Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having a problem getting Android Auto to start up automatically in the infotainment system once you've plugged your phone in? When I plug my phone in, the phone reports that AA is connected to the car, but the tile on the infotainment screen still says App Connect. I have to press that and then the AA tile and toggle the WiFi hotspot on and off before AA finally appears. The App Connect tile is then changed to say AA. I must be missing something as I'm sure it should just connect and work, (like it did in my old Zoe). Cheers

·
Registered
492 Posts
Have you tried it wirelessly? Although it sometimes fails to connect altogether for me, it does at least try to connect every time I get in the car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried it wirelessly? Although it sometimes fails to connect altogether for me, it does at least try to connect every time I get in the car.
Usually, by the time I'm plugging in the USB cable the phone is already telling me that AA is connected to the car. So I guess that's happening wirelessly over Bluetooth. It's getting AA to appear on the infotainment screen and on the App Connect tile that seems to be the challenge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same issue (OnePlus Nord), I've found the quickest way to get it to connect is plug in the USB, then switch off Bluetooth on the phone.

Then it'll come up on the infotainment display and Bluetooth switches itself back on.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts
Mine has stopped working, or stopped and I can't be bothered to play around with it to get it working.
When it did work I didn't get the AA button on the screen so couldn't switch between AA and the VW system.

My phone doesn't support wireless AA so was only working with a cable but doesn't come up at all when I plugged in the last few times. Haven't bothered trying for weeks as I'm only driving known routes and don't mind the VW Nav when I do want directions or traffic info

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine has stopped working, or stopped and I can't be bothered to play around with it to get it working.
When it did work I didn't get the AA button on the screen so couldn't switch between AA and the VW system.

My phone doesn't support wireless AA so was only working with a cable but doesn't come up at all when I plugged in the last few times. Haven't bothered trying for weeks as I'm only driving known routes and don't mind the VW Nav when I do want directions or traffic info
Ah right. My phone isn't wireless either. It always fires up AA on the phone when I get into the car and plug in the USB, but it doesn't appear on the infotainment screen. I have to tap App Connect, then AA, then tap my phone (which also turns on the hotspot option), and then AA (almost always) appears on the infotainment screen. But I shouldn't need to do that. It should just fire up once the phone is plugged in. I can't help thinking I'm missing something obvious, or maybe it's fixed in 2.1. Cheers.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts
Ah right. My phone isn't wireless either. It always fires up AA on the phone when I get into the car and plug in the USB, but it doesn't appear on the infotainment screen. I have to tap App Connect, then AA, then tap my phone (which also turns on the hotspot option), and then AA (almost always) appears on the infotainment screen. But I shouldn't need to do that. It should just fire up once the phone is plugged in. I can't help thinking I'm missing something obvious, or maybe it's fixed in 2.1. Cheers.
I don't think I get the option to select my phone once I'm in AA. Haven't looked for a while but I think it wants the hotspot turned on but when I do my phone won't connect properly to the hotspot, I can't remember the message I get. I'm just waiting for 2.1 to fix it, or 2.1.1 or 5 or whenever they iron things out. Hopefully it will be easier once OTH is activated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think I get the option to select my phone once I'm in AA. Haven't looked for a while but I think it wants the hotspot turned on but when I do my phone won't connect properly to the hotspot, I can't remember the message I get. I'm just waiting for 2.1 to fix it, or 2.1.1 or 5 or whenever they iron things out. Hopefully it will be easier once OTH is activated.
Yes, fingers crossed. I'm getting 2.1 on 11/3.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I cant get to the online manual as my VIN number isnt recognised. Any hints and tips please
The manual won't help much unfortunately. There's no troubleshooting section for AA in there. You can use any car reg to get into the manual if you need to. Many use the VW press car L3 VWW, which is a 1st Edition. Or you can grab a reg from a post on Facebook etc (plenty of people don't obfuscate them).

Not much help to those having issues right now, but AA is a lot better in my car since 2.1. It has connected to my phone every time I've driven since I got the update. Hopefully that will be consistent for others.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The manual won't help much unfortunately. There's no troubleshooting section for AA in there. You can use any car reg to get into the manual if you need to. Many use the VW press car L3 VWW, which is a 1st Edition. Or you can grab a reg from a post on Facebook etc (plenty of people don't obfuscate them).

Not much help to those having issues right now, but AA is a lot better in my car since 2.1. It has connected to my phone every time I've driven since I got the update. Hopefully that will be consistent for others.
That's encouraging to hear. My 2.1 update requires a new control unit apparently (like lots of others it seems) so it will be a few more days before I get the car back and can try AA with 2.1. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi,

I cant get Android Auto to work from either a LG or Huawei device via bluetooth. It does work if I connect via a USB cable . The LG also fires up Android Auto on the devive but it is not available on the car screen. I've tried re pairing etc.

Any ideas of anything I could try ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I cant get Android Auto to work from either a LG or Huawei device via bluetooth. It does work if I connect via a USB cable
Which Android version are the phones on? AA will only work wirelessly on Android 11 or a select few Google & Samsung phones with Android 10.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Which Android version are the phones on? AA will only work wirelessly on Android 11 or a select few Google & Samsung phones with Android 10.
Android 9. Yep it looks like "wireless projection" is limited :

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts