Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Just got my 2020 E-Niro 4 last week. Have been trying to get Android Auto to work wirelessly with it but no luck so far. Am wondering if this is even possible? It works fine with a USB, but when disconnected Android Auto switches off.

Has anyone got this working? Apparently the car needs WiFi for Auto to work, so it could simply because of that.

Cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
It won't work wirelessly unless you have a dongle. I think there is a kickstarter for one, there are a few Apple carplay dongles available though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I supported that AAWireless project and will report if it works, when I get one. I am due one in December from hopefully the first wave
The thing that concerns me about it is the e-Niro's AA USB port is always providing power even when the "ignition" is off. Having the AAWireless device plugged into it all the time will drain the 12V battery, unless it has some kind of intelligent sleep mode.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
865 Posts
I think it powers off after a short while.
Peter

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Just got my 2020 E-Niro 4 last week. Have been trying to get Android Auto to work wirelessly with it but no luck so far. Am wondering if this is even possible?
There are currently NO cars in Europe with AA wireless. So far the only units available are after market. There was talk of Ford offering but it may be USA first.

It requires the car infotainment to have WIFI capability which many (like my Zoe) do not have. On those that do (for hotspot) my understanding is that manufacturers are nervous of security implications of allowing an Android phone to connect to the car. WiFi obviously does not need physical access to the vehicle, so greater security risk.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Do you mean the device? Because the USB port definitely doesn't turn off after a while.
After reading these posts, I just went out to check. I don’t like saying contradictory stuff unless I’m pretty certain.
On my UK spec E-Niro 2020, The central USB port 5V does power off but only under certain conditions. It seems to follow some complex algorithm as to exactly when it does it. At first glance it appears to stay on, but it doesn’t. Lock up the car and walk away, come back in 10 minutes and it’s gone off (but will come on again if you unlock the door!). Things that seem to interact to affect whether it stays on or not, are fob present or not, time since turning car off, time since opening/closing drivers door, maybe even be affected by the amount of current being pulled from it. When it’s off, even just jabbing the brake pedal brings it on again.

When I first went out to the car, I tried the USB before pressing the power button. It was powered on then. However, it went off after 3 minutes (a couple of seconds after the gear shift knob lights went off).

The more I looked at the behaviour of the USB power, the less I understood it. So after a couple of hours I gave up. I thought I had it sussed, but then after going for a drive for maybe 30 minutes and trying it again, I couldn’t make it go off at all, except after locking up and walking away with the fob. Then came back 10 minutes later, and looked through the window, it had gone off.

I was observing the power on status with a backlit LCD USB in line power tester. Also, some of the time I applied a load pulling 1.25A (an iPad being charged). It seemed that immediately after driving some, then turning car off, it will continue being active for as long as you are inside the car. But once you get out (and maybe lock the door) it will turn off after a few minutes.

Like much stuff on this car, it’s not as simple as you might expect.
Anyway, suffice to say you would not need to worry about leaving an AA dongle in (or anything else) and it flattening the battery, AFAIK.

Peter

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wow, you really need a life!

Seriously, great amount of effort. I will put something in the slot that draws power and indicates it visible from outside.

I see why several of us think it's always on, since it came back on when you entered the car, actually kind of a nice idea, but needs documentation. Perhaps it was beyond the capacity to translate the algorithm from Korean to English, or perhaps the person trying to figure it out went insane and is in a mental hospital! :p

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wow, you really need a life!

Seriously, great amount of effort. I will put something in the slot that draws power and indicates it visible from outside.

I see why several of us think it's always on, since it came back on when you entered the car, actually kind of a nice idea, but needs documentation. Perhaps it was beyond the capacity to translate the algorithm from Korean to English, or perhaps the person trying to figure it out went insane and is in a mental hospital! :p
Yup I can see how many would think it’s always on, I thought it was until I saw it go off when I was playing with a CarPlay dongle a while back.

We are under lockdown here so anything to try to keep the brain cells alive! We can’t visit others etc.

Peter

·
Registered
616 Posts
I left my phone plugged in for 2 days and when I went back to the car it was on 100%. It would've dropped about 10% per day sitting there doing nothing. Was the iPad you tested fully charged? How do you know it isn't turning off because the iPad reaches full charge and no longer draws current?

I suppose the only way to really know would be to use a device with a large battery and plug it in at near 0% charge with the car off. Something like a portable power bank. Even better, point a camera at the LED indicator of the device and record it for 24 hours! My car is currently parked about 100m from my house so I can't do a test like this at the moment but if you feel like trying... ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
@DragonQ Well frankly I’ve had my fill of trying to completely figure out just how the logic of the USB power works. I played with it for hours last night. It is complex, and as I said seems to be affected by various variables. iPad was pulling current continuously as I had set it for always on with 100% brightness (The ipad current draw never drops in that state). I dare guess that it also powers up during the daily 20 minute aux battery top up period. So maybe that kept your phone topped off during the 2 day test? It might even be that it takes into account the aux battery present SOC and only allows continuous USB if AUX SOC is above a specific value?? Who knows?

I don’t have all the answers on this (and probably never will). However, one thing is crystal clear, it is definitely not permanently powered on 24/7. It has some kind of complex smart algorithm controlling it, whilst the car is powered off. Presumably intended to compromise between giving the user nearly what he wants but also not risking long term excessive discharge of the aux battery.

Peter

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
...apart from my VW ;)
That's good to know and I stand corrected. Clearly Google haven't updated their site to show available. Be good to know if others offer. BMW have only recently added AA and a friend said he understood some could do wireless - I assumed he was confused with CarPlay but perhaps he is right?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
That's good to know and I stand corrected. Clearly Google haven't updated their site to show available.
It's barely mentioned in the instruction manual, this was the only reference I could find, in the typical vague VW fashion:

(there's also some instructions on how to set it up, but I've not included them in the screenshot).

So far, my experience of it is that it is unreliable - keeps disconnecting and interrupting my audio books. The disconnecting seems random, apart from it usually happens on a twisty road where I can't really fix it without pulling over. Don't know if it is the phone or the car at fault, but AA with a cable works flawlessly so I just stick with that and ignore wireless. Phone doesn't support wireless charging anyway, so it's not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yup. I’ve virtually given up trying to use my Apple CarPlay wireless dongle for similar reasons. It takes ages to initially connect (up to a minute!). That in itself wouldn’t be too bad but then I find it randomly occasionally disconnects. Then you lose your Google Map route, music stops and have to pull over and reset everything. No good when you’re relying on it to get you somewhere you are unfamiliar with.

I’m not that impressed with the whole CarPlay Concept anyway. It seemed like a neat idea at first, but I found that frankly when I want to use google maps I’d rather just use a phone mount and view it on the phone screen directly (as I did prior to getting this car). That way always works and the car screens can display all the other usual stuff. Audio route directions still come via Bluetooth to car speakers (providing I’m not playing USB drive music, that’s a bit annoying, it should override it). My car mp3 Music sounds best when played from a USB flash drive stick.

I also find the Kia wireless charging 'cave' to be less than ideal. On long journeys it just gets way too hot in there. It slowly bakes the phone, especially if the phone is on and very busy with maps etc. The charging coil underneath the shelf runs hot in itself. The phone also generates it's own heat when it’s working hard, add to that the tiny enclosed and poorly ventilated space and the heat is just too much IMO. So that’s another feature I probably won’t use very often. My phone even shut itself down due to over temperature on a couple of occasions. All this will surely be worse in hot summer weather too. It’s not good for the phone battery to keep it so hot for so long IMO.

Peter

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
279 Posts
"I also find the Kia wireless charging 'cave' to be less than ideal. On long journeys it just gets way too hot in there "

@prawlin - me too. The phone was baking when I took it out of there. It needs a fan to move some of the heat away. Shody implementation I think. Waiting for a Brodit mounting clip to arrive when I shall remount my cooled wireless charge in a place I can see the phone (I use it for camera warnings)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts