | eBay - that's a USB one

If you check out the instructions in the (horrendously laid out) description perhaps you will figure out if these would work for you. It describes checking your idrive version etc.

If your car doesn't have carplay preparation I think you need a wifi antenna or something fitted and there are other ebay listings for this as well. This could be a starting point and you have a look around.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
729 Posts
I have been eyeing up some of these ebay listings:

BMW EVO Carplay fullscreen activation + VIM + Android Screen-mirroring via ENET | eBay - that's a enet cable one

BMW EVO Carplay fullscreen activation + VIM + Android Screen-mirroring via USB | eBay - that's a USB one

If you check out the instructions in the (horrendously laid out) description perhaps you will figure out if these would work for you. It describes checking your idrive version etc.

If your car doesn't have carplay preparation I think you need a wifi antenna or something fitted and there are other ebay listings for this as well. This could be a starting point and you have a look around.
If you pull up the rear seat you will be able to see if the wifi antenna is already installed. Most cars have them even tho the wifi option or car play option hasnt been purchased.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts