Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my Kona electric since March 2019 and have only now got around to trying to get Android Auto working. My Pixel 3a is running Android 11 and Android Auto ver 5.7.603954. Kona SD card was updated Jan 2020. When trying to connect (using cable) car system reports 'Reading USB device' and then 'Unable to communicate with phone'. Anybody else had this and knows how to resolve? Thanks

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Have had my Kona electric since March 2019 and have only now got around to trying to get Android Auto working. My Pixel 3a is running Android 11 and Android Auto ver 5.7.603954. Kona SD card was updated Jan 2020. When trying to connect (using cable) car system reports 'Reading USB device' and then 'Unable to communicate with phone'. Anybody else had this and knows how to resolve? Thanks
Have you tried using a different USB cable? Preferably one that you have used successfully for data. Or try the cable you have between phone and computer, can you transfer files? It may also be worth checking you can play music off a USB memory stick, that way you know it isn't the car's USB that is broken.

Have you run Android Auto on your phone? I think it has some setup to complete the first time you run it.

Go into the Android Auto settings on your phone and try telling it explicitly to connect with the 'Connect A Car' button. I don't think it should need this but it might help. Also check if your car is in the 'previously connected cars' list and not in the 'rejected cars' list. There's an option under 'connected cars' for 'add new cars to Android Auto', so if that option is off it won't automatically connect to a new car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also. Unfortunately Android 11 has BIG issues with Android Auto. I've seen lots of articles about AA related bugs in Android 11.

But for sure try to get the setup right in the first place as described above.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posts. I'm sure cable is ok as have used it many times for data transfer and it has the requisite USB logo. Phone connects via Bluetooth no problem. When I plug in the car system says it's reading the USB and then says phone not responding. If I select the USB function option 'File transfer/Android Auto' the system tries again but the phone auto-reverts to 'No transfer' and the phone not responding message appears again on the car display. Have even tried setting the file transfer option in Developer mode but same result.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I have the latest updates to Android Auto installed and following a suggestion on a community have cleared the Android Auto cache and Google Play Services cache. Each time I try I start the app before connecting the USB. Next step (apparently) seems to be to factory reset the car infotainment system - but first I'm going to see if I can get some more direct advice via my son's partner who works for Google. BTW Duncan - absolutely with you on the EU thing.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
I have exactly the same problem, in my case I believe it is my phone, this is because I borrowed my wife's phone and it connected perfectly. Can I suggest you try a different phone with the same cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ian, unfortunately my wife's phone is identical (bought at same time) and has had same updates so unlikely to make any difference. Will have to keep searching for things to try I guess.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I tried Android Auto for a while but wasn't that impressed with it. I find the built in Sat-Nav is more than adequate, but that's just my opinion. I suppose you have to get it working and try it to see if it's for you. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got around to doing the sensible thing and asking my tame IT guru (younger son). He sorted it inside two minutes. Answer was that although the car system was reporting 'phone not responding' this was because it was waiting for me to go through the AA setup routine on the phone - I hadn't noticed. Works great now. Agreed that as far as satnav is concerned the car system is very good, however to me the ability to enter destinations, select radio channels and make phone calls by voice alone through the phone is a plus.

IanMurray, Gadget Geek - has your Kona radar ever temporarily reported 'blocked' and disengaged the smart cruise in very wet and windy weather (on a motorway)? Happened just once to me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
IanMurray, Gadget Geek - has your Kona radar ever temporarily reported 'blocked' and disengaged the smart cruise in very wet and windy weather (on a motorway)? Happened just once to me.
Yes, has happened to me once or twice. Bit of a panic when it first happened, but I re-engaged it and everything was fine.
P.S. I use the voice button on the steering wheel and control the infotainment system. :)

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
77 Posts
No, hasn't happened to me yet, but I haven't used it in really bad weather yet, my normal commute is along country lanes or minor A roads.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Electric 2020
6 Posts
Are there any new Hyundai updates that allow Android Auto to use more than 2/3 of the screen? Apple Carplay can use all panels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts