Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my Sept 2018 i3s 94ah rex a couple of months ago and am loving it. I am however keen to investigate adding Android Auto.

I have Harman Kardon sound and the system is running NBTevo_N1809217. I use a Pixel 2xl.

Has anyone added Android Auto to a similar set up?

Am I right in thinking that this could possibly be added using USB rather than an MMI box? This is what some ads on eBay appear to suggest.

Also if I am reading this right, it indicates that I will also require a WiFi aerial. How do if I know if I have one if these? Is it connected to the unit under the rear seat?

What is the potential for me bricking my car? Could it impact on my warranty?

I would welcome any experiences or useful comments. Thank you.

Edited: I think I have realised that this USB upgrade option is likely only possible to add Carplay as that is an oem option and not Android Auto. The eBay does say that adds Android mirroring but I'm not sure if that is a viable option to Android Auto?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hi Adrian,

Thanks. I did read your threads which were very useful, but I'm not certain with version that is an option. Does anyone know?

This is what I got

There is resellers who sell this for huge markup. They basically put it in swanky box

Did I link the videos I used at the time ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This is what I got

There is resellers who sell this for huge markup. They basically put it in swanky box

Did I link the videos I used at the time ?

Yeah, I think you did. As you can see in the ad you have linked to it is only up to 2017.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I bought my Sept 2018 i3s 94ah rex a couple of months ago and am loving it. I am however keen to investigate adding Android Auto.

I have Harman Kardon sound and the system is running NBTevo_N1809217. I use a Pixel 2xl.

Has anyone added Android Auto to a similar set up?

Am I right in thinking that this could possibly be added using USB rather than an MMI box? This is what some ads on eBay appear to suggest.

Also if I am reading this right, it indicates that I will also require a WiFi aerial. How do if I know if I have one if these? Is it connected to the unit under the rear seat?

What is the potential for me bricking my car? Could it impact on my warranty?

I would welcome any experiences or useful comments. Thank you.

Edited: I think I have realised that this USB upgrade option is likely only possible to add Carplay as that is an oem option and not Android Auto. The eBay does say that adds Android mirroring but I'm not sure if that is a viable option to Android Auto?
Now I take it all back.
As our car(2018) does not have Aux port this maybe not be as simple as I hoped.

You can get usb to aux adaptor, dont think it's that simple BMW tech aftermarket website have a box that looks be well marked up in price but I was onto there online sales and they said the box they have is compatible but requires a remote tech session to get it working.

My car has wireless apple car play previous owner must of paid for the upgrade. Could I just buy old iPhone 6 hmmm

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Now I take it all back.
As our car(2018) does not have Aux port this maybe not be as simple as I hoped.

You can get usb to aux adaptor, dont think it's that simple BMW tech aftermarket website have a box that looks be well marked up in price but I was onto there online sales and they said the box they have is compatible but requires a remote tech session to get it working.

My car has wireless apple car play previous owner must of paid for the upgrade. Could I just buy old iPhone 6 keep it in the car hmmm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts