Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I struggled with this in the past on my previous cars.

My Son works in IT and he helped me with this on my other cars, I never seemed to get it working and gave up on it. I used to Bluetooth my music with Amazon Music or used my USB sticks.

When I got this car I had no intention of using it, however, that changed yesterday, I gave in and got myself a new Smart Phone.

My Son came around yesterday and tweaked a few things on it for me, then said, "let's try it in the car".

Within 5 minutes, he had the phone automatically connected to the car using Android Auto and then demonstrated how Spotify and Google Maps worked. I especially like the Satellite view on the Maps. Switching between stuff is easy to grasp and most importantly when I turn the car off and then back on, it just reconnects and restarts where I left off.

You can probably tell by my explanation I'm not that modern tech savvy.

So the fact that this just works, is for me impressive.

I have the phone connected to the USB socket on the right side of the console, that provides power to the phone, we did make the initial mistake of using USB C socket on the left side of the console (then I remembered seeing a video where it mentioned this was only for charging), swapped sockets and it worked.

Anyone else using this?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I've discovered you can send texts by voice control, plus it will read out your received texts, liking this tech.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's not just an Apple thing, Android "just works" too, providing you've installed Android Auto. With the added bonus that you can change settings so that you don't have to have it working just in the way that Apple want it to work!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had to live with an iPhone for a year, hated it! No flexibility, no concept that any way other than the Apple way might suit some people. But if I was buying a smart phone for my dad - then Apple would make sense.

I'm a habitual fiddler though, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I jail broke an iPhone once - changes loads of stuff and downloaded non approved apps - awful

my in-laws have androids and I have a few android tablets - absolute cluster of an interface ;)

menus behind menus and settings that are almost impossible to find ;)

iPhones work - well ;) at everything they do

but I get if you want to change things (maybe I’m thick but I honestly can’t think of what)

but hey - half the world like half each ;)

then there are some crazies who use other things

JJ

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have moderate IT Knowledge, us an Apple Mac, i Mac and i Pad, get on quite well with them, but as far as mobiles go I stick to android, I seem to know my way around those and have never been a fan of expensive mobiles, they're in many ways still just a phone for me, although I am using Apps more.

The point is, if my son hadn't of set up Android Auto, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

But it works so well for me. End of. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts