·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..on black Zoe.

Followed the guide here:
Enabling Android Auto on Rlink1

and also here:
Renault ZOE: Android Auto und Mirrorlink freischalten – Elektroauto Wiki | GoingElectric.de

and here:
Android Auto / Mirrorlink im R-Link "freischalten" .. - Cliowelt.de Forum

..from @yoh-there ’s post here:
Android Auto – also on the oldest of ZOEs

I didn’t hack up an OBD2 extension cable though. I just got four wires and crimped appropriate terminals at the ends. Pics attached.

(Android Auto is somewhat sluggish).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hacking made easy (y)

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven’t tried yet, but I wil.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Android Auto on black Zoe (2015 Dyn Intens). My thoughts:

Sluggish isn’t even the word. It’s slow as hell. Don’t think this is related to the touch screen being resistive, more that the processing power is just not up to the task. That said, I only have two android phones to test with and both are not exactly top spec. One is an original gen 1 Moto G and another is a Moto G4 Play. Both produce the same results. I will try to access a better Android phone to test with.

1. Main issue: Android Auto is slow to respond.
  2. “Ok Google” works about 6 out of 10 times.
  3. Pressing the microphone icon and speaking a command also works successfully about 6 out of 10 times.
  4. Google Maps generally works as expected but can be sluggish. Again, this could be due to the poor spec android phones that I’m using and could also be due to the R-Link unit’s resistive touch screen.
  5. My main phone is an iPhone. I have this connected to the car via Bluetooth. However, with the Android phone connected to the car via USB for Android Auto, the car will only remain connected to the iPhone for music over Bluetooth only and not for phone calls. This is the case even with Bluetooth turned off on the Android phone. The result is that, if I’m using Android Auto, I can’t also use my iPhone for hands free calls through the car. Weird.
  6. Not unique to the Zoe, but a bugbear I have with Android Auto is that you can only seem to play Google Play Music, not Apple Music (even though there is an Apple Music app for Android). This is equally annoying as Apple CarPlay only allowing navigation via Apple Maps with no option for Google Maps. Both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have similar limitations. I’d like to be able to choose my navigation and music apps, regardless of phone platform.

Little two minute video here:

·
9,719 Posts
My main phone is an iPhone. I have this connected to the car via Bluetooth. However, with the Android phone connected to the car via USB for Android Auto
Does SPVR work properly with iPhone? I might be tempted to enable that if its any good.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does SPVR work properly with iPhone? I might be tempted to enable that if its any good.
What is that, actually? I enabled it during the enabling of android auto, but I don’t really know what it is.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
[*]Not unique to the Zoe, but a bugbear I have with Android Auto is that you can only seem to play Google Play Music, not Apple Music (even though there is an Apple Music app for Android). This is equally annoying as Apple CarPlay only allowing navigation via Apple Maps with no option for Google Maps. Both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have similar limitations. I’d like to be able to choose my navigation and music apps, regardless of phone platform.
I think you would have to blame Apple if their app isn't compatible with Android Auto: checking the app store for Android Auto shows both Spotify and Amazon Music are compatible so it's not as though Google were disallowing other music apps.

Apple CarPlay does work with Google Play Music so it isn't even as though the two companies are shunning one another, I would suspect it's more of an Apple marketing decision than anything else.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
9,719 Posts
What is that, actually? I enabled it during the enabling of android auto, but I don’t really know what it is.
Long Press voice control button to trigger phone voice. Smart Phone Voice Recognition - SPVR.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Spotify, Deezer, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeartRadio all work with AA, it's not Google's fault if Apple don't make an AA compatible app. Google Maps works with CarPlay, my wife uses it daily in her Kadjar.

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Google Maps works with CarPlay, my wife uses it daily in her Kadjar.
Really? Is it vehicle specific then? I’ve driven Volkswagens, Skodas and a Kia recently. Google Maps not available over CarPlay at all and I’ve read it’s not possible without jailbreak.

·
9,719 Posts
Really? Is it vehicle specific then? I’ve driven Volkswagens, Skodas and a Kia recently. Google Maps not available over CarPlay at all and I’ve read it’s not possible without jailbreak.
Your correct voice only without jailbreak

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you would have to blame Apple if their app isn't compatible with Android Auto: checking the app store for Android Auto shows both Spotify and Amazon Music are compatible so it's not as though Google were disallowing other music apps.

Apple CarPlay does work with Google Play Music so it isn't even as though the two companies are shunning one another, I would suspect it's more of an Apple marketing decision than anything else.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
It doesn’t really matter who is to blame. As an end user I’m just frustrated that I can’t use Apple music through android auto neither can I use Google Maps through Apple CarPlay. Although the previous poster said the latter was possible, but the Internet says it isn’t (at least, not without jailbreaking).

·
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Long Press voice control button to trigger phone voice. Smart Phone Voice Recognition - SPVR.
Doesn’t work. Long press results in the same as short press. This even though the icon for voice control appears to be present. Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Your correct voice only without jailbreak
Nope. Just checked with her again, phone has to be connected by USB then press Google Maps icon and it works. My sister has confirmed the same in her Citroen DS3. No jailbreak on either iPhone.

Edit: I apologise, I just got her to show me and it appears they think Apple Maps and Google Maps are the same thing. Bloody women :mad:

1 - 20 of 242 Posts