Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was initially very excited by Android auto but actually it is a bit of a faff and I prefer the car navigation as it is integrated with the dash too. Music off usb is fine as well, don't want messages while I'm driving and Bluetooth handles the calls, so what's the benefit!?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I was initially very excited by Android auto but actually it is a bit of a faff and I prefer the car navigation as it is integrated with the dash too. Music off usb is fine as well, don't want messages while I'm driving and Bluetooth handles the calls, so what's the benefit!?
Literally the only reason I use it is for Audible. In the old car (without Android Auto), I had it playing through Bluetooth and used the phone screen for controls. With Android Auto, the controls are now on the car's screen, so I don't need a phone holder. It is a minor convenience.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The main USB port on my First Edition is not powered when the car is off. I tested it by leaving a smartphone connected to the USB port while I was remote controlling the smartphone. As soon as the car was turned off the port lost power.

Reactions: gem

·
Registered
616 Posts
The main benefit is that Google Maps is the gold standard for map and traffic information. On the flip side, if you're doing a longer journey, the built-in sat nav is much better for finding chargers.

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
279 Posts
So following up on this thread.
I received my AAWireless from indiegogo: AAWireless
First impressions are that it works flawlessly. The phone pairs quickly and by the time I have the engine "ready", belted up etc then I just have to press the Android Auto button on the car display and AA is working.
The only issue is the 2/3 screen - and that's not AAWireless's fault (and hopefully will be fixed later this year)

It does stay on all the time, connected to the data port - but this hasn't caused a problem yet - it doesn't exactly use a lot of power

Only done one journey though as yet

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
865 Posts
Are you certain the USB stays on? Some rudimentary tests I did some time ago indicated it only stays on for a few minutes after powering down and exiting the car. Is there an LED indicator on the adapter, can you leave the car locked then return after some time and view it through the window to see if it remains on perhaps? (without opening or unlocking the doors etc).

If it really does stay on indefinitely (I would be quite surprised) but if that is the case be careful of gradual 12V drain issues. Any additional quiescent drain on these cars is not good. Peter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I discovered yesterday that on my eNiro 2 (2021) Android auto DOES work wirelessly! At least with my Samsung S8. No additional dongle is required.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Note the lack of any usb cable in that photo. That is Google maps running on the screen.

I just needed to connect the phone by Bluetooth and it also offered to connect AA as well as hands free and audio. I think it only works on certain Samsung phones though. It did not work on my S7, but it does work on my new S8 which I bought used yesterday.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When my dealer updated the software, he told me that one of the features another client had told him about this version (not e-niro though) was the possibility of wireless Android Auto.

It didn't work for me on a Oneplus 7t, but it's true that now whenever I'm in the car, the phone automatically displays a notification about Android Auto, whereas before the update,
I needed to plug it.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
It did not work on my S7, but it does work on my new S8 which I bought used yesterday.
Which version of Android do you have on the S7? I think that Android Auto Wireless requires Android version 11 except for Google Pixel devices where it worked on Android 10.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It did not work on my S7 which was running Android 8.0.

It does work on my S8, which is Android 9.

I have read that AA wireless needs Android 11, but also works on certain Google and Samsung phones running older versions, which includes the S8.

Now that I can run AA wirelessly, the lack of a contactless charger pad on the 2 could become annoying. However, it does allow me to play music off a usb stick and use AA for sat nav at the same time. I still need to plug in the phone to one of the other charger ports to keep it charged though.

Still pretty impressive though for the entry level car and a sub £200 phone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It did not work on my S7 which was running Android 8.0.

It does work on my S8, which is Android 9.

I have read that AA wireless needs Android 11, but also works on certain Google and Samsung phones running older versions, which includes the S8.

Now that I can run AA wirelessly, the lack of a contactless charger pad on the 2 could become annoying. However, it does allow me to play music off a usb stick and use AA for sat nav at the same time. I still need to plug in the phone to one of the other charger ports to keep it charged though.

Still pretty impressive though for the entry level car and a sub £200 phone.
still I don't get it. How are you making it to work? It's using Bluetooth or Wifi? I had read that it's only possible with 5Ghz Wifi connections, but my car won't detect the 5Ghz hotspot of my phone, only the 2.4Ghz.

I think it might be working in your case because you have the smaller screen. Notice this link about the announcement of the Niro 2021 in US, Kia says they added wireless AA to the 8" displays, like yours, meanwhile most of us have the 10" one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe this only works on the 8 inch screen, but that would be rather weird of Kia to do that! If so, then that gives the cheapo '2' a unique selling point over the more expensive variants.

Firstly, install the Android Auto app on the phone.

Then, To pair my phone, I just made sure that both Bluetooth and WiFi are turned on in the phone. Do not have the phone in WiFi hotspot mode. Do not connect a USB cable. Then just click on Add Device in the car's phone projection settings page, and follow the usual Bluetooth pairing prompts on the phone. That's it. Simples!

It creates a Bluetooth connection, but also sets up a WiFi link which works alongside this. You do not need to worry about the WiFi connection and it's configuration, the car and phone sort that out automatically. The car becomes a WiFi hotspot to which the phone connects. This WiFi connection gives no internet access, so the phone still uses mobile data of course.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bit weird that they've added this for the 8" screens and not the 10.5" screens. Definitely not an option on my e-Niro 4 trim and S10e (Android 11, Wireless Android Auto enabled in settings).

·
Registered
589 Posts
Does your '2' come with UVO app?
Maybe this only works on the 8 inch screen, but that would be rather weird of Kia to do that! If so, then that gives the cheapo '2' a unique selling point over the more expensive variants.

Firstly, install the Android Auto app on the phone.

Then, To pair my phone, I just made sure that both Bluetooth and WiFi are turned on in the phone. Do not have the phone in WiFi hotspot mode. Do not connect a USB cable. Then just click on Add Device in the car's phone projection settings page, and follow the usual Bluetooth pairing prompts on the phone. That's it. Simples!

It creates a Bluetooth connection, but also sets up a WiFi link which works alongside this. You do not need to worry about the WiFi connection and it's configuration, the car and phone sort that out automatically. The car becomes a WiFi hotspot to which the phone connects. This WiFi connection gives no internet access, so the phone still uses mobile data of course.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, I have no Uvo app support in my 2. And no heated seats, or 64kWh battery, or front parking sensors etc. But I Do have wireless AA! Yippee! 😁

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV
32 Posts
Are you certain the USB stays on? Some rudimentary tests I did some time ago indicated it only stays on for a few minutes after powering down and exiting the car. Is there an LED indicator on the adapter, can you leave the car locked then return after some time and view it through the window to see if it remains on perhaps? (without opening or unlocking the doors etc).

If it really does stay on indefinitely (I would be quite surprised) but if that is the case be careful of gradual 12V drain issues. Any additional quiescent drain on these cars is not good. Peter.
Do Niro's have two USB ports at the front also? I have a Soul and one USB port is for data & power and one is for power only.

I remember reading somewhere that data port is not drawing power constantly (only when vehicle is on or the algorithm you mentioned). But power only port is drawing power all the time. - I quickly checked the manual and couldn't find this info and can't remember where I read this...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts