Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a Moto G8 Plus phone running Android v9.
I've installed the AA app.
When I plug the cable from the car into the phone, I get a notification that AA is running and has detected my car.
However, the AA icon on the infotainment system doesn't always illuminate.

I've tried rebooting both the phone and the headunit, but I've not yet found the magical combination to this to work. I've also tried different leads.

Has anyone found similar issues?

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I plug the cable from the car into the phone, I get a notification that AA is running and has detected my car.

I've tried rebooting both the phone and the headunit, but I've not yet found the magical combination to this to work. I've also tried different leads.

There have been reports that the two USB sockets (near the driver) don't behave the same - might be worth experimenting with those.
Also, the phone setting for the AA app might need checking, to remove it from 'intelligent power saving' mode to prevent any tendency for the app to doze off...

·
Registered
91 Posts
We added our phones, Moto g6 and g7 to the cars blue tooth first. Then down loaded the AA app. Connected the lead, then started the AA app and followed instructions of the app on the phones. We had not had Android Auto before, so just a thought that it may be worth uninstalling the app, then reinstall.
Both our phones work perfectly.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,353 Posts
Your phone needs to be in developer mode. Its in the manual. Go into settings on phone, then into system then into about phone then click like crazy 7 or 8 times on the Build number and it'll ask if you want to enable developer mode. (y)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have tried Developer mode, and I get the same. The phone notifies me that AA is connected, but the AA icon doesn't illuminate, and on the occasiona that it does it then displays a Connection Erro message. Have tried both USB sockets and different leads too. Annoyingly Apple CarPlay seems to work first time :-(

·
Zoe Devotee
8,353 Posts
Have tried Developer mode, and I get the same. The phone notifies me that AA is connected, but the AA icon doesn't illuminate, and on the occasiona that it does it then displays a Connection Erro message. Have tried both USB sockets and different leads too. Annoyingly Apple CarPlay seems to work first time :-(
I'll follow this.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
AA can be fussy about cables. Make sure you are using a good quality one.

Odd that MG requires Developer mode as never come across that in any other AA car. Maybe they forgot to switch it off in head unit before they shipped car :rolleyes:

Certainly isn't a normal AA requirement

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm

Also unable to connect AA. The reason I've been told is that I didn't set my phone up originally with a Gmail.com account as the account on the phone since I use my own Domain account (i.e xxxxxx.com) for email and as the account settings on every App from Google Play. I do have a Gmail.com account but this wasn't used and the Gmail.com mail servers forward mail to my domain mailbox.

So as Android Auto apparently only links to a phone installed with Gmail.com account I will have to, if my goto Android Auto IT expert has got it right, Zap my phone and set it up as a new phone on a Gmail account then migrate everything App by App to Gmail.com account. Or go without. Although I will try Sandy's Developer Mode trick and I could I guess configure an old/spare phone to test things with and prove the Car's systems?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm

Also unable to connect AA. The reason I've been told is that I didn't set my phone up originally with a Gmail.com account as the account on the phone since I use my own Domain account (i.e xxxxxx.com) for email and as the account settings on every App from Google Play. I do have a Gmail.com account but this wasn't used and the Gmail.com mail servers forward mail to my domain mailbox.

So as Android Auto apparently only links to a phone installed with Gmail.com account I will have to, if my goto Android Auto IT expert has got it right, Zap my phone and set it up as a new phone on a Gmail account then migrate everything App by App to Gmail.com account. Or go without. Although I will try Sandy's Developer Mode trick and I could I guess configure an old/spare phone to test things with and prove the Car's systems?
I don't know about your phone but many/most Android ones allow you to add an additional email account and its quite simple.
In my case I registered for a gmail account via Google using a laptop and once I'd checked that was ok just added it to the phone as a new working additional account...
That may be all that's necessary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm

A bit off topic but may help.

I had the same issue when setting up Google Assistant and various Nest devices. The full functionality doesn't work with G Suite accounts and requires a Gmail account so it sounds like this issue is similar.

If I am right,y youdon't need to format the phone. I got around it by using the Gmail account with specific Google apps, nothing else needed to be changed.

I just added the Gmail account to the phone, opened the Google app and changed the user account to the Gmail one. (I also changed a couple of others that aren't relevant.)

Everything else remains the same.

It is a bit of a pain as it switches itself back occasionally but mostly works fine.

I don't think Android Auto on Android has an account switcher so I assume it inherits the account info from the phone's Google app... Maybe try going into the Google app and switching that to your Gmail account before opening AA and see if it works. There is a little account icon... Just tap it and select the Gmail account rather than the G Suite one.

When I get the car I'll also try this and report back if I remember.

FWIW the full instructions I followed are here, this will be overkill for AA but might help if my instructions are not clear. Steps 2 and 3 are relevant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/aa55do

·
Registered
114 Posts
The full functionality doesn't work with G Suite accounts and requires a Gmail account so it sounds like this issue is similar.
I think you are spot on I cant use Google Assitant on the phone either and my Domain account I believe was set up as a G-Suit account only I don't think Google used that name for it back then.

Your Post and article seems just what I need. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you are spot on I cant use Google Assitant on the phone either and my Domain account I believe was set up as a G-Suit account only I don't think Google used that name for it back then.

I have the google assistant on my phone and a google home mini and I am bombarded with spam asking me to rate places that I have never been to, I managed to stop it but the Google home mini also stopped working

·
Registered
69 Posts

You're welcome, we've had the same problem for ages but having upgraded to various Nest devices I wanted to find a workaround before setting everything up again. It's such a pain to change afterwards, especially Google Home as you have to relink all the devices.

We had one hiccup when one device suddenly began defaulting to another account but a factory reset solved the problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Ah, unfortunately, it hasn't worked :( My wife's phone works so the car's Android Auto is apparently OK

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'd re-iterate the cable comment - I had to swap cables several times to get one to work with the Leaf.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've also seen various mentions of needing to remove any fluff that's found its way inside the usb connector on the phone...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd re-iterate the cable comment - I had to swap cables several times to get one to work with the Leaf.
The cable works with my wife's phone so I don't think it is going to be that issue. It's going to be I suspect this issue around Google Accounts. I normally use my own domain as a G-Suite account. I have added the base Gmail.com account to the phone. I've then reinstalled Android Auto and associated Android Auto with that Gmail Google account, but there are no cars at all to add in Android Auto settings.

·
Registered
114 Posts
remove any fluff that's found its way inside the usb connector on the phone
Unfortunately, I think fluff isn't the cause as since new the phone has been fitted with a tight-fitting magnetic connector which would prevent the ingress of fluff. As I said in reply to another forum member, it's going to be I suspect an issue with Google Accounts. I normally use my own domain as a G-Suite account. I have added the base Gmail.com account to the phone. I've then reinstalled Android Auto and associated Android Auto with that Gmail Google account, but there are no cars at all to add in Android Auto settings.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If we get our ZS tomorrow I will give this a go since I'm in the same situation... let's see if it works, might be able to narrow down the problem between us.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My son had an AAuto connection problem in both his car and mine, suggesting it was his phone. The fix was to update Google Play Services (not sure why that was needed, but we found the same advice in several forums). It worked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts